Bob Allen | Crime | Florida | Republican Party

Florida Rep. Bob Allen Guilty in Oral Sex Solicitation Trial

Florida GOP Rep. Bob Allen, arrested last July after offering a plainclothes police officer $20 for the opportunity to performer oral sex in a public men's room, was found guilty of soliciting prostitution by a jury that deliberated for 3 1/2 hours on Friday.

Bob_allen_2Immediately afterwards, the Orlando Sentinel reports, fellow lawmakers began demanding his resignation.

Said Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio: "This conviction makes it impossible for Rep. Allen to represent responsibly the citizens of his district. Furthermore, it is my personal belief that it harms the reputation of the Florida House of Representatives. We will now take the appropriate steps."

The Tallahassee Democrat reports: "Florida law provides automatic expulsion for legislators convicted of felonies but not misdemeanors. Speaker Marco Rubio, who already stripped Allen of his Energy Committee chairmanship, said the House would act further if Allen didn’t resign. Allen listened to the verdict, watched the jury leave and reached into the gallery to touch his wife, who sat behind him all week. 'We’re going to continue to seek justice,' Allen said. 'I am innocent; I’ve done nothing wrong.'

Allen's conviction on the second-degree misdemeanor charge carries a possible sentence of 60 days in county jail and a $500 fine, which prosecutors say they intend to seek. Allen must also now undergo testing for sexually-transmitted diseases, the results of which will be made public.

Comments

1. Man, would I like to be a fly on the wall, if Bob Allen ever runs into Larry Craig at a Republican convention. Allen: "Hmmm...wide stance. Maybe I should have tried that excuse." Craig: "There weren't any Black guys at the airport, so I couldn't use that one."
    Allen: "Larry, you're cuter than your mug shot." Craig: "Your stall or mine?"

Posted by: gr8guyca | Nov 12, 2007 8:48:58 AM

2. Holy sh*t, 60 days in jail for offering 20$ for a bj. People need to chill out.

...even if he is a big gay GOP homophobe hypocrite. This obsession with his personal sex life is beginning to feel so...conservative.

Posted by: Donovan | Nov 12, 2007 9:19:22 AM

3. Sure the guy is a liar and pretty much an asshole, but why would they make the results of his STD test PUBLIC?? That, somehow, just doesn't sit well with me - even for a bigoted, lying sonufabitch Republican.

Posted by: JOHN | Nov 12, 2007 9:21:49 AM

4. Good, a self hating homophobe and vile racist got convicted.

Posted by: Luke | Nov 12, 2007 9:25:45 AM

5. Wow! Does this mean someone is actually going to pay for being an irredeemable hypocrite? I'm speechless!

Posted by: MT | Nov 12, 2007 9:29:16 AM

6. He got what he deserved. No pity for hypocrites. These people do us harm by the way they vote. Nice to see some of that come back to him. Don't forget, he did this to himself.

Posted by: jake | Nov 12, 2007 9:55:19 AM

7. While it feels good to see the Larry Craigs and Bob Allens of the world held accountable for their behavior, I know many gay men who were formerly married and played the straight role that society expected of them.

Yes, it is dishonest and hypocritical, but the punishment seems out of line with the offense. While I expect his Republican peers to condemn him, I get no satisfaction from piling on.

Posted by: Voet | Nov 12, 2007 10:00:25 AM

8. Wow... what a bunch of hypocrites!! When the Malaysian's got busted in the gym, everyone was up in arms! I thought this board was all about the rights of gays to have sex when and where they wanted! Oh.. right.. but this guy was a Republican!.. come on.. you can't have it both ways!!

Posted by: Jeffrey | Nov 12, 2007 10:04:42 AM

9. John.. I totally agree.. that stuff should be made private..

And then I think.. he probably signed onto a bill somewhere about sex offenders that made it a requirement that they get tested and the results should be public information.

Isn't it ironic? Don't cha think?

Posted by: Darren | Nov 12, 2007 10:33:18 AM

10. Jeffrey, I think everyone is referring to the fact that Bob Allen voted against gay rights (ergo he has been deemed a hypocrite).

Posted by: RP | Nov 12, 2007 10:34:38 AM

11. "I thought this board was all about the rights of gays to have sex when and where they wanted!"

