Florida | Mark Foley | News | Republican Party

Mark Foley Breaks Silence, Won't Accept Full Blame in Page Scandal

MArk Foley tells the AP he's "trying to find his way back" in the wake of the underage page scandal that forced his resignation from Congress in September 2006:

Foley"Foley insists he did nothing illegal and never had sexual contact with teens, just inappropriate Internet conversations. Investigations by the FBI and Florida authorities ended without criminal charges. And while he concedes his behavior was 'extraordinarily stupid,' he remains somewhat unwilling to accept full public scorn. These were 17-year-olds, just months from being men, he insists. 'There was never anywhere in those conversations where someone said, 'Stop,' or 'I'm not enjoying this,' or 'This is inappropriate' ... but again, I'm the adult here, I'm the congressman,' Foley said. 'The fact is I allowed it to happen. That's where my responsibility lies.'"

Just months from being men.

Foley denies there is any hypocrisy involved, even though he was co-chair of the Congressional Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus which helped to create a law protecting children on the internet.

Says Foley: "The work I was doing was involving young children ... You know, you hear the term 'pedophile.' That is prepubescent. At the end of the day, they were instant messages that were extraordinarily inappropriate."

Adds Foley: "In public life, you dream of the day they'll name a hospital after you, or a bridge or a post office," Foley said, twisting a gold band on his ring finger identical to one his high-society dermatologist boyfriend wears. If I had a post office named after me today, they'd probably return to sender. It's not a pleasant place to be. It's not what I envisioned ... working this hard all my life to end up in an ash heap because of a momentary lapse of judgment."

Foley blames the "demons" inside him for doing what he did - those demons being sexual abuse by a priest, drinking, drugs, and cigarettes. He's been through a treatment program and now says he'll take it "a day at a time."

AFTER THE JUMP, the Mark Foley scandal in seven minutes.

AP Interview: Foley breaks silence on sex scandal [ap]

Comments

1. Mark. Foley seems to be just short of being a man himself.

Posted by: walker | Nov 12, 2008 9:51:51 AM

2. While I was happy to see the guy busted (any time a Republican gets caught with their pants down is a good day), I was always annoyed with people calling him a pedophile. Pedophilia involves prepubescent children and Congressional pages were 16 (which, incidentally is the age of consent in DC). What Mr. Foley did was sexual harassment. Equally reprehensible. But he is no pedophile.

Posted by: Alex | Nov 12, 2008 10:01:23 AM

3. "'In public life, you dream of the day they'll name a hospital after you, or a bridge or a post office,' Foley said, twisting a gold band on his ring finger identical to one his high-society dermatologist boyfriend wears."

Even Larry Craig had a toilet stall named after him! Poor Foley. He gets no respect. How about a designated Mark Foley closet somewhere?

His tortured explanations are about as welcome as Trick Trick's latest CD.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 12, 2008 10:02:49 AM

4. It's all the cigarettes' fault, those bastards!

Posted by: Aaron | Nov 12, 2008 10:17:15 AM

5. Wow, when you have to split hairs like this - -

It mostly pisses me off because I'm always anxious talking to teenage boys now and that's just really sad for all of us.

Posted by: David B. | Nov 12, 2008 11:00:47 AM

6. In his honor I'm going to name my upstairs hallway closet the MARK FOLEY LINEN CLOSET.
    It's a proud day for us all.

Posted by: Okie | Nov 12, 2008 11:34:13 AM

7. Nope, he's definitely not a pedophile. The word he's looking for is ephebophile -- an older man who is primarily sexually interested (or dare i say, obsessed) with boys 15-19 years-old.

And even when you're a closeted Republican congressmen, that's just as bad.

Posted by: cameron Johnson | Nov 12, 2008 11:36:34 AM

8. Well, he's still a Republican. For a party that runs on a personal responsibility platform, they are the most victimized group ever. It's either the press, or demons, or some such, but whatever it is, they are never responsible for anything.

Posted by: Kyle | Nov 12, 2008 12:35:17 PM

9. i'm assuming they were parliaments

Posted by: m | Nov 12, 2008 12:42:07 PM

10. Pathetic....

Posted by: Bernie | Nov 12, 2008 1:30:51 PM

11. I wish this guy would ust go away. How can he possibly think it is ok to spout sexually suggestive crap to boys 30+ years younger? He disgusts me, I've had enough of these self loathing hypocrites.

Posted by: JJ | Nov 12, 2008 1:59:47 PM

12. I suggest that he stay in therapy. A guy who had everything should be happy, but he was a perpetual sad-sack of self-pity who's his own worst enemy. No longer closeted perhaps but still imbalanced.

Posted by: anon | Nov 12, 2008 7:06:58 PM

13. Moron.

Posted by: jim | Nov 12, 2008 7:36:17 PM

14. Is something in the air today? I coulda sworn Ted Haggard was flapping his mouth again today, too.

Posted by: kenneth | Nov 13, 2008 1:50:54 AM

15. Is something in the air today? I coulda sworn Ted Haggard was flapping his mouth again today, too.

Posted by: kenneth | Nov 13, 2008 1:51:09 AM