Anderson Cooper | Michael Phelps | News | Olympics | Swimming

Anderson Cooper Gets in the Pool with Michael Phelps

Phelps

The money shot of Anderson Cooper's 60 Minutes interview comes at the end of this 13-minute segment on paddle-footed Olympian Michael Phelps when Anderson gets in the pool and races against the swimmer.

You'll have to watch to see who had the winning stroke, AFTER THE JUMP...

Phelps2

Watch CBS Videos Online

Comments

1. Awww, 2 straight guys OUT for a friendly race.

Posted by: Tug | Dec 1, 2008 7:44:33 AM

2. I didn't see two straight guys, saw one gay guy and one possible, fun though.

Posted by: Bob West | Dec 1, 2008 8:51:11 AM

3. I was expecting AC to be a little less pale and smooth, and a little more gymmed out. Still hot though, if overdressed.

Michael Phelps is cute and hot in a whole other way.

Posted by: David D. | Dec 1, 2008 9:17:52 AM

4. I would rather of seen pictures of him swimming with Julio on their vacation together last week. They are a good looking couple, sad Anderson won't make an acknowledgement of him.

Posted by: kevin | Dec 1, 2008 9:22:07 AM

5. I must have missed the signs that Phelps plays for our team. Was it the secret photos someone took with their camera in a strip club of him feeling a chick up?

Let's get serious, as great as it would be for the world's greatest athlete to not only represent our country, but also be on our team, it just isn't the case.

With Phelps, i think you are taking projection a step too far.

And come on out, AC. The water's nice.

Posted by: Dan B | Dec 1, 2008 9:22:19 AM

6. I like Anderson Cooper way too much... it kind of hurts. Oh, well.
    David D: Michael Phelps was kinda cute, you're right.

Posted by: L | Dec 1, 2008 9:25:13 AM

7. It appeared to me that AC was having the hottest date of his life. But, who cares to
    see him in the pool?

Posted by: swimmer | Dec 1, 2008 9:31:02 AM

8. Anderson Cooper is a year younger than me, but in those cargo short swim trunks he reminded me of my grandfather taking a dip at Holiday Inn in the 1970’s. And with Phelps as the youthful contrast he looked even older than grandpa. (AC fire the producer of that segment.)

Posted by: ggreen | Dec 1, 2008 9:43:49 AM

9. favorite part:

100 Million Dollars.

"That's pretty good for a swimmer."

Posted by: Dan B | Dec 1, 2008 9:54:42 AM

10. They BOTH need to come out. Especially Anderson since he's so visible to millions every night on CNN. COME OUT Andy!!! The movement NEEDS this!

Posted by: Cub | Dec 1, 2008 9:55:04 AM

11. Anderson has some serious guns. Very nice.

Posted by: sam | Dec 1, 2008 9:56:22 AM

12. What's hot or sexy about a closet case? Cooper is pathetic.

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Dec 1, 2008 10:05:54 AM

13. I completely agree with whoever said that calling Phelps gay is nothing but projection. There are a ton of reasons to like/love/idolize him, but to think that he's secretly gay and will someday be the gay poster boy is just wishful thinking.

Anderson Cooper is so hot. And he and his boyfriend are adorable together.

Posted by: another matt | Dec 1, 2008 10:43:29 AM

14. Just one question:

What would Harvey Milk say about Closet Coward Cooper?

One more:

What would Harvey Milk have said about those who continue to give Closet Coward Cooper a Get Out of Social Responsibility Jail Free Card just because he's cute?

Dan White was cuter.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Dec 1, 2008 10:59:39 AM

15. There are some closet cases to whom I do give a free pass. Jodie Foster had someone try to kill the President to impress her.....I could see how that would make her want to maintain privacy and distance. I have heard that the reason Anderson isn't publicly out (although he is to his friends and family) is that he travels the world for CNN, inlcuding to places where homosexuality is a crime (sometimes punishable to death). Being out could prevent him from getting visas to these places, and could endanger him if he went. Staying in the closet is the equivalent of a female reporter wearing a burqa in Afghanistan.

