Charlie Crist | Florida | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Charlie Crist Announces He'll Leave GOP, Run Independent

Crist

Florida Governor Charlie Crist abandoned the Republican party to run for Senate as an independent yesterday afternoon.

Said Crist: "My decision to run for the United States Senate as a candidate without party affiliation in many ways says more about our nation and our state than it does about me. As someone who served the people of Florida more than 15 years… I can confirm what most Floridians already know: unfortunately, our political system is broken."

Watch Crist's announcement, AFTER THE JUMP...

Crist's opponent, teabagger Marco Rubio, said Crist's announcement "doesn't change the race at all" in an appearance on Hannity Thursday evening.

Comments

1. He looks like Ricky Martin. ;-)

Posted by: Eugene | Apr 30, 2010 9:27:17 AM

2. So how soon will the GOP bring out all the dirt on Charlie's gayness that they held back when the Dems were trying to out him? I'm guessing about a week.

Posted by: ChicagoRick | Apr 30, 2010 9:40:55 AM

3. Same Game, Same Day, just a different name! Why would his personal policies be any different then they are now.... A rose by any other name still remains a rose. Those who would have supported him before may still, those who he is trying to reach will see he is no different today then he was yesterday.. A foolhardy move to "Switch" parties.....

Posted by: alexinboston | Apr 30, 2010 10:07:26 AM

4. so now instead of being a repuklican closet case he is an independant closet case. does he have to change closets along with party.hope the repuks out him quickly. maybe he can give a " i'm a gay american speach. he should have watched the movie OUTRAGE before doing anything. just how dumb are these women who hang all over his arm to cover who he is'

Posted by: walter | Apr 30, 2010 10:50:48 AM

5. Like him or not, he's the only thing standing between a wack job and a Senate seat.

Posted by: JusticeontheRocks | Apr 30, 2010 12:02:26 PM

6. Awesome! I'm hoping his switch to an independent helps siphon votes away from Rubio.

Then again, if Rubio wins he'll get the hell outta my neighborhood. I cringe that this guy lives two blocks away from me. I can smell the teabag stench from my backyard. LOL

Posted by: PatrickPATRICK | Apr 30, 2010 12:30:17 PM

7. @walter

"maybe he can give a " i'm a gay american speach"

That would be a little too "in your face" - unless the Republicans try to out him.

Posted by: Eugene | Apr 30, 2010 12:32:50 PM

8. "Why would his personal policies be any different then they are now"

For the same reason Arlen Specter's personal policies are different now than they were about a year ago.

Posted by: rafi | Apr 30, 2010 3:07:14 PM

9. This guy is so incredibly hypocritical, opportunistic, and generally loathsome. He's also incredibly defensive and negative these days, whereas he used to be all smiles. For some reason he sickens me more than most conservatives, simply because he's so transparent yet still holds office and will likely continue to do so in one form or another.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 30, 2010 5:22:09 PM