Comic Books | Genetics | I'm Gay | News

Family Guy Explores the 'Gay Gene'

Peter

On Family Guy's friday night episode, Peter was injected with the "gay gene" and made into a lavender bandanna-wearing, knee-crossing, limp-wristed, shrieking falsetto type of gay.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This was so disappointing. Seth MacFarlane has generally been pretty gay-positive on his shows (particularly with Roger on American Dad, and to a lesser extent, Stewie and Brian) even if they exploited stereotypes to some degree. This episode of Family Guy was written by someone living in a previous decade. I kept waiting for some clever social critique to make all the cringe-worthy stereotyping worthwhile, but it never came. Sure, the show drove home the idea of sexual orientation as an inborn trait, but it could have been a lot funnier if it had been more honest.

Posted by: nuflux | Mar 9, 2009 10:42:29 AM

2. God, are we really criticizing an animated cartoon show for not being politically correct? Especially Family Guy, which is rarely politically correct. Get over it. That show mocks every stereotype possible...how many times were you disappointed when they showed Tammy Tanaka the Asian news reporter? Rarely I doubt. It's a cartoon.

Posted by: Banne | Mar 9, 2009 10:46:14 AM

3. BANNE,

There are degrees. The "Asian reporter" character pokes fun more at the news media than at Asians, because the joke is that she's always announced that way. If instead the joke was about her physical traits, it'd come across differently.

And who said anything about political correctness? I'm a FAN of the show, expressing an opinion. You get over it.

Posted by: nuflux | Mar 9, 2009 10:53:35 AM

4. I'm BANNE, this is a cartoon..it makes fun of everyone period. I took no offense..and besides I got the joke and it's "social implications". Seth is the man!

Posted by: anokie | Mar 9, 2009 10:54:35 AM

5. We laughed and laughed and laughed. Of course it dealt with every asingle sterotype possible. that was the point. Bravo, family guy.

Posted by: Ben Janken | Mar 9, 2009 10:57:32 AM

6. I must say I did watch it and laughed my ass off. The sterotype was very funny and I have no negative comments to make. Mary if you didnt like it you obviously have issues and would recommend you watch it again.

Posted by: Blitze | Mar 9, 2009 11:01:39 AM

7. I loved this show and this episode. I got the tongue and cheek humor about people's perceptions about being gay. I especially loved the line where Stewie said that he did not have to read the Bible to know that homosexuality is wrong cause nobody in America reads the Bible and they think it is wrong. Love it!

Posted by: Timothy K | Mar 9, 2009 11:01:52 AM

8. Do you really have to make a show that shows gays as "limp-wristed, lisping, promiscuous aberrations" in order to be funny? How many times has this been done before? A million? More? This episode did not require much in the way of creativity or imagination. It was so tired. McFarlane can put anything he wants on the air, but that episode lacked freshness. It really was tired and not funny.

Posted by: Dan COBBB | Mar 9, 2009 11:08:37 AM

9. Seth, do you actually know any gays that act that way?? I've been gay for 40 years and I can honestly say I've never met such a flamboyant gay guy. And virtually all the gay guys I do know are just average men --they act like regular guys --except that they prefer sex with another man.

Posted by: Dan COBBB | Mar 9, 2009 11:11:14 AM

10. I loved the math problem.

Q: If there are 3 glory holes and 28 men at the circuit party, how many round does it take for everyone to get a turn?

A: 9, with a remainder of Brent. Cuz Brent's to big for the glory hole and that's why we all like Brent.

Posted by: ger | Mar 9, 2009 11:11:50 AM

11. nuflux

to your defense, this show offends EVERYBODY, nothing new.

GUILTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

LOL

Posted by: johnosahon | Mar 9, 2009 11:15:07 AM

12. I loved that he instantly had highlights and a faux-hawk, amongst the rest of the jokes... if it's funny, you can pretty much guarantee somebody's gonna be offended and the only time it's not okay is when it's "you"...

Posted by: Miaulement | Mar 9, 2009 11:26:44 AM

13. "The show makes fun of everyone" is no excuse. I hate this mean-spirited Simpsons rip-off. Ha ha, fags are funny when they are weak and sissies. Wasn't the AIDS jokes from a few years back enough? Wake up, the jokes (always) on you.

Posted by: Ceeya | Mar 9, 2009 11:41:12 AM

14. Considering this is the favorite show for anti-Semites across the land, the targeting of gays is perfectly consistent.

Posted by: anon | Mar 9, 2009 11:43:00 AM

15. "Seth, do you actually know any gays that act that way??"

Oh, I get it, that was a joke. Right?

