Florida | Gay Adoption | News

Florida Democratic Rep. Darryl Rouson's Anti-Gay Adoption Stance

Rouson

An appearance by Florida State Democratic Rep. Darryl Rouson (formerly Republican) on a talk show discussing adoption by same-sex couples has been raising eyebrows.

Said Rouson: "I think it is wrong to allow adoptions of children by gay and lesbian couples. It sends a wrong message early to a child during formative years that’s hard to overcome just by sitting down and talking to them."

As well as, "I think lesbianism and homosexuality is morally wrong. The law is supposed to discriminate sometimes, in some respects, it is supposed to discriminate against social order and anarchy."

Rouson is running against Rev. Charles McKenzie in the August 26th Democratic primary. McKenzie supports anti-discrimination laws and opposes Amendment 2, the Marriage Protection Amendment.

Watch it AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. But I thought the Democrats were our friends? How can this be? I guess this explains why neither a Democratic Congress nor Democratic Presidents have ever provided us any rights notwithstanding their pandering rhetoric through which they use us as mere tools in their grab for power. (After all, in order to secure those self-serving earmarks a corrupt politician first must figure out a path to power, and for the Democrats that path to power is on the back of the LGBTQ community.) Ain't politics just grand? I laugh when people say that the Democrats care about us . . . they really, really care about us. Really.

Posted by: ThatsRich | Aug 6, 2008 10:12:05 AM

2. "I think..."

How often do we hear that from the Sally Kerns, the Darryl Rousons, even the Elizabeth Hasselbecks of the world. I I I I, this is how I think, hence it must be put into law that others cannot challenge my beliefs, or merely live by their own.

The first person pronoun is very popular with the insecure and self righteous.

Posted by: LD | Aug 6, 2008 10:23:06 AM

3. Once a Republican, always a Republican...

Posted by: UhOhChongo | Aug 6, 2008 10:23:31 AM

4. Once a Republican, always a Republican...

Posted by: UhOhChongo | Aug 6, 2008 10:23:43 AM

5. dick. a black person who isn't for civil rights is a race traitor and a fucking entitled dumbass.

Posted by: ian | Aug 6, 2008 10:31:19 AM

6. Obviously this asshole..hasn't listened to the words of Corretta Scott King..or that it was a Gay Black man who Helped Pen the "I have a Dream speech"? This guy should be ashamed of himself....Once religion was Once USED to discriminate against him...I'd love to belt him in the mouth! Since when is discrimination "Ok" to use...? This guy is a Major Asshole!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Aug 6, 2008 10:31:21 AM

7. dick. a black person who isn't for civil rights is a race traitor and a fucking entitled dumbass.

Posted by: ian | Aug 6, 2008 10:33:28 AM

8. And once a Christian always a Christian. Rep. Rouson has apprently "forgotten" that the Bible says it's perfectly OK for people to own his pathetic black ass.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 6, 2008 10:34:23 AM

9. Dear Mr. Rouson,
    The Klan agrees with you. I’m sure they’re glad you support them.
    P.S. The Ten Commandments doesn’t say anything about homosexuality.

Posted by: 1♥ | Aug 6, 2008 10:37:35 AM

10. How will he explain to his children and help them overcome the message he's sent – that he's a bigoted asshole?

Posted by: BD1421 | Aug 6, 2008 10:37:38 AM

11. " The law is supposed to discriminate sometimes...." Is he kidding me?? Doesn't Rep. Rouson remember that there was a time not that long ago historically speaking when the law was "supposed to discriminate" against African-Americans? Just goes to show, yesterday's oppressed becomes tomorrow's oppressors.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 6, 2008 10:38:42 AM

12. My, who knew that I was sowing the seeds of "social order and anarchy" just by existing? All those years of working, shopping and watching TV have been for nothing!

Posted by: David D. | Aug 6, 2008 10:40:45 AM

13. ...at least he was shut down by the others on the panel and the disscussion was civil...plus, he looked like an ass in the end..pun intended...

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Aug 6, 2008 10:57:27 AM

14. Hmmm. A black man who is FOR discrimination. I wonder if he would like to come work for me? In chains of course. Picking cotton would be involved. I would of course have full reign over his wfe, and sell off his children. Discrimination is never the way to go.

Harsh-yes. I'm just sick of the ignorance.

