Arizona | California | Florida | Gay Marriage | News

'No on Prop 8' Marriage Equality Update: Please Help

Escondido

There has been so much activity this week in the campaign to defeat Proposition 8 this week that I haven't had a chance to post many of the items. Here's a round-up of those with today's news.

The campaign still needs your help. According to tracking from the 'No on Prop 8' campaign, Towleroad readers have donated $65,318.

You can donate by clicking HERE.

road.jpg This weekend, there is a big 'Yes on 8' demonstration in Huntington Beach. I have been contacted by counter-protestors who would like people to join them with 'No on 8' signs to counter the anti-gay bigots, Sunday at noon at the Huntington Beach Pier.

road.jpg Jennifer Schumaker, a lesbian mother of four in Escondido, California, has taken the 'No on Prop 8' battle to the streets (above): "Two years after she walked from San Diego to San Francisco to protest prejudice against homosexuals, Schumaker has begun spending weekday afternoons in downtown Escondido waving signs with messages supporting same-sex marriage. Since Schumaker began standing at the corner of Valley Parkway and Escondido Boulevard on Oct. 13, a growing number of local high school and college students have steadily joined her."

Appleroad.jpg Apple has come out in opposition to Proposition 8 and made a $100,000 donation to the 'No on Prop 8' campaign.

road.jpg Former GOP congressman Tom Campbell came out against Proposition 8 today in an editorial on Reason.com.

road.jpg Earlier this week, the L.A. Times reported on the battle between Black clergy on the issue: "Two groups of African American ministers held dueling lunchtime news conferences in South Los Angeles on Tuesday to rally support for and against Proposition 8, which would amend the state Constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman."

Fait_2005road.jpg Glenn Fait, former GOP mayor and councilman of Folsom, California, comes out of the closet with an ad in the paper announcing he's gay and urges people to vote 'No' on Prop 8: "Fait, 65, said he felt so strongly about his opposition to Proposition 8, the ballot initiative that seeks to ban same-sex marriage, that he decided to out himself to the community where he has lived for more than 40 years. 'I think people will be surprised,' said Fait. The one-time president of the Rotary Club said he wanted to do something beyond donating and volunteering against the ballot measure. 'For weeks, I was trying to figure out what I can do and then I thought, well, I can do this.' Fait paid $660 for the quarter-page ad that ran Wednesday in the weekly Folsom Telegraph, which has a printing of 17,000. 'I have lived in Folsom most of my life,' the ad began. 'As a gay man, I have a personal interest in Proposition 8. My civil rights are at stake.'"

road.jpg Who's behind anti-gay contributions in Orange County? Find out here.

road.jpg A PETITION by the Courage Campaign to the Mormon church President Thomas Monson asking him to stop his faith's participation in the 'Yes on 8' campaign has been posted online.

Birgeneauroad.jpg Robert J. Birgeneau, the Chancellor of UC Berkeley, sent a message to the entire campus informing them of the impacts of Proposition 8: "Proposition 8 is in conflict with the principles of equity and inclusion to which our campus is committed. Berkeley supports the full inclusion and equal treatment of all members of our community and we have affirmed the position that any treatment of individuals that is not equal and inclusive is discriminatory. In denying a fundamental civil right, passage of Proposition 8 would undermine these principles, not just for our LGBTQ community, but for all racial, religious and cultural minorities and would harm the university as a whole."

road.jpg Riding the Cultural Divide: What's at stake with Proposition 8.

road.jpg GLAAD has donated $50,000 to fight Prop. 8. Said President Neil Giuliano: "GLAAD, our board of directors and staff are proud to stand alongside organizations and allies and play our part in ensuring all loving and committed couples in California continue to have the protections and respect that marriage provides. Defeating Proposition 8 is imperative to our quest for equality and we call on all our members and friends to support this campaign."

road.jpg Good As You has a round-up of 'No on 8' clips.

Here is a round-up of recent clips on Prop 8

REPUBLICANS AGAINST 8: Republicans against 8 released this clip, "backwards," earlier this week.

ITZHAK PERLMAN: The world-famous violinist speaks out against Prop 8.

RELIGIOUS LEADERS: Clergy from across the state speak out.

