Dolly Parton | GLAAD | Glee | Kristin Chenoweth | Modern Family | Ramin Setoodeh

BigGayDeal.com

Kristin Chenoweth, Glee And Modern Family Among Those Honored At GLAAD Media Awards In Los Angeles

GLAAD began handing out trophies for its 22nd annual Media Awards in New York City last month. Tonight the awards show continued with part 2 in Los Angeles.

Kc Sean Hayes presented Kristin Chenoweth with the Vanguard Award which she was awarded for her promotion of equal rights for the LGBT community and speaking out in support of Hayes after last year's controversial Newsweek article written by Ramin Setoodeh.

Glee and Modern Family tied for Outstanding Comedy Series.

Outstanding TV Journalism Segment - MSNBC's The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell won for his segment "Fort Worth Speech" about City Council member Joel Burns and his incredibly moving speech. Burns and O'Donnell met in person for the first time on stage tonight.

The Stephen F. Kolzak Award - Openly gay NBC Entertainment president Robert Greenblatt (presented by surprise guest Dolly Parton)

Outstanding Reality Program - Project Runway

Outstanding Film in Limited Release - I Love You Phillip Morris

The GLAAD Media Awards will hand out the final awards of the year on May 14 in San Francisco.

Watch Chenoweth's terrific speech (funny, endearing and touching - the perfect acceptance speech) and the acceptance speeches for the Modern Family/Glee tie, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Jeez I love her.

Posted by: Robert | Apr 11, 2011 3:30:37 AM

2. Did Rick Martin receive another Vito Russo award for his deal with Target?

Posted by: tank | Apr 11, 2011 9:13:33 AM

3. Too bad Sean Hayes didn't have Kristen's balls when it came to coming out when it really mattered.

This whole "controversy" was as much as a publicity stunt as his timely "coming out".

I wonder which next B or C-list artist will come out to boost a lagging career in the name of personal honesty?

Posted by: Mark | Apr 11, 2011 10:03:14 AM

4. For GLAAD to give Lawrence O'Donnell an award is just bizarre; it reeks of kissing up to mainstream media. O'Donnell has been known to indulge in crass Gay jokes on his TV show.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Apr 11, 2011 12:53:17 PM

5. @stuffed animal: Rachel Maddow got this award last year. They are just running through the MSNBC line-up.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Apr 11, 2011 1:31:16 PM

6. My brother asked if I could ever fall in love with a woman. I said that unless I ever meet Kristin Chenoweth, I'll always be gay.

Posted by: GregV | Apr 11, 2011 2:33:31 PM

7. Check out her performance of "Upon This Rock" from her "Christian" album "As I Am"--even if you're not religious, the purity of her voice combined with her spirituality is incredibly moving. Roger Ebert once said that being in the presence of Dolly Parton was like being in a room with a faith healer; I can't imagine it could be any more radiant than being with Chenoweth. (I saw her during the SF tryout of "Wicked" which she did wearing a neck brace--and she was so good I barely noticed it.)

Posted by: Dback | Apr 12, 2011 12:36:35 AM

8. Did anyone else also see Dolly Parton was there (look fabulous I might add). Love her:

Posted by: Steve Allen | Apr 12, 2011 2:23:03 AM