Or maybe I'm just rationalizing everything because of my deep Anderson love! :-)

Posted by: Dr. Pedantic | Dec 1, 2008 11:30:37 AM

16. Ummmm....punishable "by" death. No more posting before my first cup of coffee!

Posted by: Dr. Pedantic | Dec 1, 2008 11:32:06 AM

17. How do you all know that AC isn't out to his family, friends, and coworkers? Just because he isn't screaming it from the rafters doesn't mean he is a closet case. I don't understand why we turn on our own like this, just because they aren't what you want or expect them to be. It is just as judgemental. UNITE!

Posted by: BD | Dec 1, 2008 11:35:53 AM

18. Well said, Dr. Pedantic!

Posted by: BD | Dec 1, 2008 11:37:58 AM

19. @BD: No, we don't know that he isn't out to his family and friends. He probably is. But when asked, he will not answer. All he has to say is yes or no and not discuss further. That makes him a closet case. About Dr. Pedantic's remarks: it is probably a pretty good guess that most people realize he is gay, even the international viewers, so even if he doesn't publicly say it, he may still be in danger.

Posted by: anon | Dec 1, 2008 11:40:50 AM

20. I know for a fact that Anderson Cooper is out to everybody in his personal and professional life, it is only that he hasn't put it across explicitly to Amerika's booboisie, who are the last to know anything.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 1, 2008 11:50:54 AM

21. Anderson swam fairly well against Phelps considering that he's older and not a professional swimmer. And I'm not just saying that because he seems to read Towleroad either.

OT, but I really love that "chicken crossing the road" pic on the Towleroad masthead or whatever the correct name for it is.

Posted by: Red | Dec 1, 2008 12:11:24 PM

22. If Phelps wants endorsements he'll have to get tattoos.

Posted by: anon | Dec 1, 2008 1:07:47 PM

23. “On this anniversary of Stonewall, I ask my gay sisters and brothers to make the commitment to fight. For themselves, for their freedom, for their country ... We will not win our rights by staying quietly in our closets ... We are coming out to fight the lies, the myths, the distortions. We are coming out to tell the truths about gays, for I am tired of the conspiracy of silence, so I'm going to talk about it. And I want you to talk about it. You must come out.” – Harvey Milk, Gay PRIDE speech, June 1978.

"If a bullet should enter my brain let that bullet destroy every closet door." – Harvey Milk, audio will.

-----
    PS: Perhap Mr. Cooper felt he should refrain because of his "news" job, but Julio Cesar Recio isn't listed among the donors against Prop H8TE.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Dec 1, 2008 2:16:28 PM

24. Quote of the interview:

MP drops a medal on the table...

Anderson: "My heart just skipped a beat"

Slut!!! =)

Posted by: DhaniDarko | Dec 1, 2008 8:06:05 PM

25. While the Olympics are fun, I don't really understand the celebrity factor. So MP works real hard to be a fantastic swimmer. Then what? Fastest swimmer in the world. Then what? Train for hours a day...for what? To say you're the best? To inspire little kids to spend hours in the gym rather than somewhere else; to inspire bored parents to project celebrity fantasies on their children...to what end, besides a karmic cycle of possible psychological damage?
    In this age of sophisticated weaponry, the Olympic games are no display of fitness for the defence of the realm, but possibly are a supreme waste of time and resources, sacrificed on the altar of celebrity. Sure I cheered, but to what end? Precisely because I cheered, I state these thoughts to inspire commentary, so that the value of MP's achievements (and our beloved--I mean that--Matthew Mitcham) might be more clearly articulated to someone like myself, for whom they seem empty, almost infantile "Hey, look at me!" gestures.
    I wanna cheer all the louder, but I need to understand.

Posted by: clint | Dec 1, 2008 8:38:09 PM