Comments

1. Bill says

Most gay people are so pathetic that a heterosexual just has to say the right words and everything is “fine.” Words are not enough. Has anyone been prosecuted?

2. Paul R says

I’m happy to see progress—in Texas, no less!—but I’m not sure I see the need for an entire movie on this. It was a horrible event, but it wasn’t exactly Stonewall. It was basic police brutality.

3. says

There is much more to the story than simply the events that occurred on June 28, 2009. The raid itself was the catalyst for ground breaking change. However, that change did not come easily. The documentary follows the journey, including the good, the bad, the ugly and the controversial. It may not be Stonewall, but the events that occurred June 28, 2009 and the aftermath changed lives just as much for witnesses of the raid and citizens of Fort Worth, and the impact should not be marginalized.

You can learn more about the film at

OR

4. says

@ Paul: To say this “wasn’t exactly Stonewall” I’d have to agree with you. It was worse. Raids on gay bars were commonplace in the 50’s and 60’s. This came out of nowhere. I challenge anyone on this board to give me 10 examples of police raiding gay bars in America – with no provocation, no less – in the last 10 years and I’ll gladly eat my hat.

Before the Stonewall Riots took place, patrons understood that you were taking your liberty into your own hands by walking into a gay bar. Nowadays, patrons of gay bars take it for granted that the police are there to protect them wherever they congregate peacefully, not attack them. So in some ways, this raid was worse. It came from out of nowhere and completely blind sided people.

On a positive note, there’s nothing like public shaming to make policies change, huh? I have a feeling had this not garnered the international attention it did nothing would have changed. Shaming works!

5. Skooter McGoo says

Even after all this praise, one year later living in Ft Worth and especially Texas, I still wouldn’t trust the police dept of this or ANY city surrounding Dallas/FtWorth. I live here and know what has not changed, the “Bubba mentality” that is fed by the Christian ruled GOP who hates every gay person in the state and would like to see them dead or in prison. Don’t be fooled into a false sense of security that any police officer will “protect and serve” your interest. Reality.

6. says

The Pride season has wrapped up another year in the U.S. Pride was originally a remembrance and re-enforcement of what we learned from Stonewall. In most cities, it is now a corporate-sponsored beer bash where real estate agents show property listings, massage therapists bring their padded tables, and t-shirt salespeople make a few bucks.

When and why did we stop being outraged?