Charlie Crist | Florida | Gay Marriage | News

Florida Governor Charlie Crist Says He Supports Gay Marriage Ban

This nugget came at the end of a long article about Crist's support of Florida's "tax swap" amendment:

Crist"Also on Monday, Crist said he supported Amendment Two which would constitutionally ban gay marriage in the state. Such unions are already illegal in Florida and Crist has previously shied away from the issue, saying he has a 'live and let live' attitude."

Crist proposed to girlfriend Carole Rome, who runs a company that manufactures beards, at the beginning of July. At that time, Crist was asked about his motivations behind getting married as well as the ongoing rumors that he's gay:

"The governor says he's not surprised that some people think he's getting married, to improve his chances of being picked by John McCain as the Repubican vice-presidential candidate. He said nothing could be further from the truth. Governor Crist also responded to rumors about his sexuality. A reporter asked Crist his reaction to some people's preoccupation with his sexuality, and sexual orientation. Crist responded, 'Well, you know, when you're in the public eye, and being governor of Florida that's inevitable, you know, I don't really focus on it, I'm just damn glad I found such a wonderful lady.' He was also asked if rumors about his sexual orientation or other rumors that he may be a heterosexual serial philanderer bother him. Governor Crist replied, 'Well, lack of truth always would be disturbing to somebody.'"

Previously
The Governor's Wife [tr]
Charlie Crist Hasn't Found the Right 'One' Since His Divorce [tr]
GOP Strategist Peddling 'Charlie Crist Sex Tape' to Kill Gay Rumors? [tr]
Jeb Bush Blocks Reporter Questioning Charlie Crist's Sexuality [tr]
Fla GOP Gov. Candidate Charlie Crist: I Never Had Sex with a Man [tr]
Opponent Outs Florida Gubernatorial Candidate Charlie Crist [tr]

Comments

1. Et tu, Brute? We have so many damn problems from Jeb!, he should have kept his mouth shut. You ain't getting the job, Charlie.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Aug 5, 2008 9:20:40 AM

2. So now, for political expediency it would seem, Charlie Crist is opposed to gay marriage. If he is gay or even bi-sexual and has had any kind of sexual encounter with another man, I hope that is made public. If there ever has been a time to expose Crist, it is now. If there is no proof no "smoking gun" or smoking penis, if you will, then these rumors should stop. Now is the time to put up or shut up. If Crist is a hypocrite, let him be exposed now. It appears he has sold his soul for a shot at being McBush's VP. I hope he pays dearly.

Posted by: Bob R | Aug 5, 2008 9:24:29 AM

3. Amen, Bob. If there is any truth to the rumors, I hope he is shown to be the raving hypocrite so many claim he is. I'm so tired of these politicians and religious leaders throwing gay people and gay rights to the wolves to gain points with their constituencies, only to be exposed as total shams later.

Posted by: Larry | Aug 5, 2008 9:31:22 AM

4. Poor Charlie. He looks as if he's spent too much time under the Miami sun. I've heard it doesn't exactly do wonders for one's credibility.

Posted by: jason | Aug 5, 2008 9:36:08 AM

5. I had a smoking penis once. It burns.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 5, 2008 9:40:14 AM

6. He's desperately trying to become VP, but I think two trophy wives on one ticket will kill the deal.

Posted by: anon | Aug 5, 2008 9:46:14 AM

7. About a year ago, I saw an article in TIME magazine about Gov. Crist. The article claimed that he was the "anti-Jeb" and the face of the "new" republican party. Crist said he would oppose offshore drilling in Florida, and fix our lagging educational system (one of the worst in the nation.) He also stated that he did not want his party to pursue any anti-gay marriage initiatives. I was actually excited to have a governor that, although I may not agree on every view he had in how to run the government, was intelligent and wanted the best for our state.

Wow, was I wrong.

Every position that made him different than Jeb has now been changed to the usual Republican stupidity. Jeb had an approval rating in the 20's! Crist had been enjoying the highest approval rating in the nation until these past few months, where his ratings have slid. WHY is he being so STUPID?!?

You know, I used to think that not all republicans were dumb, but this recent election has shown me that even the "maverick" and "smart" and "new" republicans are all the same, making the same stupid decisions when the heat is on.

I've been rather supportive of you, Gov. Crist, but this is the last straw. Here's one democrat that will never sing your praises again...

Posted by: Mike | Aug 5, 2008 10:09:18 AM

8. Dosn't anyone have any info on this FREAK? Come on...something? Anyone? I say we OUT HIM ASAP! He deserves it!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Aug 5, 2008 10:13:21 AM

9. There's been plenty of coverage of Charlie Crist's sexcapades, Bob r. Go Google "Charles Crist" + "Gay." HE'S GAY!
    "Proof" is the bought-and-paid-for-whores of the "Mainstream" media recognizing this simple fact, which of course they never will. Even if Crist were caught doing a Larry Craig tomorrow.

Hell they won't even call Craig for what he is!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 5, 2008 10:15:53 AM

10. What a sad, desperate, over-tanned joke.

Posted by: paul | Aug 5, 2008 10:43:48 AM

11. His girlfriend manufacturers beards?! You can't make this sh*t up.

Posted by: Brandon | Aug 5, 2008 11:17:13 AM

12. I agree Bob R - he's on the record opposing same-sex marriage so he can officially be labeled a public hypocrite.

I've seen the story about some gay bar owner around Tampa who claims Crist used to frequent his bar all the time. Time to go public or move on for good.

Posted by: ATLsteve | Aug 5, 2008 12:43:19 PM

13. Haha! I see a BFF for Dina McGreevey coming down the pike in the form of Carol Rome.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 5, 2008 3:50:22 PM

14. What a despicable self-loathing hypocrite. The biggest homophobes are always the closet cases. Karma is going to bite back hard when Cristie falls to get the VP nom; he will have sold what litlle is left of his dignity for naught. Then he'll be stuck with his little charade. At least they appear to be able to save money by using the same bronzer.

Posted by: rudy | Aug 5, 2008 5:08:47 PM

15. gee...what a coincidence that he proposed to his "girlfriend" during the peak of the VP search ! I agree with what someone else said..karma is a bitch !

Posted by: bill | Aug 5, 2008 7:23:00 PM

16. I agree. As a Floridian, I am sick of our state being run by these dumb-ass Republicans. It's time for someone with some credibility to STEP-UP and out Charlie Crist for what everyone already knows he is. We should all be proud of our sexual orientation. But Crist is now displaying his hypocritical potential by opposing our rights and closeting himself even further by maryying this "Clueless Clara."

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Aug 5, 2008 11:33:11 PM

17. Bob R., I hope your challenge is taken up by someone and fulfilled. I would LOVE to see Crist get "shot down" by his own hypocrisy--he deserves it! What an @sshole (wonder what all the LCRs have to say about this?).

Posted by: mike | Aug 10, 2008 12:45:45 PM

18. Hey Charlie, how about a big dose of 'Go Fuck Yourself', douchebag?

Posted by: CK | Aug 11, 2008 10:21:05 AM