GOT HOPE? I posted about this clip, based on a Harvey Milk quote, earlier this week.

IN FLORIDA:

road.jpg A complaint has been filed with the Florida Elections Commission that the group behind the measure to ban same-sex marriage in the state is using illegal means to hide the identity of its donors: "Florida Red & Blue, which opposes the amendment that would add a definition of marriage to the Florida Constitution, contends that Florida4Marriage.org received more than $775,000 in contributions from Florida Family Action Inc., a not-for-profit 501c(4). Contributors to a 501c(4) can remain confidential, while those giving directly to Florida4Marriage .org are publicly reported. 'This is outrageous and an intentional attempt to keep donors secret,' said Derek Newton, campaign manager for Florida Red & Blue. 'Florida voters deserve to know who is funding this change to our state constitution.' John Stemberger, head of Florida4Marriage.org, dismissed the complaint as frivolous. He said the use of a 501c(4) organization to raise money for a constitutional amendment is legal and common throughout the country."

road.jpg Opponents of same-sex marriage in the state are spreading the ugly message that if Amendment 2 fails "kids will be indoctrinated into the homosexual lifestyle": "John Stemberger, the force behind the proposed anti-gay marriage constitutional amendment on the Nov. 4 ballot, cited cases in other states where similar proposals failed, resulting in teachers of students as young as 7 years old using books about same-sex marriage to promote diversity in families."

You can donate by clicking HERE.

Vote No on Prop 102 [arizona]
No on 2 [florida]

Comments

1. Yay, my purchase of Apple's new macbook pro was well worth it now that I see how they use some of their money for good things. :)

Posted by: Leee | Oct 24, 2008 5:28:57 PM

2. Does anyone have any more info about the counter-protest in Huntington Beach?

Posted by: John | Oct 24, 2008 5:39:04 PM

3. Thank you Apple for your support!

Way back in the day, when I was still closeted, I bought my first computer and chose a Mac. "Tsk, tsk, tsk," went my evangelical friends. "Don't you know that they are providing benefits for domestic partners of employees?" this being long before such benefits were common.

As a matter of fact, I did know that, and have always found the Mac to be the gayest computer around.

Posted by: KJ | Oct 24, 2008 5:45:45 PM

4. It's kinda of amusing to see Tom Campbell's essay right next to two (COUNT EM TWO!) yes on 8 ads.

Posted by: kitchenbeard | Oct 24, 2008 6:04:22 PM

5. Where is Obama...??? He needs to come to California and give a speech on this! It is unconscionable that we could get discrimination written into the California Constitution. We need all hands on deck. I've given $$$, I've written emails, I've spoken to friends, I've ordered and given out bumper stickers and buttons to all my friends and I've done what I have never done in my life, actually put a bumper sticker on my car - I think I've got the only NO ON 8 bumper sticker in Orange County. LOL...

Posted by: Mike | Oct 24, 2008 6:20:28 PM

6. As JESUS said on the cross: "גוייִש משוגעת" Visit Tactical Syntax for some effective NO ON 8 banner ads.

And WHERE IS BARACK OBAMA! He's barely better than JOHN McCain on this issue. SILENCE KILLS.

Posted by: REVEREND Joe Baytzim | Oct 24, 2008 6:59:22 PM

7. Every LGBT person everywhere needs to donate to the No against 8 campaign. This is something that will affect your rights for a very, very long time. California has always led the nation in terms of regulation, environmentalism, civil rights, and many other issues. If this antigay initiative passes, many people across the nation will think, Oh good---if it failed in California, we don't need to worry about it happening around here.

Even if you can only afford $10 or $20, please give it. It doesn't matter where you live. If Proposition 8 passes, your life will be worse for many years. It's that simple.

Posted by: Paul Re | Oct 24, 2008 7:00:29 PM

8. Guys and Gals,

PLEASE help spread the word about the Yes On 8 demonstration to be held at noon on Sunday 10/26 at the Huntington Beach pier in Huntington Beach, CA. The Yes on 8 camp is holding what they believe will be a large rally. They have invited the media and are hoping to get a lot of coverage out of it. The No on 8 camp needs to show up en masse and show the world that there are millions of us who vehemently disagree with Prop 8. If you live in the area, please attend. If you don't, call someone who does. Or post this info to your favorite blog.

