Amy Sedaris | Dolly Parton | Music | Music Video | News

Video Director Discusses Dolly Parton / Amy Sedaris Collaboration

Steve Lipman (aka Flip), who directed the video I posted yesterday for Dolly Parton's new single "Better Get to Livin'", talked to Amy Sedaris Rocks about how their collaboration came about:

Sedaris"The thought of casting Amy came from myself and my creative team — we’re all longtime fans. I can remember seeing her shows at La Mama years ago, and immediately succumbed to the insanity. As for the video, the roles were already sketched out, but then I had the idea of getting Amy to do all 3 of them, like Peter Sellers used to do in his movies. I suggested this to Dolly and her team, and they thought it was a great idea. Next thing you know, we approached Amy and she said “yes”. It was the promise that Amy would share a scene with a monkey, and of course, Dolly, that sealed the deal. Wow. Imagine 2 days of filming with Dolly and Amy. This is when show biz has its perks. Amy improvised a lot, and the costume designer Adam Selman and make-up artist Chris Colbeck helped her bring the characters to life, beyond anything I imagined. We all had a blast making the video, and it doesn’t surprise me that there is so much overlap in the fan base with Dolly and Amy. They are both generous and genius one-of-a-kind talents."

I've posted the video one more time, after the jump...

Comments

1. OMG I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK

I f*cking love them both! That is so crazy! I never would have thought of pairing them in a million years!

Dolly is so damn cute. Anyone know when the album comes out?

Posted by: Wes | Nov 29, 2007 10:26:06 AM

2. HA... missed this the first time you posted it.

Posted by: Wes | Nov 29, 2007 10:51:51 AM

3. "It was the promise that Amy would share a scene with a monkey" -- how do i get my hands on this agent/lawyer's job?

Posted by: Nate | Nov 29, 2007 11:12:38 AM

4. Sometimes life gives us something that is so truly amazing that I feel I'm not even worthy to gaze upon it. That video is one of those things.

Posted by: Gregoire | Nov 29, 2007 1:30:48 PM

5. Cute - love some Dolly and Amy. Would have been even better if Amy played ALL the other roles including the Weeping Woman.

So everyone is excited that Amy plays three roles, but no-one gives a thought to the three enormous WIGS that gave their lives for this video.

I particularly like Dolly's Beverly Hillbillies beehive in the trailer.

Posted by: Strepsi | Nov 29, 2007 3:50:50 PM

6. Dolly singing "I'm not the Dalai Lama" is my new mantra at yoga.

STREOSI: Amy playing the weeping woman would have been amazing! In fact she could have played all the women -- sorta Matrix style -- and made me have a stroke from the awesomeness of it all

Posted by: page001 | Nov 29, 2007 9:43:06 PM