Ewan McGregor | Film | George Stephanopoulos | Kiss | News | Playing Gay

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Ewan McGregor Shuts Down George Stephanopoulos' Homophobic Reaction to His Kiss with Jim Carrey

Ewan_mcgregor

Ewan McGregor shot down some casual homophobia from George Stephanopoulos on Good Morning America yesterday in a discussion about a photo of McGregor and Jim Carrey kissing.

Carrey_kissAsked Stephanopoulos as producers giggled (and one mumbled what sounds like "oh God") in the background: "What is that about?"

Replied McGregor: "Well that's just two men kissing, and it's, uh, in this age, in 2010 it's extraordinary that it's still an object of humor."

Stephanopoulos: "Well you aren't just kissing, you're kind of making out there."

McGregor: "That's a kiss. That's just a kiss."

Watch it (starts at 2:19), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Ten points to Gryffindor. Way to go McGregor. I'd like to see all the queens bitch about their made up "Gay Face" they can't resist talking about now.

Posted by: Nicholas | Feb 19, 2010 2:05:16 PM

2. i love him soooo much.

Posted by: buzz | Feb 19, 2010 2:06:21 PM

3. I wish he were on Twitter.

Posted by: Rodney | Feb 19, 2010 2:08:31 PM

4. I don't think it was homophobic, just sounded like he was asking why in regards to two straight men kissing outside of a role. Kudos to Ewan though for the way he responded as if it isn't anything to be mentioned.

Posted by: SnSD | Feb 19, 2010 2:11:23 PM

5. George Stephanopoulos turned in his "serious journalist card" long ago with his inability to question our last administration on any of its malfeasance—forget this clown.

But well done, Mr. McGregor. Handsome and full of unending class.

Posted by: Daniel Villarreal | Feb 19, 2010 2:11:42 PM

6. How odd, It was my understanding that George Stephanopolos had a few same sex encounters before he got married and that it was well known in the DC area. Anyone from DC hear anything like that?

Posted by: George | Feb 19, 2010 2:11:54 PM

7. I love Ewan, and while I think his response to Stephanopolis' behavior was appropriate...he sort of fired the first shot about George's book which actually was really good.

Posted by: Geoff | Feb 19, 2010 2:12:54 PM

8. Girl, she read Georgina to FILTH!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Feb 19, 2010 2:16:15 PM

9. Anyone kindly care to provide us with this mornings shows contact info? email? I am a strong believer in strongly worded letters.

If this was him kissing a female, it would not have been shown, much less made such a big deal about.

You want gay marriage, and adoption, and civil rights in the military? You first need to lay the groundwork on attaining RESPECT on mass media. If you continually let things like this fly by, I mean...what basis do you have to change minds and show people right from wrong in the LGBT plight.

You can't allow people to think it's acceptable to make a huge deal out of a gay kiss and be repulsed by it then demand they vote for yourmarriage at the same time. Change minds before you change votes.

Posted by: Blake | Feb 19, 2010 2:16:40 PM

10. What book??

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 19, 2010 2:20:43 PM

11. Wow, they should put him in the dictionary under "dignity" and "class."

Posted by: Bruce | Feb 19, 2010 2:24:46 PM

12. I don't think George was being homophobic. Ewan is a married man, and Jim is dating the blonde lady, whose name I can't remember right now, are they married yet? Anyway, they are two supposedly heterosexual men, in committed relationships with women kissing. It's not homophobic to find humor in that. If one of my gay friends who was in a committed relationship was photographed kissing a woman, I might laugh myself!!

Posted by: Kayla | Feb 19, 2010 2:25:17 PM

13. I really like Ewan McGregor as an actor and as a person. I experience him as intelligent, fair-minded and grounded in real life. And he knows how to comfortably handle himself in an interview as well.

Posted by: Kerry | Feb 19, 2010 2:26:21 PM

14. He handled that extremely well. Stephanopoulus could have been curious as to why McGregor was kissing someone he wasn't romantically involved with, which could have been a valid question if it was a female costar, but the giggling and the following 'making out' comment made his casual homophobia clear.

The best part is the awkward silence while McGregor repeats, in a giggle-killing seriousness, 'That's just a kiss'.

Posted by: rbo | Feb 19, 2010 2:26:56 PM

15. this was built up to be more that it was. it's hardly like ms. stephy said anything homophobic...and does anyone think he's straight anyway? is he really fooling the public at large?

Posted by: jgm22 | Feb 19, 2010 2:29:43 PM

16. I took the comment as a retort to the comments about politicians and books about them being boring - since George wrote such a book. That said, the reaction to the kiss was the nervous type prattle you would hear in a schoolyard 30 years ago and not what one would expect from the staff of a major network show. Ewan called them on it, in a "I don't believe you guys are being so immature" kind of way. Yes, I believe it was a homophobic reaction. In this day and age, some people are still freaked about by same sex kissing, and the media isn't helping by their childish reactions. Makes me wonder if the same type of reaction from the media happened during the black civil rights movement. Probably not, since back then the news media too their job seriously - now it is just "info-tainment" out to make a fast buck.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 19, 2010 2:30:05 PM

17. @George yes! i lived in DC in the mid-90s for college and you would see George out and about at JRs. He was always trying to disguise himself and ended up bringing more attention to himself in the process.

Posted by: jgm22 | Feb 19, 2010 2:31:18 PM

18. Kayla is insane. Your logic is skewered, if you were able to pass any thesis's with that kind of thinking....fail.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 19, 2010 2:33:53 PM

19. If you watch the clip it's clear George is not being homophobic. Anyone who watched George on This Week would know he was always asking politicians about gay rights and putting conservative politicians on the spot. If you watched it he is obviously sympathetic to the cause.

Posted by: lark | Feb 19, 2010 2:42:48 PM

20. I wonder how two G&L Sam Champion and Robin Roberts felt about the comments?

Posted by: DairyQueen | Feb 19, 2010 2:45:47 PM

21. Wow, talk about making a big deal out of nothing. I agree with previous comments that the question had more to do with the fact that it was two heterosexual men in relationships kissing. It wasn't homophobic at all. Move on.

Posted by: DLC | Feb 19, 2010 2:46:00 PM

22. George Stuffinenvelopes thinks he's funny,and a Real reporter..he's NOT!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Feb 19, 2010 2:47:33 PM

23. He shut Steffi down like THAT. Brilliant.

He's great in the Polanski, which is required viewing. A lot easier for Steffi to talk about a gay kiss than the crims against humanity perpetrated by people he's "interviewed" on bended knee -- revealed by Polanski for what they really are.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 19, 2010 2:48:57 PM

24. Man, it must be weird to be the only adult in the room sometimes.
    As a matter of act, George Stephanopoulos and I went to the same gym in the Clinton years and used to say hi at the Starbuck's near the White House. I am aware there were rumors about him in DC but they seemed like typical projection on to attractive, reasonably gay-friendly bachelors. I don't believe for a moment that he was some kind of closet case, or that he hung out at JR's imagining he could conceal his identity. There were tons of Republican Hill staffers there on any given night, and they were and probably still are a stupefyingly catty lot, constantly inventing rumors about anyone they couldn't impress in any other way.

Posted by: coolbearinmd | Feb 19, 2010 2:51:16 PM

25. I saw this happen and experienced it as one of *the* great moments in public communication. A 'never thought I'd see this in my lifetime' moment. Three cheers for the wise and beautiful - and blunt - Mr. McGregor. Somebody give him a GLAAD Media Award.

Posted by: emarell | Feb 19, 2010 2:55:42 PM