Dolly Parton | Larry King | News

Dolly Parton: 'We Need to Accept People for Who They Are'

Parton

Dolly Parton talks to Larry King about why gay people like her, and how there isn't enough love and acceptance in the world.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I love Dolly, she is a fantastic composer, very smart business person. One of those global super stars we don't know, because her public image is so strong her inner person isn't visable.
    Thanks Dolly for your support and music.

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 26, 2010 9:42:01 AM

2. Love her!!!! She is the sweetest lady!

Posted by: mattew sullivan | Nov 26, 2010 10:51:56 AM

3. Dolly is a great person as well as a smart business woman and gifted composer, etc. all virtues recounted in the posts above. At this point however, she is getting a "skeletor" look going, or perhaps "Lady Cryptkeeper" for a news Tales From the Crypt television series.

Posted by: tweedle | Nov 26, 2010 11:39:56 AM

4. She may not be a biological mother, but I think of her as one of my moms. Every time I see her I know there is someone out there who unapologetically says the things every gay child needs to hear. Plus she's so damn fun! And she is beautiful. Tweedle, Rush Limbaugh called. He wants his sense of humor back.

Posted by: Troy | Nov 26, 2010 12:11:16 PM

5. Love her!

Posted by: Max | Nov 26, 2010 2:02:51 PM

6. please don't speak badly about Dolly..seriously..the woman is a peach!

Posted by: Amaezm | Nov 26, 2010 4:57:01 PM

7. Dolly is one of the only people who seems to be loved by both red and blue America. And with good reason... she is incredibly smart and talented. Furthermore, she has a magnificent heart. I absolutely adore her. God Bless Dolly!!

Posted by: Yar | Nov 26, 2010 5:11:34 PM

8. Yes, dolly's great...but...she looks like a muppet.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 26, 2010 5:17:37 PM

9. The bad things you say about Dolly Parton reflect much more about you than they do about her.

Posted by: Brandon | Nov 26, 2010 5:24:54 PM

10. Her looking like a muppet says more about me than her? Like what?

Posted by: TANK | Nov 26, 2010 5:30:39 PM

11. Love her!

I look just like the girls next door... if you happen to live next door to an amusement park.
    -Dolly Parton

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain! "
    — Dolly Parton

"Its hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world."
    — Dolly Parton

"Find out who you are and do it on purpose."
    -Dolly Parton

"I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb - and I'm not blonde either."
    — Dolly Parton

"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap"
    — Dolly Parton

"I always just thought if you see somebody without a smile, give'em yours!"
    — Dolly Parton

"People always ask me how long it takes to do my hair. I don’t know, I’m never there."
    — Dolly Parton

Posted by: IAN F | Nov 26, 2010 5:37:33 PM

12. Dolly is 100% pure class.

Posted by: John in Houston | Nov 26, 2010 6:20:22 PM

13. Have always loved Dolly ever since i was little & watched her on the Porter Waggoner Show! She's got a huge heart and has always been a good person. She's got the same kind of attitude towards loving gays that the late sweet Tammy Faye had.

As for Tweedle's criticism about her looks, i think she looks great for somebody that's about to turn 65 in January!! Kind of ironic that Tweedle is sitting there in judgement over somebody on a clip that's saying we should love & accept people as they are without judging, lol.

Posted by: TNcliff | Nov 26, 2010 7:38:09 PM

14. I love Dolly, too; but really! Who did her makeup? She looks like a drunken muppet!

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Nov 26, 2010 10:09:35 PM

15. Dolly being supportive of gay people is like Shamu being supportive of whales. Not for months or years, but for decades she has fended off lesbian rumors, much in the way Oprah has, but, as Pappy Bush used to say, "kinder, gentler." Me not buying. I love her music- well, the early years. And I love her looks- well, the earlier years before she went the Michael Jackson route. But all the gushing about her so-called tolerance reminds me how innocent people are, even on a site that's supposed to be hip. Naturally, someone reading this will spring into action, defending her honor... where is the proof she is a lebsian? Of course, the converse would be absurd, never occur... where is the proof she is hetero?
    No, her absentee, invisible husband is not substantial proof, nor are her denials. But hetero is the default, it requires no proof. And to say otherwise would be a slur. Since Dolly is a nice lady, and doesn't wear Birkenstocks to the roller derby, she cannot be a lesbian, right? And we should take her at her word. Over, over and over again, she has denied it. True or not, some support, eh?

