Anderson Cooper | News | Terry Jones

Watch: Anderson Cooper Covers Terry Jones Quran Burning Sham

Ac

Anderson Cooper covered the whole Pastor Terry Jones Quran-burning/NYC mosque sham.  Imam Muhammad Musri (Islamic Society Of Central Florida) accuses Jones of blackmail for drumming up publicity by lying about a scheduled meeting between himself and folks behind Park51.

In part two, Anderson talks with Jeffrey Toobin, David Gergen, Zuhdi Jasser and Paul Begala.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I could smell bullshit on this story a mile away. The "media" reports lies and misrepresentation as fact - look no further than Fox News for a minute by minute example; and our ignorant populace puts up with it and buys it hook line and sinker each time. We're doomed - as a commenter posted yesterday on a story about the elections - "The barbarians are at the gate..."

Posted by: Mike | Sep 10, 2010 7:54:10 AM

2. The "pastor" is a publicity whore, totally unworthy of news time.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Sep 10, 2010 8:44:23 AM

3. I wish the media, including Anderson, would stop giving any attention at all to this radical hick.

Such a shame that the most extreme views, held by the tiniest minority, gets such a disproportionate amount of press. That's a direct failure of our news media.

Posted by: sparks | Sep 10, 2010 8:49:13 AM

4. I disagree, this is how we have public conversation. It's good that this is publicly present as it gives an example for us to talk about. If it remains hidden then we can't really talk except in theory. It feels scary but what is hidden is more dangerous.

Posted by: Bruce Price | Sep 10, 2010 9:49:26 AM

5. After listening to the clip, I suddenly understand where the confusion comes from: this idiot "pastor" hasn't spoken to an imam; he has been speaking to Iman, the supermodel.

Seriously, he doesn't even know the right word. What if people insisted on calling him "plaster" or "pasture" or "moron"?

Posted by: Thomasina | Sep 10, 2010 11:36:01 AM

6. I am kind of hoping he burns them. It will make for interesting news as the muslims across the world will scamper around like a ants after being prodded with a stick. Doesn't take much to get them all riled up.

I personally have little patience for radical religion but Islam seems to meet the definition of a Cult more so than an organized religion. They follow the teachings of a murdering, child raping supposed profit who advocated and participated in the killing of anyone who didn't believe he was a prophet.

Contrast that with Christ, not his idiot followers, who was the antithesis of that. Never killed anyone; never advocated any violence what so ever. The whole purpose of Christ was to take religion in a new direction from the Old Testament.

I am not religious but Mohammed looks more like Jim Jones or Charles Manson than a prophet of the creator.

Posted by: Jason | Sep 10, 2010 11:39:09 AM

7. It irks me no end to see Gay journalists like Anderson Cooper and Rachel Maddow standing up for a religion that advocates throwing their kind off of a cliff. Tolerance for an intolerant faith . . . something's wrong with this picture.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Sep 10, 2010 12:27:55 PM

8. And another thing: The term "Islamophobia" makes me grit my teeth. Adherents of this unrepentantly homophobic and woman-hating religion have had the audacity to adapt the term "homophobia" to describe America's outrage at its extremist teachings. How f*cking dare they?

I don't care whether or not there's an Islamic center built near Ground Zero. There are more than enough mosques, synagogues and temples around to trigger my outrage. Wherever intolerant religions build their houses of worship, it's a blight on the Earth!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Sep 10, 2010 12:49:46 PM

9. Tobah!
    My head is spinning.
    Happy Eid to all my fellow Muslims!

Posted by: Kazemi | Sep 10, 2010 12:55:35 PM

10. This is all getting way too much media coverage.

Posted by: anon | Sep 10, 2010 1:09:45 PM

11. All this BULLSHIT for a organized religion pissing contest. "my religion is better than yours." I am so sick of it.

Posted by: Dairyqueen | Sep 10, 2010 2:34:07 PM

12. I think it's typical to watch religions destroy each other, or attempt to. They inevitably do this, and there's no real way to prevent it from happening, as much as some like to tout religious tolerance...

I hope this unbalanced religious fool goes through with it, personally. I don't think he needs to acquiesce to the not so subtle threats of violence from extremists, and moreso, I don't think that the guvment should be asking him to. To quote barack obama on the ground zero mosque, "this is america," and acts of free speech like this confirm it, like it or not. And we need to see the face of radical islam to confront it. Theo Van Gogh and the danish cartoon controversey need to be regular occurrences to root out the problem that is radical islam.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 10, 2010 2:44:17 PM

13. Oh, and I hope someone burns bibles there, too. Books humanity can do a lot better without...and hopefully soon...

Posted by: TANK | Sep 10, 2010 2:50:23 PM

14. Regardless, it made me think. I realize this may be an unpopular view. But I was thinking, what if we organize a burning of all holy books in protest of how religion has seeped into our government. For whatever reason the statement “separation of church and state” seems to be completely overlooked. Or how about a burning of holy books to show the irony of religious intolerance in America.

Or how about we just forgo all that and learn to accept our differences and focus on how we can get along. Regardless if we disagree, it is a fundamental right of every American to believe and worship how they wish. Leave the judgment up to “which God(s) they serve or don‘t serve“.

Posted by: justin | Sep 11, 2010 2:12:34 AM

15. "The defiant stance has led General Petraeus, the head of NATO forces in Afghanistan, to join international condemnation of pastor Jones.
    The General urged Afghans to understand only a small number of people had been disrespectful to the Koran and Islam.
    He said: 'We condemn, in particular, the action of an individual in the United States who recently burned the Holy Koran.
    'We also offer condolences to the families of all those injured and killed in violence which occurred in the wake of the burning of the Holy Koran.'
    The call comes after a third day of violence in Afghanistan saw at least ten deaths, 78 injured and at least 17 arrests as protesters clash with security forces in Kandahar.
    There were also reports of attempted suicide attacks on a U.S. military base in Kabul, but these were not directly linked to Mr Jones's actions.
    The vilified pastor remains unrepentant about his actions, and has even hinted that he will take his provocative stance further.
    He said in an interview: 'It is definitely a consideration to stage a trial on the life of Mohammed in the future.'
    Such a move would trigger further violent protests in the Muslim world - even in more moderate Islamic states.
    "