California | Gay Marriage | George Takei | News

BigGayDeal.com

Star Trek's George Takei and Brad Altman Talk Marriage

Takei_altman

Star Trek actor George Takei and his partner Brad Altman talked to Julie Chen on The Early Show yesterday about their proposal and upcoming marriage, which they have planned for September in order to go through the "delicious anguish" of planning.

Said Altman: "It's not about a political statement, it's about legally in California -- the California Supreme Court says everybody is equally entitled to marriage. This is the first time -- George and I have been together more than 21 years in good times and bad times through sickness and health and for the first time we can legally marry each other and I'm just thrilled."

Added Takei: "To us it's about love. But it's the climate we are entering that makes it political. For us, it's love and we get to make it a marriage."

LAst week Takei made headlines when it was revealed that former Star Trek cast members would make up the wedding party, but that William Shatner had been snubbed.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Plus, our ongoing coverage...
Outside City Hall [tr]
Inside City Hall: Del and Phyllis Cut the Cake [tr]
Same-Sex Marriage Legal in California [tr]
The First Same-Sex Couple to Marry in L.A. [tr]
5:01 PM [tr]

Previously
Crew of Enterprise, Aside from Kirk, to Helm Dr. Sulu's Wedding [tr]

Comments

1. It's going to be one fucking weird wedding. Mr. Checkov is the best man, and Lt. Uhura is the matron of honor, and the entire Howard Stern crew is going to be there as well. It's kind of beautiful, actually.

I've heard the Westboro Baptist Church people are going to picket his wedding. I think if George just implored every crazy Star Trek fan in the country to come and face them down, they wouldn't know what hit them. Those Trek fans are the only good fundamentalists I can think of.

Posted by: Yeek | Jun 17, 2008 10:14:26 AM

2. Weird or not Yeek, it's going to be great and I hope it gets all the attention it deserves. With California clerks deciding not to hold any weddings at all, I'm afraid that we're in for a long, difficult process. Some straights have started resorting to civil disobedience in an attempt to bring things to a halt (as previously reported in Towerload) and it will be years before full marriage rights are spread throughout the entire nation -- it may be decades (let's not forget that it will take an eventual ruling the by the Supreme Farts of the land). I'm happy, but also a bit scared. A lot of shit went down (and is going down) during the Civil Rights movement before minorities got the few rights they enjoy now. It's not going to be any different for us.

www.mercutiomeanders.blogspot.com

Posted by: Mercutio | Jun 17, 2008 10:27:57 AM

3. That was sweet.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 17, 2008 10:33:52 AM

4. All good points, Mercutio. I just think we need to pull other groups of outcasts onto our bandwagon for extra support, and George is actually a great poster child for this. Howard Stern fans and sci fi geeks? Hell yeah! I'll take any allies I can get.

I really think it's a quintessentially American story. A gay Japanese-American science fiction icon raised in an internment camp, marrying a Jewish man with a Russian Jew as best man and black woman as maid of honor, with a once anti-gay and now pro-gay shock jock and enemy of the FCC among the guests. It's just fucking awesome.

Plus, I can't wait to see the cake.

Posted by: Yeek | Jun 17, 2008 10:42:53 AM

5. I don't know who said it or where I read it, but it bears repeating:

"Lt. Sulu, set your phaser to STUNNING!"

Posted by: i before e | Jun 17, 2008 10:52:39 AM

6. Mercutio, it is not going to be easy. We have some very narrow-minded,stubborn assholes running our country. The bigoted and the uneducated will not be easily moved, but we have made a start. With CA. and MA. leading the way, we have made a start. Don't forget that a journey of a thousand miles starts with ONE step.

Posted by: SONNIE | Jun 17, 2008 11:23:51 AM

7. Thanks Yeek, Sonnie.

Sonnie, it will be VERY hard. I wrote a post earlier this morning on my blog about the stomach pain I feel whenever the issue comes up -- as this is the first battle of a long war that I'm not sure I have the stomach for any longer. After many, many years in Washington D.C., I've been jaded to the point that all I see is the fight and konw it's going to be a long one. How many paintings will there be of gay couples being turned away at church steps while holding marriage licenses? How many post-hoc amendments will crush gay families? There are more of them than there are of us. And, we don't exactly have friendly courts on our side. At least not yet.

Posted by: Mercutio | Jun 17, 2008 11:47:20 AM

8. Who is Julie Chen and why is she on TV all the time even the Tony’s? Why she’s the NEW Pia Zadora, Married to CBS Executive hack Leslie “no brain” Moonves. Les thinks Julie has lots of talent so he’s going to force her talent-less ass on every one.

Posted by: hootn | Jun 17, 2008 12:06:30 PM

9. Awww, they're so cute. Congrats to them and all the marrying couples.

Posted by: Chas | Jun 17, 2008 12:40:38 PM

10. Mercutio, your suffer from The Power of Negative Thinking. That's what's got you stomach in knots. Why do you believe that every time we do something to fight our enemies we'll lose?

History proves otherwise.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 17, 2008 12:43:33 PM

11. Lose Chas? No way! Absolutely not. We will win, because we must. The knot comes from knowing everything that must be done to get there. It comes from knowing that we've won a battle, but the war is going to go on for years, and that it will cost dearly.

History proves that victories are not handed over, they are hard-fought. History also proves that very-often, things get worse, before they get better. History does prove, that WE WILL WIN, as you know. But, I wonder how many of us are ready to pick up and actually do all that must be done to get the righs and recognition we are entitled to get?

The power of positive thinking be damned. Call me a realist, or show me differently.

www.mercutiomeanders.blogspot.com