Betty White | Chris Colfer | Film and TV | Glee | Jane Lynch | Jesse Tyler Ferguson | Modern Family | Neil Patrick Harris | Twitter

62nd Annual Emmy Nominations Announced: "Out"-Standing Nominees

Gay

Good news for Colfer: A nomination. Bad news: The competition.

The nominations for the 62nd Annual Emmy Awards were announced this morning. Interestingly, almost half the shows nominated for Outstanding Drama or Outstanding Comedy are first-time nominees.

9656a1f9-8e38-4acb-b0cd-70cf349cd50d_Main_modernfamily_12

Duking it out in the same category...please keep it classy for Lily's sake.

Glee Jane Lynch Gay actors Jane Lynch and Chris Colfer were nominated for their supporting work on Glee, while out actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson and gay-for-pay Eric Stonestreet were tipped for their supporting work as a gay couple on Modern Family. Neil Patrick Harris was again nominated for How I Met Your Mother. Colfer vs. Ferguson vs. Stonestreet vs. Harris? Tough call. (Jon Cryer for Two and a Half Men and Ty Burrell from Modern Family round out the supporting category for the men.)

Lynch was also nominated for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for appearing on Two and a Half Men, but she's up against Betty White for her SNL gig. White's chances seem golden.

Colfer has already thanked fans for their support via Twitter.

Full list of the major categories is after the jump. Who, if anyone, are you rooting for? Who, if anyone, do you think wuz robbed?

DRAMA

OUTSTANDING DRAMA

Lost
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Mad Men
True Blood
The Good Wife

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife)
Mariska Hargitay (
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit)
Glenn Close (

Terry O’ Quinn (Lost)
Michael Emerson (
Lost)
Andre Braugher (
Men of a Certain Age)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

Sharon Gless (Burn Notice)
Christine Baranski (
The Good Wife)
Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)
Rose Byrne (

The Office
Curb Your Enthusiasm

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

Lea Michele (Glee)
Tina Fey (30 Rock)
Toni Collette (
The United States of Tara)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus (
The New Adventures of Old Christine)
Edie Falco (
Nurse Jackie)
Amy Poehler (
Parks and Recreation)

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A COMEDY

Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm)
Alec Baldwin (
30 Rock)
Matthew Morrison (Glee)
Steve Carell (
The Office)
Jim Parsons (
The Big Bang Theory)
Tony Shalhoub (
Monk)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY

Chris Colfer (Glee)
Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother)
Jesse Tyler Ferguson (

Sofia Vergara (
Modern Family)
Holland Taylor (
Two and A Half Men)

REALITY

OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW HOST

Ryan Seacrest (American Idol)
Phil Keoghan (

OUTSTANDING VARIETY, MUSIC, OR COMEDY SERIES

The Colbert Report
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
Real Time With Bill Maher
Saturday Night Live
The Tonight Show With Conan O’Brien

Comments

1. Although I enjoy the gay couple, Ty Burrell's character Phil Dumphry is by far my favorite on Modern family.

Posted by: DJSauvage | Jul 8, 2010 12:38:20 PM

2. Mike O'Malley was also nominated as Best Guest Actor on a Comedy for his wonderful performances as Kurt's dad. Their scenes together have been the most powerful on the show.

Posted by: Smartypants | Jul 8, 2010 12:40:22 PM

3. Jane Lynch has to win supporting actress. She's just brightened up too many shows and films with her presence not to be recognized.

Posted by: Wes | Jul 8, 2010 12:44:43 PM

4. I'm amazed by how an idiotic show like Glee keeps raking up nominations and awards...

Posted by: Chris | Jul 8, 2010 12:48:52 PM

5. You forgot to mention Ms Kathy Griffin for her fifth-time nominated oustanding reality show, "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List". Not only did she have an episode dedicated to gay issues ("Norma Gay"), but also she is an out and proud gay man herself!

As for the rest... Eric Stonestreet isn't gay?! Give that man an Emmy!

Posted by: stingo | Jul 8, 2010 12:57:12 PM

6. Yeh, I gotta go with Ty Burrell. He absolutely kills me. WTF? Why the face?

Posted by: crispy | Jul 8, 2010 1:11:25 PM

7. Among the above-labeled 'out-standing' actors, I give an edge to the hilarious Jesse Tyler Ferguson (but like them all). Among the other nominees, my faves would have to be Sofia Vergara, Julianna Margulies, and the latter's drama series The Good Wife. Glee ought to win based on general entertainment value, and I echo Smartypants' comment above about Mike O'Malley as Kurt's father. That's a paradigm-busting performance.

Posted by: emarell | Jul 8, 2010 1:19:08 PM

8. ha ha ha....stingo, you're perhaps the most annoying person here...perhaps...kyle's pretty annoying,too...LOL! I think I'd rather pass kidney stone then watch this.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 8, 2010 1:19:34 PM

9. If Colfer picked the Beyoncé episode and if O'Malley picked the episode where he takes Finn apart for saying 'faggy', then they'll both be hard to beat.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 8, 2010 1:24:16 PM

10. ummmmmm, "paradigm-busting performance" beats "outstanding reality show". But you can flip a coin as to which show's more unbearable...

I need an editor. I'd rather pass a kidney stone than watch this.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 8, 2010 1:25:19 PM

11. Ed O'Neill was the only cast member of "Modern Family" not nominated. Interesting...or not.

Jon Cryer winning last year was bad enough, imo. Winning two years in a row for that stupid, painfully unfunny crapfest of a "comedy" would be inexcusible. I think Neil Patrick Harris will win in that category this year.