You can download a printable No on 8 8x11” sign here:

Thanks!

Mark

Posted by: Mark | Oct 24, 2008 7:22:26 PM

9. As much as I/we criticize the Republicans on gay issues (for good reason!), I'm glad that some are stepping up to the plate on 8, supporting equality and making, in some cases, the personal political. Kudos to them for standing apart from their bigoted base, along with all the other allies and all those working hard to prevent 8 from passing.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 24, 2008 8:36:02 PM

10. The story from the LA Times about race and religion should certainly p ut to rest the claims that African Americans are a monolith on this issue. The polling should have done that, but this only serves to convince more people that we need to start to have dialogue with everyone regardless of what happens with Prop 8. We need to reach out. I am glad some people are.

Overall, all this news is great to hear.

Thank you for the consolidated update. It's hard at times to google news this in a such a way that gives me the big picture while I am at work.

Posted by: akaison | Oct 24, 2008 9:11:48 PM

11. This coming Tuesday, October 28 we will be donating 100% of our sales to NoOnProp8.com

Last time we did this it was a fund raiser for the Red Cross after Hurricane Katrina, and we raised over $4K.

Please help spread the word and maybe we can raise more to stop Proposition 8.

Posted by: Tony Comstock | Oct 24, 2008 10:22:48 PM

12. I wish Prop 201 in AZ was getting the attention Prop 8 is. We need all the help we can get to defeat this measure. The gay community should be working together as an united front to defeat all the propositions across the country this election and not just focusing on one state.

Posted by: Tim | Oct 24, 2008 10:59:06 PM

13. Stupid me. URL:

Posted by: Tony Comstock | Oct 24, 2008 11:05:01 PM

14. This is really sad that the underlying hate is being posed as caring for marriage. I am a member of the Mormon Church and I am truly ashamed of this issue. I am seriously thinking about leaving this church.

Posted by: testerm | Oct 25, 2008 2:04:50 AM

15. Thank you for posting about the Huntington Beach demo. I now have a use for the slimy slick new signs Yes on 8 put out. They say Yes on 8 = parental rights. Well they used to anyway. I'll be there on Sunday!

Posted by: TrickyToro | Oct 25, 2008 2:39:47 AM

16. The criticism of Obama for being too silent is not reasonable. This country is full of bigots and haters who would use his words in TV and radio ads across the country if he spoke out about this issue. James Dobson is sitting there licking his chops just waiting. The ignorant rednecks in this country would immediately fork over millions of $$ in an effort to hurt gays and lesbians by electing McCain and his evangelical freakshow of a running mate. Get real! If you're pissed at Obama, don't vote for him. But don't ever speak to me again if I have to look at McCains scraggly face for the next four years. Wise up bitches. Also, where is the gay community in California on this issue??? Over a million gays and lesbians in the Golden State and only 30,000 donations? Where is the gay community in other states battling this issue like Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Arizona and Florida? What a bunch of self hating jerks probably out looking for their next hit of X for their next circuit party. This is the fight of our lives and these self absorbed gym bunnies can't put the barbell down long enough to pull our their credit card to donate $10...half the price of the cover charge at the next rave.

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 25, 2008 3:11:55 AM

17. Something to consider: Can one minority group achieve true and equal treatment while denying that same true and equal treatment to another minority group?

Posted by: LeeBoe | Oct 25, 2008 8:18:56 AM

18. I agree with Jeff.You gays need to stop actin like a bunch of pre-madonnas and put up or shut up.It would cost me $100 to go to the Saint at Large Halloween circuit party,but instead of surrounding myself around a bunch of circuit queens who dont know the meaning of the word commitment and droppin X and lookin 4 their next blow n' go,Im takin' that money and puttin in for NO on prop 8.Yall are living proof that gays can be and are real self-loathing hypocrites.Shame on all of you.

Posted by: DJ | Oct 25, 2008 10:01:59 AM

19. Obama needs to speak out. He doesn't have to say that he supports gay marriage. He only needs to be very clear that he doesn't support placing discrimination into any constitution, state or federal.

This isn't a view out of the mainstream and won't affect his chances for election. The other side thrives on intimidation and they will be vocal regardless. Keeping silent because we are afraid only feeds them and encourages them to continue with their vile behaviour.

