BigGayDeal.com

Laura Bush: I Told George Not to Make Gay Marriage an Issue

Laurabush

A passage from Laura Bush's memoir, Spoken from the Heart, out next week:

"In 2004 the social question that animated the campaign was gay marriage. Before the election season had unfolded, I had talked to George about not making gay marriage a significant issue. We have, I reminded him, a number of close friends who are gay or whose children are gay. But at that moment I could never have imagined what path this issue would take and where it would lead.”

He wasn't very good at listening — at least to her.

(via mike allen's playbook)

Comments

1. That picture SCREAMS of Stepford!!!

So she's breaking ranks b/c she doesn't want to be labeled discriminatory for the rest of her life... b/c that's what she is.

I wonder if she talks about everyone 'rolling over' for Karl Rove... that would be interesting.

Posted by: stephen | Apr 28, 2010 8:33:33 AM

2. One of the most disgusting, lowest things I've ever saw on television was George W. Bush, as President, say during the State of the Union in 2004 that our relationships, our right to marriage was considered such a horrible threat that an amendment to the Consitution of the United States was necessary. The Federal Marriage Amendment. That disgusting attempt to codify bigotry and discrimination into our most cherished of documents was Karl Rove's idea. And, of course, Bush went along with it.

If this story is true, I commend Laura Bush for at least talking to her husband about her concerns. But she didn't have a chance convincing him, unfortunately.

Posted by: Terry | Apr 28, 2010 8:38:57 AM

3. I think this quote humanizes Laura, although it does not rectify anything.

Posted by: TheOtherMark | Apr 28, 2010 8:44:16 AM

4. Good for her, except she stayed married to him and supported him. So fuck her. If my partner did something like that I'd leave him without a second thought.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Apr 28, 2010 8:48:27 AM

5. Another pretence at tolerance from the female relative of a Republican Bigot. I do't believe a word of it.

And it is worth noticing that the miserable cunt doesn't say that she supports gay marriage. She just wants her scumbag husband not to be such an overt bigot on the subject because, after all, they've got all these alleged gay friends.

And of course, the miserable cunt kept her mouth SHUT on the subject during the eight Godforsaken years she occupied the White House.

Fuck her.

Posted by: Roscoe | Apr 28, 2010 8:51:49 AM

6. Hey, the "popped collar=automatic douche" rule works for women too.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 28, 2010 9:15:03 AM

7. Co-sign Roscoe.

By the way, does she look like Count Dracula in that picture or is it just me? The book should've been called Stake In The Heart.

Posted by: Q | Apr 28, 2010 9:15:34 AM

8. "... that animated the campaign." What a euphemism. That campaign very nearly ended my relationship with my father, and almost tore my family apart.

My life is not a social issue. I agree with Roscoe: fuck her.

Posted by: Jeremy | Apr 28, 2010 9:21:18 AM

9. This picture of Laura Bush is Nancy Reagan-ish.

I don't know, Personally I cannot NOT like Laura Bush.

I may have appreciated this quote more if she had said at some point during Bush's second term. But now...there's no political liability...and the same goes, to some extent, with Cindy and Meghan McCain.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 28, 2010 9:26:31 AM

10. Too bad the History Channel's "America: The Story of Us" wasn't out while Bush was President. He would have learned that the Continental Army was trained by a gay man, Friedrich von Steuben, and his military tactics are still used today. Take that DADT. Of course he was also a rumored boy lover so I'm sure they would have used that against us.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 28, 2010 9:54:14 AM

11. I remember very well(in fact it is stained in my brain); her response to being asked about the Gay marriage issue circa 2004: In her best clenched anus, librarian swarmish way, she said "I think they should welcome the debate". Why I remember it was because of that cold, indifferant, heartless tone. From that moment on everytime I ever saw her prigish mug on TV, I never hesitated to yell "Fuck You, you Cunt"...and I see no reason to change that now.

Posted by: booka | Apr 28, 2010 10:03:28 AM

12. Is it me, or does she look like "Mom" from Futurama? All I can remember is her silences for eight years in the Bush WH...

Posted by: Sean R | Apr 28, 2010 10:04:08 AM

13. Yes Crispy, also, marrying a douche makes you Mrs. Douche. Why would I give a shit about what Mrs. Gee Dubya Douchebag has to say about anything? Why would any of us?

Posted by: wtf | Apr 28, 2010 10:05:26 AM

14. That is a fucking nightmare of a picture.

Posted by: homer | Apr 28, 2010 10:09:47 AM

15. Laura Bush killed a guy.

Posted by: le sigh | Apr 28, 2010 10:10:03 AM

16. Faining Compassion, Too little, Too Late.

No Sincerity.

Just an Attempt to soften Bush Legacy Historically.

She's still the bebeficiary of Georgie's actions, as are the rest of the Bush Clan.

A Pure Shame on the United States.

Send her and the rest of them to Iraq with a handgun.

Posted by: customartist | Apr 28, 2010 10:13:30 AM

17. I agree, this is mostly 'spin', pure and simple. (I wonder if his epic volume will try this tact as well?)

The pic is scary...but I think the size of the posting has a big effect too.

