Florida | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment in Florida Short of Needed Signatures

In December the Florida4Marriage.org Campaign trumpeted that they had reached the necessary 611,000 signatures required to put an amendment on the ballot that would make the state's ban on same-sex marriage permanent.

FloridaToday, the Department of State announced that they are short by 22,000, according to the Miami Herald:

"Sterling Ivey, a spokesman for Secretary of State Kurt Browning, said the new count revealed that Miami-Dade's election offices had 'double-counted' some 27,000 paper petitions that were turned in prior to January 2006. Florida already bans gay marriage in state law, but organizers are seeking the amendment to ensure the ban is not overturned by a legal challenge. Opponents of the amendment, however, have countered that the measure is more far-reaching and could affect civil unions and threaten benefits for same-sex employees."

It's not all good news. If they find enough bigots, they still may make the deadline, which is February 1st.

Comments

1. Congrats Zeke! Sometimes the good guys win. We'll toast your beautiful family and this (interim) victory tonight. It is not everything our families deserve but it is a milestone victory.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 14, 2008 4:36:46 PM

2. Thanks Rudy my friend.

I've spent a considerable amount of time over the last couple of months preparing for this impending state-wide battle. My UCC church has been working with Fairness for ALL Families to fight this hateful, hurtful and harmful amendment.

Check out our church's resolution at ucctampabay.org. I wrote it. Our (overwhelmingly straight) congregation passed it UNANYMOUSLY!

I hope this thing's dead in the water at this point.

Forget the fact that they are 20,000 signatures short as of now. The signatures that have been counted have ONLY been counted, not VERIFIED. Everyone knows that a significant percentage of signatures in any referendum drive turn out to be inadmissable.

Still crossing my fingers!

I prefer to spend the next several months fighting for a significant change in Washington D.C. and not fighting against homophobic bigots who have nothing better to do than attack my family.

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 14, 2008 5:21:31 PM

3. God I hate living in this state more and more. This latest assault on me and my fellow gay Floridians is just appalling. The holy joes who run these obscene megachurche money-machines need to be taxed and taxed hard. Their obsession with scapegoating is sickening. Even moreso is our deeply-closeted governor, Charlie Crist who should be fighting this potential amendment to the Florida Constitution with guns blazing.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 14, 2008 7:12:20 PM

4. Excellent news. The problem is that these little pigs are persistent because they're compulsive haters.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Jan 14, 2008 7:57:31 PM

5. Um, I forgot that Florida moved our primary up to January 29th.

The assholes are planning to have petition sign ups at all of the polling places. This will give them a chance to pull off the 22,000 at the very last minute.

I still think we need to make sure that there are no duplicate signers, no unregistered voters, no fake names, etc, etc, etc. We know all the tricks that these people pull every time one of these things comes up.

Of course I doubt we can expect ANY help from the DNC (especially considering the latest revelations on their gay unfriendly ways), the state Democratic Party (unlike the Republican Party who finance the lion's share of this effort) or any of the major Democratic candidates.

They want my money, my time and my vote and then they want me and my family to just go away.

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 14, 2008 8:16:03 PM

6. Well this Christmas my partner gave US a vacation for late spring..with a choice of 3 places, Europe (which is too expensive now ie: the falling dollar),Cancun or Florida...I said "Fuck Florida"! If they wanna pass this ammendment - Ill never go there again,they're not gettin' my tourism dollars-> (another state in America to avoid) so we're goin to Cancun.

Posted by: Disgusted american | Jan 15, 2008 1:13:19 PM

7. There is an organization, Florida Red and Blue, that is fighting this amendment. Their web site is Floridaredandblue.com. This is one issue where all of us who live in Florida (and anywhere else if you like coming here for vacation) should be on top of. Please check out the web site. And, give money to help stop this proposed amendment.

Posted by: TomJ | Jan 19, 2008 7:28:45 PM