Posted by: OTTO | Aug 6, 2008 10:57:30 AM

15. I sent him this email to his site:

As a Heterosexual citizen,and LGBT supporter ...I saw the clip of you on a tv program talking about Gays & Lesbians adopting...and may I say I was Shocked to hear your response. What a disappointment you are as a Democratic representitive? ..of supposedly ALL citizens NOT just the heterosexual community..then Invoking your personal opinion about Morals? You sound like a GOP boot licker. Maybe YOU SIR, need to READ the writings of Corretta Scott King regarding LGBT issues...It was Gay people (risking thier lives) who Marched in Selma as well as other places for YOUR CIVIL Rights...also, the "I Have a Dream" speech was co-written by a Gay Black man...and to top it off...you use hollier then thou rhetoric about morals..then say it's "OK" sometimes to discriminate? Excuse me? Interesting..since that Tactic WAS USED against Blacks for decades/centuries..USING Religious Backing!!! You are a complete Disappointment..and another reason to avoid Florida Tourism all together with my America Tax dollars! Why don't you join the GOP? You sound like them...and they'll PRETEND to like you IF you "Side with thier opinions on Important Issues" that Actually affect Children/families of LGBT citizens which it sounds like you do...a Sad & Pathetic Representative you are sir!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Aug 6, 2008 10:58:11 AM

16. Ugh, another Republican opportunist switching over to the Democratic party for a chance at winning. GO BACK!

Posted by: Jason | Aug 6, 2008 11:13:49 AM

17. "Once a Republican, always a Republican..."

Exactly . . . just like Hillary Clinton who was a former Goldwater girl. I guess it was Hillary's Republican roots from her formative years that explains her subsequent support for DADT and DOMA during Bill's homophobic administration.

Posted by: ThatsRich | Aug 6, 2008 11:18:13 AM

18. So wasn't slavery the social order of the pre-Civil War era for at least half the country? And weren't the black men and women who married starting in 1866 when it was allowed given hell for the actions?

African-Americans who are against gay equality are such hypocrits!

Posted by: J.P. | Aug 6, 2008 11:22:46 AM

19. Democrats may not be our friends, but Republicans are our shameless enemies. They outright demonize us to win elections, hell they actually declare a f*cking culture WAR on us, so I'd like to see a log cabinite explain why we should give one shit about them when it comes to how much they 'care' about us.

I'd rather vote for the party that exploits tolerance for votes rather than exploiting bigotry. They may both be using us, but at least one isn't using us as scapegoats.

I mean really, attack the dems because the reps have such a shining record on gay rights. Like being the reason we need them to begin with.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 6, 2008 11:26:29 AM

20. What century do these people live in? It's hard to believe they can say these things on TV! Have they read anything since 1960? They live in the US?

Posted by: Kevinvt | Aug 6, 2008 11:30:38 AM

21. "I think lesbianism and homosexuality is morally wrong. The law is supposed to discriminate sometimes, in some respects, it is supposed to discriminate against social order and anarchy."

I think the law should also discriminate against stupidity. I vote there should be a law that everytime an asshole-ish statement such as this is made publicly, someone appears, pointing their finger at you and laughs hysterically. I also vote for wide-spread use of whoopie cushions, "kick me" signs, and being read by fierce drag queens who've done too much caffeine.

Posted by: Alex | Aug 6, 2008 11:31:41 AM

22. Yo, Thatsrich: take a look at the previous post on Harvey Milk Day:

The California Senate approved May 22 as 'Harvey Milk Day' by a 22-13 vote along party lines.

Guess which party was on which side!

Not ONE Republican voted for. Not one! Not a single one. No Log Cabin influence there!

Posted by: Kevinvt | Aug 6, 2008 11:35:48 AM

23. He's today's version of "Uncle Tom's Cabin's" 'house nigger'.
    Despicable

HOUSE NIGGER

Posted by: tom | Aug 6, 2008 11:40:37 AM

24. THATSRICH is only proving the same thing Rouson did: once retarded ALWAYS retarded.

Harvey Milk campaigned for Goldwater, too, asshat, and he wasn't a naive 17 like Hillary! Her husband made many mistakes but his was still the gay-friendliest admin we've ever had. I'd rerun the list [Federal civilian employees discrimination ban, first out US ambassador, federal judge, etc., etc.] but you're too retarded to read it all.

As for everyone else, fight Rouson's vicious hatred with fewer words and more money: send a few dollars to help his gay-positive [and, BTW, also black] opponent win the nomination at

www.mckenzie2008.com.