Posted by: Geoff M | Apr 28, 2010 10:21:06 AM

18. what the hell is wrong with some of you. You have someone who was demonstrably NOT on our side who is showing some compassion for our cause, giving us a little bridging between a country that is so polarized it frightens me, and there are snide remarks and attacks on her looks and character. youre no better than the bigots on the right. shame on you.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 28, 2010 10:21:33 AM

19. Though I think by "path" she means she didn't realize it would get as vicious as it did, I think Chris Geidner's take is the most accurate on her own guilt when he translated her advice as: "Don't hurt our gay friends—any more than you NEED to do." Poor Little Laura the Librarian, Herr Shrub's own Eva Braun.

What I also hate about this is that it will be an excuse for another round of examples of Silly Savage Stockholm Syndrome: "SEE! We told you George and Laura don't PERSONALLY hate gay people." [And we already have so entries in the contest above.] Sometimes such beliefs are pure fantasy, and sometimes they result from simply not listening carefully, such as the invincible myth you seem to be referencing that Cheney supports marriage equality more than he does "states rights."

EARTH TO SUBCONSCIOUSLY SELF-LOATHING GAYS: None of us should care what the personal FEELINGS are of ANYONE versus what the DO, and that INCLUDES, most critically, the CURRENT President. Whatever his "feelings" are, no matter how many gays he has working for him or invites to roll White House Easter eggs, he doesn't get forgiveness for playing even a passive let alone an active role in our continued oppression. The arrogance and ego exhibited in those flashes of rage when he was interrupted by GetEqual in LA recently was manifested in another way last year during Obama's interview with Catholic media whom he told:

"as a Christian, I'm constantly WRESTLING with my faith and my solicitude and regard and concern for gays and lesbians."

Gosh, Pope Barry, our hearts go out to you and your anguished religiofascism-endorsing soul. Meanwhile, back at current events:

Exhibit A: Obama is ACTIVELY obstructing a vote on DADT repeal in Congress by empowering the vote-stalling and PHONY "study"and by refusing to publicly state he wants repeal THIS year and by refusing to personally arm twist members of Congress to do it. YES, he CAN!

[Fake repeal advocates Gates and Mullen all but teared up Feb. 2nd and said, "Discharges hurt us more than the hurt gays."]

Exhibit B: he is passively letting discharges continue, day after day after day, even as you read this...even tho he said himself ten months ago that there was an "urgency" to stopping them both because they're "unjust" and "weaken national security"...by refusing to use his Congressionally mandated authority under 10 USC 12305 to freeze discharges...wait for it...in the name of national security. YES, he COULD!

And with those regurgitations of how gay-friendly Les Bushes really were, will we see people excreting: "It was just his homophobic advisors like Karl Rove, not him" the way Obambots are drooling now that it's solely Jim Messina's fault and/or the fault of his boss Rahm Emanuel? Was Bush, is Obama, any less personally responsible despite their alleged personal "feelings"?

History Reminder: 2004 wasn't the first time Bush and Rove had allegedly exploited homophobia—which helped elect him to his first office. He became governor of Texas in part on the back of a whisper campaign that incumbant governor Ann Richards was a lesbian.

History Lesson: I've read that the Texas race wasn't the first time Rove had exploited homophobia. Years before when he personally ran for head of the College Young Republicans his chief rival was a guy named Terry Dolan. A whisper campaign about Dolan's very real but very publicly closeted homosexuality helped Rove win. But Dolan would go on to be briefly almost as powerful as Rove would become. He led a ruthless far right political pac campaign that drove several "too liberal" Senators out of Washington forever including George McGovern, Birch Bayh, and Frank Church before dying, still in the public closet, of AIDS.

No, I'm not imagining a univeral IMmoral equivalency between Bush and Obama, tho that case might be made in terms of pro-LGBT legislation. But are advisors who tell their President to obstruct gay equality that are Dems any less despicable than Repug advisors who do the same thing?

The larger point is that the fish rots from the top down, kids. It did in 2004; it does in 2010.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Apr 28, 2010 10:26:34 AM

20. All I can say about her pic is... Thorazine? Her humanistic statement rectifies nothing.

Posted by: NancyBoyDrew | Apr 28, 2010 10:29:37 AM

21. Scary pic. I feel sorry for her, having married that idiot and being too traditional-minded to ask for a divorce. I guess she consoles herself in other ways?

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 28, 2010 10:41:44 AM

22. OBAMA took her advice. He didn't make anything gay a significant issue after he took our money.

Posted by: Name: | Apr 28, 2010 10:44:09 AM

23. Too little, too late...and when she spoke about the Bushes having gay friends, did that include Condoleezza Rice?

Posted by: veg | Apr 28, 2010 10:49:56 AM

24. An addendum to the Terry Dolan story, after doing the heavy lifting for the Republicans for years the only Republican official to attend Dolan's funeral was Bob Dole. All the others boycotted.

Posted by: mike shackleford | Apr 28, 2010 10:58:50 AM

25. Agree with Adam. You can't write people off because of their spouses. And I can't see what's in it for her by making this up. Small steps begin great walks - this is a small step.

Posted by: JusticeontheRocks | Apr 28, 2010 11:08:11 AM