Listen, kiddies, there is one reason and only one reason Dolly is so "supportive" to a group, if it is possible to be supportive of yourself. It is for the same reason Elizabeth Taylor is genuinely supportive. It is to keep her name and marketing value alive and well. Again, the naivete here is not substantially different from the rubes who swallow everything Sarah Palin bleats.

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Nov 27, 2010 10:46:27 AM

16. @Tank-it reveals that you prefer to focus on the negative.

Dolly is an amazing spirit and her message is so wonderful and supportive. I know the likely hood of her reading the comments section of this blog are zero- but how awful it would be for her to see such comments about her appearance after speaking out about acceptance.
    I do think we always hope the subject of the post we are commenting on somehow gets our message- I always try to keep that in the back of my head when I leave a comment.

Posted by: krispy | Nov 27, 2010 10:51:01 AM

17. @ Tank: get out of my head! I was thinking the same thing when I saw that picture. LOL But let me clarify- I love Dolly and everything she is. I love the Muppets and everything they is too. ;)

Posted by: Kerry | Nov 27, 2010 11:14:04 AM

18. I saw Ms. Parton years ago at a county fair. She was appearing with Porter Waggoner. It was a wonderful show. Afterwards, she and Mr. Waggoner were autographing record albums. I was with a friend of mine and we were just gob-smacked by the whole thing! We each bought a record and had it autographed. Ms. Parton and Mr. Waggoner were both in their stage outfits, just glittering. We debated afterwards whether either one was, um, a "natural blonde". Dolly Parton was as kind and sweet a person as one might ever meet. We stood off to the side and watched her, in awe, as she greeted every person with the open sincereness that is her trademark quality.

@PROFESSORVP: I don't know whether or not Towleroad is a "hip" site (that's so 1960's of you), but generally people here make sense with humour, honour and intelligence.

Too bad you weren't able to do the same.

Posted by: mikej | Nov 27, 2010 11:40:08 AM

19. Dolly is my hero.

Posted by: Mike F | Nov 27, 2010 11:46:30 AM

20. Interesting biological experiment. Recall people in your life who "look like muppets"...they are probably nice and pretty compassionate. Jim Henson was on to something.

Posted by: Kermit D. Frog | Nov 27, 2010 2:24:56 PM

21. @ Mike J: Gosh, I spilled the beans with my usage of the word "hip." Tsk-tsk. Well, now you know, I grew up in the 60s. Therefore, that makes everything I think and write as stale as yesterday's Pop Tart.

Well, that's how long I've been watching and listening to Dolly. Nobody- least of all me- is saying she is not a fine performer. But it her "sincereness" (I think you mean sincerity) that I question. She is one of many, many gay and lesbian performers who claim to be supportive of us, while they are, in reality, one of us. For decades, she has jumped on the perceived accusation and slur of lesbianism and will clarify that she is "supportive" of LBGTs, but no, God forbid we think she IS one, or her career will collapse like John Goodman's beach chair. I do not call this cunning approach, as you write, "honour." (In the States, we spell it honor.")

Also, I think my opening remark about Shamu the whale displayed sufficient, as you write, "humour." (In the States, we spell it humor.) You can stand up and defend yourself, but you cannot be supportive of yourself. You can only be supportive of those different from you.

Some may credit her with support and openness, but I spell it fear and connivance. There is absolutely no empirical evidence to support she is hetero, and it is her deathly fear of her loyal fans that keeps her being "supportive."

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Nov 27, 2010 5:10:45 PM

22. ^Yes, because you have empirical proof of everything you say. Stop using your speculations to talk shit and shaddup, will ya? Lame-ass lame.

Posted by: KL | Nov 27, 2010 5:56:48 PM

23. I can't disagree, KL. Because what you wrote isn't even English.

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Nov 27, 2010 7:59:06 PM

24. I rest my case, and KL helps prove it... I think. (His English is sort of primitive, but I think I get the point.) If I "spectulated" somebody was straight, there would be no hurt feelings, no need to defend anyone's honor. It just proves that Dolly is quite reasonable to fear her fans. And speculating that Dolly is a lesbian is like speculating Bullwinkle is a moose. That said, I've enjoyed her for years as a thoroughly professional performer who invented herself. But no, do not expect gratitude from me when a lesbian or gay man is "supportive" of gays and lesbians.

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Nov 27, 2010 8:02:36 PM

25. PROFESSORVP, you pompous prick.

Miss Parton seems genuine, descent and I've always liked her. And she's AGING...like everybody alive.

Assholes.