Um, wrong, Jeffrey--actually not what this board is about, shockingly enough. There were differences of opinion here about the Malaysia incident and about Rep. Allen's troubles. Furthermore, they are very different situations (was anyone in Malaysia convicted of soliciting prostitution? for instance), so reacting differently to the stories is not necessarily hypocritical.

It is (soon former) Rep. Allen who is, in fact, the hypocrite, working against gay rights publically while seeking gay sex privately. To see a hypocrite who is doing us harm get busted and forced out of office pleases many of us. Why wouldn't it? That said, I think a jail sentence for his "crime" is a ridiculous, typical sex-panicked overreaction, as is the requirement to get an STD test with public results. Not that I personally feel sorry for Allen's downfall. Sometimes karma does bite you in the ass.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 12, 2007 10:42:42 AM

12. $20... Presumably, the tip's included!

Posted by: Mac | Nov 12, 2007 11:11:26 AM

13. The punishment does not fit the $20 blowjob. Christmas on a Cracker! Guess it doesn't suck to be him as much as he would have liked......

Posted by: Newportjoey | Nov 12, 2007 11:40:26 AM

14. Actually, I for one could care less about his party affiliation, as long as he does not do the typical "family values" trash and vote down gay rights and civil rights, and then troll toilets for sex. And, I also am so tired of all these "married" men with urges for sex with other men, that is as low as you can stoop in this day and age. Deal with being bi, tri, or gay, but, this constant getting busted for sex in a nasty toilet, or with a hooker, shows these creeps have major issues.

Or, at least have the sense to rent a room.

Posted by: Sebastian | Nov 12, 2007 11:52:11 AM

15. Were there videos of the Malaysians? They're very attractive people--homo Republicans are obviously not.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 12, 2007 12:02:37 PM

16. While I'm glad the hypocrite(sp?) was convicted, like John & Ernie above I'm weirded out a bit by the making public his STD results.

Posted by: Lito S | Nov 12, 2007 12:12:18 PM

17. Could someone explain how he's voted or promoted anti-gay legislation? I know he was pushing the Lewd and Lascivious Act about public sex acts, but I never saw anything that proves he specifically supported anti-gay laws.

Anyone have any links?

Posted by: Donny B | Nov 12, 2007 12:18:37 PM

18. I am with all the posters who are weirded out - while I experience a wonderful schadenfreude every time an anti-gay hypocrite is nailed, at the same time you know the jury found him guilty and the sentence is harsh BECAUSE it is "gay stuff". Hit and Run = 3 days jail, offering someone cash = 60 days? Come on... plus the STD results made public is a gross violation of privacy. I don't like the precedent this sets, and you guys shouldn't either, next time a gay club is raided and the names and faces of the patrons publicized....

Posted by: Strepsi | Nov 12, 2007 12:19:58 PM

19. "next time a gay club is raided and the names and faces of the patrons publicized"???

And that would happen where? The only time that sort of thing happens is when people are having sex in public, and as we've beaten into the ground---most guys doing that sort of thing identify as straight. Gay clubs have been legal for quite a while now, everywhere in the US.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 12, 2007 12:30:31 PM

20. What is the point of forcing him to be tested for STDs and then releasing the results? To humiliate and demean him. Florida is possibly the strangest state in the country. Where else can you find the most sleazy adult establishments and draconian laws against sex?

Posted by: wetcnt | Nov 12, 2007 12:30:45 PM

21. Donny B,

According to 365gay.com @
    In the last session of the Florida legislature he [Rep. Bob Allen] sponsored a failed bill that would have tightened the state's prohibition on public sex. He also has been a supporter of amending the state constitution to ban same-sex marriage and has opposed a bill to curb bullying of gay students.

Posted by: nic | Nov 12, 2007 2:05:36 PM

22. NIC, I think he sponsored those bills to help control his urges. Similar to the psychology of those mad anti gay types like Schafly and Keyes, who you find out have gay offspring.

Posted by: Vi Agara | Nov 12, 2007 2:50:14 PM

23. VI AGARA,

you may be right. but when unhappy, emotionally stunted people like this asshole and the ones you mentioned impact our people -- gay people -- negatively, it is hard for me to look for rationales.

Posted by: nic | Nov 12, 2007 8:25:44 PM

24. Thanks, NIC. I saw a lot of comments, but no real evidence, until that link. He is so very sad.

Posted by: Donny B | Nov 14, 2007 11:24:38 PM