Posted by: Terry | Jul 8, 2010 1:28:21 PM

12. Cougar Town (and Courteney Cox/Bijou Phillips) were robbed. Modern Family is excellent and got all the attention, but half the time, Cougar Town outshone it. Outshined? Outshonted?

Posted by: Scott | Jul 8, 2010 1:29:31 PM

13. terrific for Colfer and Mike O'Malley -- the Kurt / Burt Hummell scenes are the heart and soul of Glee.

Know who was robbed?

FRINGE
    - it's X-files creepy and has become one of the best shows on TV
    JOHN NOBLE
    - as Walter Bishop on Fringe, is the best lead actor on TV, he goes from hilarious to heartbreaking to insane in a single speech.

Posted by: Strepsi | Jul 8, 2010 1:39:34 PM

14. I guess I'm the only gay person in the world who really can't stand "Glee".

I love musicals, don't get me wrong, but "Glee" is at best wildly uneven, and at worst cringe-inspiring. Whiny singing, boring teenage problems... and the fantabulous Jane Lynch stuck in a one-dimensional role (which, I have to say, she plays the HELL out of).

I thought the Madonna-themed episode was idiotic. The Auto-tuning was not even disguised, so I'm not cumming all over myself about the singing. Chris Colfer is just too, well, "faggy" to stand for more than 10 seconds at a time.

No, "Modern Family" is much better TV. It's more consistently hilarious, the cast is uniformly strong (Sofía Vergara is a stealth bomber of wonderful comedy)-- it SHOULD win Best Comedy. But won't, because everyone gets all hot over that crapfest "Glee".

And yes, Ed O'Neill was ROBBED. He should be up for a Best Actor Emmy.

Posted by: RW in LGB | Jul 8, 2010 2:19:34 PM

15. The nominations are generally OK this year -- glad for "Glee" and "Modern Family." But it would have been nice to have seen Courtney Cox get a nomination for "Cougar Town" -- the show is consistently funny, despite the stupid name.

Posted by: D.B. | Jul 8, 2010 2:22:41 PM

16. I'm rooting for Ian McKellen for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Mini-series for "The Prisoner". He was robbed last year for his amazing "King Lear" and his guest appearance on "Extras" two years before that.

Also, Vanessa Williams was robbed!

Posted by: LD | Jul 8, 2010 2:25:22 PM

17. RW, I don't really like Glee very much either. Its okay sometimes but mostly I'm just not into it. But I'm a huge Modern Family fan, that show is pure fun.

Posted by: Wes | Jul 8, 2010 2:25:26 PM

18. my bad: Ian McKellen is up for Outstanding LEAD Actor in a mini-series. Even better!

Posted by: LD | Jul 8, 2010 2:39:56 PM

19. I don't care for Glee myself, and I have to agree that the writing is terribly uneven... the characters seem to be different people each episode!

But my hubby adores it so I watch every week because I would like to continue getting sex.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 8, 2010 2:48:24 PM

20. I would have liked to have seen Jorge Garcia ("Lost") and Jensen Ackles or Misha Collins ("Supernatural") noticed.
    As for the current nominees, my picks are for Drama: "Lost", Glenn Close, Matthew Fox, Aaron Paul, and Archie Panjabi. For Comedy: "Modern Family", Amy Poehler, Alec Baldwin (again), NPH, and Jane Lynch.

Posted by: Rodney W. | Jul 8, 2010 2:50:32 PM

21. RW in LGB: Well Chris Colfer may be too faggy for you, but your too much of an asshole for me.

The butch bottoms are always the biggest haters of the flamers.

Posted by: qjersey | Jul 8, 2010 3:06:09 PM

22. @qjersey: Hey, it's TRUE what they say about 'mos from New Jersey...!

Chill out, Mary, you'll deflate your moussed hair-did!

Oh, and learn to spell.

I'm not a "hater"-- I just hate how they've written that poor kid's character to hit every single irritating girly-homo cliché in the book. With diminishing returns.

Posted by: RW in LGB | Jul 8, 2010 3:21:00 PM

23. Jane Lynch should and will win for Supporting Actress, but I think even she would give you the side eye with an extra helping of "Bitch please!" if she won over Betty White for the Best Guest Actress.

RW in LGB: QJersey said it best, but I just wanted to add that fags who hate fags for being faggy always secretly hate themselves more. That's why they lash out at others with identifiable gay traits, because they see something in that person that they hate in themselves. A truly happy and secure person wouldn't give a damn. Get some therapy, and stop being such an asshole.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jul 8, 2010 3:25:01 PM

24. @christopherm: I'm perfectly happy with myself. I'm perfectly happy with everyone, no matter how butch or queeny or assholish or however they act.

HOWEVER: I do find queenishness to be badly handled in most films or TV shows, and I see that distinct possibility in "Glee". It's just too diffuse in its premise and throughlines to say anything good about being gay, and the character is too cartoonish to make me-- or anyone-- care. And Mike O'Malley turns all he touches to shit. Anyone remember "Yes, Dear"?!

Posted by: RW in LGB | Jul 8, 2010 3:49:25 PM

25. Oh, and I find that the gay fans of "Glee" tend to see a bit too much of themselves in Chris Colfer's character, so I'm not surprised by the defensiveness.

Truth is, I'm more like Cameron in "Modern Family". Comfortably gay with hidden surprises (not the football background, but I am pretty good at basic plumbing and electrical projects and can put in my own windows).

So everyone just chill. Damn drama queens...! LOL