BigGayDeal.com

NJ Senate Rejects Marriage Equality Bill 20-14

After a couple hours of debate, the New Jersey Senate has rejected the marriage equality bill by a vote of 20-14. Accompanying the bill's defeat was a burst of cheering and applause from the bigots in the chamber.

Comments

1. THANK GOODNESS! Should marriage have been deemed a civil right open to all state citizens New Jersey wold have crumbled away! A disaster as been avoided, a bullet dodged. Does NJ have a state income tax? Do Gay Citizens like paying equal taxes for unequal treatment? I don't know the answer to that.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 7, 2010 4:43:55 PM

2. FUCK YOU NEW JERSEY. I WOULDN'T WANT TO LIVE IN YOUR GARBAGE-PIT OF A STATE ANYWAY!
    ASSHOLES!

Posted by: Joey in CT | Jan 7, 2010 4:47:44 PM

3. Fuck you too Sargon. You bigot fuck.

Posted by: Joey in CT | Jan 7, 2010 4:50:08 PM

4. Surprise, surprise ...

Posted by: KFLO | Jan 7, 2010 4:52:57 PM

5. I live in Jersey and am completely devastated. (Oh and Joey in CT, thanks for calling my home a garbage-pit.)

Posted by: Thomas | Jan 7, 2010 4:54:24 PM

6. You better say fuck to the other 31 states who voted against marriage equality. Another sad day for America.

Posted by: DairyQueen | Jan 7, 2010 4:54:50 PM

7. Thanks to the sponsors for getting this vote on record. Nia Gill was persuasive in her argument that NJ has placed itself in violation of the 14th amendment. Unfortunately the Scalia court only recognizes the constitution of the United States of Surveil & Torture. It's like Foucault never died.

Posted by: Karl | Jan 7, 2010 5:00:06 PM

8. Lets not act as if had this passed they wouldn't have let the bigots come vote against us en mass in another totally embarrassing debacle of civil rights. That is, if the governor-elect didn't somehow manage to veto it beforehand.

I think gay marriage will be accepted an a wide scale eventually, but in the meantime we're stuck with the undesirable circumstances that bigots are collectively more reliable voters and activists.

Nothing will come easy, there will be plenty of pain before we see justice. If history shows anything, its that.

Posted by: Wes | Jan 7, 2010 5:00:58 PM

9. I just pulled my offer on a condo in JC -- contingent on Marriage Equality.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 7, 2010 5:02:40 PM

10. Thomas, should joey have called it a waste area? OR perhaps a refuse zone? I understand not liking garbage-pit, but there's little alternative other than euphemism.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 7, 2010 5:02:49 PM

11. At least Lambda Legal is going back to court to fight again

Posted by: NJFairness | Jan 7, 2010 5:04:02 PM

12. When does the next court case in the NJ Supreme Court start?

Posted by: Tyler | Jan 7, 2010 5:08:48 PM

13. John Stewart is not going to like this one bit.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 7, 2010 5:09:24 PM

14. You gays are f*cked. So disparate.

Why is this a surprise?

Yawn.

Towleroad NEVER doeas anything to push or change anything in the lgbt comm, except just posting neutral information...

Queerty is a right wing version that exists on the bad stuff that happens in the lgbt comm...

Do you even talk to each other?

Canada or the UK may not be as large but we have it.

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 7, 2010 5:11:25 PM

15. Yes, NJFairness, this is not the end. Remember when the ban on gay marriage was first decided by the NJ Supremes to be unconstitutional, the court said the state can choose whatever mechanism they liked to make things equal. The NJ legislature chose civil unions and appointed a task force to monitor the "equality" of civil unions v. marriage. This task force has found civil unions to be unequal. Now with the cowardice of the legislature, the Supremes of NJ will have no choice but to institute marriage equality by judicial fiat to achieve the equality demanded by the NJ state, not the US, constitution.

I'm sick of waiting and being a NY'er even more disgusted with our top court and state legislature, but good things come to those who wait. NJ will soon be a marriage equality state.

Posted by: Willig | Jan 7, 2010 5:12:27 PM

16. JOEY,

You need to read Sargon's comment again...and again, if necessary. Sargon and I NEVER agree but you totally missed his sarcasm.

Still, New Jersey is more progressive than this Alabama-smellin' state next door. No, not New York: the one with Philadelphia in it.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 7, 2010 5:25:05 PM

17. Willig's right.

And if your only experience of New Jersey is either flying in to Newark or watching Jersey Shore, please withhold your opinion. It's a beautiful state.