This isn't anything Obama hasn't said before anyway... but it would be a big boost for No on 8 to have him state once again, publicly, that he is against discrimination and Proposition 8 is about discrimination and hate. Boxer and Feinstein need to speak also, as does Arnold.

Being against Proposition 8 is larger than the rights of gays to marry. It is about more than equal rights for gays. It is about equality for all people. It is taking a stand against hate and bigotry. It is about (to use the other sides terms) protecting the sanctity of the constitution.

The other side rants and raves about the slippery slope of allowing gay marriage. The should be thinking about the slippery slope of writing any form of discrimination into a constitution.

If I weren't so angry and offended about this I would feel sorry for them, that they apparently don't have the intelligence to understand the ramifications of what they are doing.

Instead I feel contempt.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 25, 2008 10:43:11 AM

20. Please stop trying to inject every conversation about Prop 8 with your issues with Obama. I don't believe there is anything he can do to satisfy you. When Biden came out against Prop 8 just this week, several random posters tried to sow discontent by saying it didn't matter. There is nothing he can do with some of you because he's not your candidate. So stop wasting our time pretending this is about Prop 8 for you.

Posted by: akaison | Oct 25, 2008 12:28:12 PM

21. Um,EXCUSE ME, DJ? "You gays"? I think your self-hating homophobia is showing with THAT comment. Let's face it, folks. Those Obama-haters will not be satisfied with anything the man says or does. Regardless, I keep sending money each week, even though I've lost my job (thanks to Republicon/"free market"/help the corporations--screw the worker outsourcing). If we defeat this horrible attempt to institutionalize bigotry and prejudice, we have won the most significant of all victories. Then, it will be time to DEMAND that these hateful "churches" (LDS, evangelicals, Southern Baptist, Catholic, etc.) be sued for interfering with the secular political process to enforce their reactionary, ignorant, bigotry on the rest of us. Also, a "shout out" to Glenn Fait--a REAL Profile in Courage. This is the only way to defeat these cretins--live our lives openly and honestly. While we're at it, I wonder how many Log Cabin fairies are NOT supporting "NO on 8"? Let's hunt them down one by one and take their tiaras away forever!

Posted by: mike | Oct 25, 2008 3:02:01 PM

22. Mike you just proved my point,look at you.Psycho-analyzing what I posted earlier.If I were you Id put my money where my mouth is.Some of you are so critical of everything it really churns my stomach.Get it together or we will NEVER have our civil rights in our hands.NEXT!!!

Posted by: DJ | Oct 25, 2008 3:42:09 PM

23. I'm all for helping with no on Prop 8 -- However, I'm getting a little tired of the calls for money. As if the side with the most money automatically wins. If - by now, California doesn't have enough votes to defeat this thing - I don't really think all the ads in the world are going to help. That said - give money - It can't hurt. But if this thing passes it won't be because not enough money was spent.

Posted by: dan | Oct 25, 2008 4:39:17 PM

24. WOW you mean GLAAD is only NOW making a donation to No on 8? Where the hell have they been?
    Oh right...getting those end of the year nominations together for their cockamaime-million-dollar-fundraising-self-promoting-nationwide-champagne-waste of time and money!
    I guess 50k is all they could spare.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Oct 25, 2008 6:53:35 PM

25. "If - by now, California doesn't have enough votes to defeat this thing - I don't really think all the ads in the world are going to help."

Dan, I think you may be overestimating the intelligence of a pretty large portion of voters.
    This idiotic amendment was way behind in the polls until the Mormons and others spent millions to create ads that confuse gullible viewers with misleading statements. Now there are people out there who have become convinced that, without it, churches will have to marry gay couples (Obviously a lie. It hasn't happened anywhere, and churches have a constitutional guarantee in the US that they have always exercised, with millions of precendents, to choose not to perform sacraments for anyone for any reason at all).
    Others have become convinced by the ads that this is a referendum on what schools must teach (also false).
    If voters understand what the implications of this hateful amendment are, they WILL vote against it. But a certain proportion won't do any homework on the matter, and will believe whatever they are told if we don't counter with the facts.

Posted by: GregV | Oct 25, 2008 10:44:57 PM