Posted by: D.R.H. | Mar 9, 2009 11:43:26 AM

16. Um nuflux, you were talking about political correctness, whether you called it that or not.

It's a damned cartoon. And it was funny. And while you may not have to go that extreme to be funny, it doesn't mean it wasn't funny because you did. The show is tasteless. That is the point. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

My fav part was Brian noting the irony of Stewie trying to send Peter to a straight camp. Satirizing the issue and making the arguments seem ridiculous for changing someone is perfectly tongue-in-cheek for this show.

Posted by: Banne | Mar 9, 2009 11:58:32 AM

17. I love Family Guy and I was really looking forward to seeing this episode. But sadly I have to agree with everything that NUFLUX said. I get the whole 'playing against stereotype' thing, that being the hallmark of Family Guy. But overall it left a bad taste in my mouth. Using the 'feminine gay' cliché character trait for Peter was too easy and came across as really dated. To be honest, I'm sick of seeing it. It's 2009. Enough already; and 'no' BANNE, I have no plans to "get over it" either.

Posted by: David in Houston | Mar 9, 2009 11:58:36 AM

18. I have to agree with the above on the tired and old.

It is a bad stereotype. It was funny and can be. It is a cartoon, but many viewers watch this and it is beat in their heads that gays are irritating. South Park says the word "gay" too many times and makes it sound derogatory.

I love camp but lets face it, how many times have black comedies used the "n" word and it can be different when used the wrong way.

This is old and TIRRRRREEEDDDD!

Posted by: Glenn Rivera | Mar 9, 2009 11:58:47 AM

19. Hi Dan COBBB, I'm not sure which part of the country you live in, but I know in many major cities there are PLENTY of limp wristed gays walking around. You can watch Bravo TV and see this "stereo type" in most of the shows.
    I thought the show was hilarious...and I too am GUILTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL!

Posted by: ugotmeinsd_619 | Mar 9, 2009 12:11:26 PM

20. I have nothing against that stereotype. Attacking anyone for depicting a gay man as flamboyant just marginalizes gay men who actually do act like that. There is nothing wrong with being flamboyant, and to attack such a depiction suggests that there is something wrong with it.

This is completely unlike racial stereotypes depicting blacks as monkeys and blacks and Latinos as lascivious dangerous rapists. Those are negatives stereotypes that should be attacked because the behaviors that those depictions put forth ARE harmful and wrong.

Being flamboyant is not wrong or bad. Attacking such depictions just reasserts a patriarchal masculine hierarchy in which all men must act like "men". And those that don't act like "men" are bad.

Why do we want to reinforce such sex-stereotyping?

With that said, I don't get why people watch Family Guy. The show sucks.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 9, 2009 12:17:36 PM

21. BANNE,

Yet again, please do not speak for me. I said nothing about political correctness and I love this show for being inappropriate. There are a lot of other gay jokes they've used in the past that were un-PC but still ORIGINAL and funny (like Brian's cousin arriving on the boutique gay airline that "backs into" the gate).

This shit was stale and used the stereotype for laughs instead of LAUGHING AT the stereotype. There were a few funny lines (GUILTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY) but otherwise this was crap writing that came off as apologetically homophobic.

Many others on this thread got my meaning so I won't labor the point any further.

Posted by: nuflux | Mar 9, 2009 12:21:22 PM

22. I thought it was hysterical. Which one of us hasn't rocked a "guiltyyyyyy" as a flame out?

so much fuss over nothing. the whole show is satirical nonsense.

time to relax a little bit.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 9, 2009 12:29:24 PM

23. Wow - such negativity expressed in the comments above. Did you watch the ENTIRE episode? Don't draw your opinions from the clip pasted above. Rather go to hulu.com and watch it.

With that, I thought it a hoot and dead on when taken in context....

-Most heteros do PERCEIVE us as oversexed, promiscious, nelly, men who love shoving things up our bums, and automatically possess exquisite taste (NOT!)
    -Exposes ignorant notions that we can become straight if we are deprogrammed
    -Takes a swipe at dumb ass religous types who can only parrot passages from the bible to jusify their bigotry.

Bravo Family Guy!

Posted by: Mark (another one) | Mar 9, 2009 12:31:17 PM

24. Thank you so much for saying that Eric. I've been trying to tell people that for years, but I could never really find the right words to use. What is with the aversion to flamboyant gay men? Why is flamboyancy insulting to so many people?

Posted by: Reese | Mar 9, 2009 12:35:35 PM

25. Why does nobody complain about the James Bond clip in the episode that basically says rape is ok? Or that the lessons Peter left his son included hitting his wife?

Personally, I found this episode as entertaining as any other episode of Family Guy. It's so far across the line already that I can't be surprised anymore.

(and honestly, a Reagan/Gorbachev gay joke? HAH!)

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 9, 2009 12:38:54 PM