Posted by: JeffRob | Jan 7, 2010 5:26:20 PM

18. Once again we let the rights of the minority be decided by the majority. Doesn't seem very American to me....

Posted by: Alexander | Jan 7, 2010 5:38:24 PM

19. We lost again today. When will we learn?

Now, the angry calls will go out to change the Pols – elect new people, more Democrats, etc., etc., BUT the same thing will happen until we do the real work – changing the minds of the people.

It's the Polls, not the Pols.

Politicians are whores and they care mostly about their own survival. If we change – or demonstrate a changed public opinion – politicians will fall in line. That's the only way to actually win.

There is no "political solution" for our equality. No amount of money, lobbyists or eloquent promise-makers will create our equality. We need to do it. We need to enroll our fellow citizens and move the polls. Until we get our friends, neighbors, associates and strangers to join us, we will continue to lose.

As a "movement" we do almost nothing in that regard. We always expect "someone else" or some politician or some organization to do it for us - 50 years is enough history to see that will NEVER happen.

We need a real movement. Let's hope this is the year.

Posted by: AndrewW | Jan 7, 2010 5:41:36 PM

20. Andreww must be young or stupid. Or both.

We need to change the minds of our oppressors? Really? Our rights should be allowed to be voted on by our oppressors?

Only the Supreme Court will settle this issue.

Change hearts and minds indeed, fool.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 7, 2010 5:54:43 PM

21. As a JC gay, can't say I'm not depressed about the decision. However, it has made me as motivated as ever to get off my ass and do everything I can to make marriage legal in Jersey and everywhere. Let's hope the court action happens quickly.

For the life of me, I just can't understand why the haters hate so much in the name of religion, or what they're getting out of this.

The other thing the recent NY and NJ defeats and convinced me of is that all of us living our life to the fullest and enjoying every moment and everything that's good in the world may be the very best revenge against those that hate. I'm not going away because I can't get married. My BF isn't going away because we can't, and neither is our relationship. We're here whether they like it or not. And while the haters sit around stewing and watching their numbers dwindle and their world crumble around them, I'm going to fight--and enjoy life more than ever before. Take that Maggie and anyone else who doesn't believe in equal rights for everyone. Karma's gonna get you eventually because you're on the losing side--the side of hate.

Posted by: brian | Jan 7, 2010 6:09:34 PM

22. @ Bill

Get a life.

Andrew is right but it works both ways. Top Down and Bottom Up.

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 7, 2010 6:15:02 PM

23. well, I always say this...this will be settled by the supreme court. it is just a matter of time.
    and I listen to a lot of right-wing radio and they keep talking about taking back the country and contitution and guns, which i don't think the 2nd ammendent was about carrying unlicensed AK47's.
    But, the thing that i just don't understand about the marriage debate is how anyone can look at it and see it as being fair. You have 10% or more of population as gay. You have lots of gay families...gay people with children...and I just don't see why two men or two women getting married affects these people. I mean, if the relationship is already deemed valid (living together, whatever) what fundamental difference does them being married make? I don't understand this. I mean it isn't like people have sex in public ... so you don't like gay sex..then don't gay sex. what people do in the privacy of their own home is no body's business. whether they be straight, or gay or whatever.
    I just don't understand how you demand freedom and constitutional rights...but neglect the very freedom that all men are created equal. I mean, if gay people didn't pay taxes thats one thing...but we fucking pay taxes just like everyone else. We are productive members of society and we should have the rights to marry our partners.
    they talk about the sanctity of marriage yet...most of the opponents of gay marriage have been divorced three and four times. wtf
    i just don't get it. I thought we were progressive in this country...but other countries are so much progressive. sheesh

Posted by: Paul | Jan 7, 2010 6:22:48 PM

24. As a Jersey City native, I'm dismayed but not surprised. When Corzine lost, I knew some would cozy up to the lumbering incoming 'Phobe-in-Chief. But we've had set backs before and eventually triumphed. We will also win with marriage equality. Why? Because its right and its fair.

However, the right thing often takes more time than it should. Let the 'phobes have their giggles and their champagne, and may they choke on their hypocrisy.

Suck it up for the moment brethren, roll up our sleeves and move on to the next phase. Right will win in the end. It always does. It just takes a little time.

Posted by: Taylor Siluwe | Jan 7, 2010 7:10:56 PM

25. Saturday Night Live has a new episode this weekend. Look for a spoof of this on Weekend Update with their recurring "2 gay guys from Jersey" characters

Posted by: mike in houston | Jan 7, 2010 7:17:12 PM