Watch: Immigration Inequality Sends Salon's Glenn Greenwald to Brazil

Greenwald

MSNBC's Thomas Roberts continues his coverage of the need for immigration legislation and the Uniting American Families Act with an interview with Salon's Glenn Greenwald, who was forced to go live in Brazil because he can't live in the U.S. with his partner.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Admittedly, being "forced" to live in Brazil hardly sounds like a fate worse than death* - and yet, the injustice surrounding this is pretty astounding.

(*For the record, I was raised in a Navy family and lived in many foreign countries as a child, and have a very different definition of "home" than a lot of people, including my own partner. FWIW.)

Posted by: Red Seven | Apr 20, 2011 1:49:50 PM

2. Um, I could think of much worse places to "be forced to go live with my partner" than Brasil. Like, oh say, Utah. Mississippi. Texas. Jamaica. Russia. Poland. Saudi Arabia. You know, really BAD places. Brasil's no paradise, but I'd rather Brasil than Iraq.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 20, 2011 2:47:58 PM

3. i could never live in Brazil. Too much temptation.

Posted by: Hank | Apr 20, 2011 2:55:48 PM

4. Bottom line is - you shouldn't have to leave your own country because of discrimination.

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Apr 20, 2011 3:09:41 PM

5. I didn't know Glenn was gay. I thought that we could be together someday :'(

Ok I just read what I wrote and it sounds kind of creepy... I totally meant that in a non creepy way....

Posted by: Ana | Apr 20, 2011 3:10:49 PM

6. Once you leave the touristy areas Brazil is a crime ridden, poor, and dangerous country. It is beautiful though.

Glenn Greenwald is by far one of smartest and strongest advocates we have not just for LGBT rights, but for greater progressive causes and values.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Apr 20, 2011 3:23:08 PM

7. It is sad that any nation would force couple to choose to either be seperated or leave. Especially a nation that once boasted of it freedoms. Shame! Shame! Shame!

Posted by: Reverend Joseph Shore-Goss | Apr 20, 2011 3:30:05 PM

8. My friend Dennis Cooper has been forced to live in Paris because the U.S. won't give his Russian-born lover Yury so much as a travel VISA.

Dennis is of course a major literary star in France so it's not exactly purgatory, but the isolation from the rest of his family back in the U.S. is wearying.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 20, 2011 3:37:55 PM

9. I'm the American half of a binational couple living in Rio. We chose to live here.

It has always saddened me that, should we want to move to the states, The land of the free doesn't allow me to offer my partner the same immigration equality as my adopted country - which was ruled by a military dictatorship until the 1980's.

"Brasil: where the American Dream moved to after losing the Reagan Revolution"

Posted by: Some Yank in Rio | Apr 20, 2011 3:42:52 PM

10. @Some Yank in Rio:

Fair Warning: I full intend to steal your closing quote; and having been to Brasil, I heartily concur.

Posted by: Dego | Apr 20, 2011 4:19:48 PM

11. Glenn Greenwald is my hero. He's not just an amazing GLBT advocate, he's smart and progressive and more importantly aggressive when dealing with the entrenched political structures in this country. He's even called out Obama for his continued use of the Bush era privacy invasion laws. I agree 100% with everything that he says.

Posted by: Erich | Apr 20, 2011 6:40:20 PM

12. Remember, the Feds are deporting the foreign halves of legally married gay and lesbian couples. This is breathtakingly evil. The more straight Americans who know this, the closer we will get to a repeal of DOMA (because so many people have no idea what the law is right now).

Posted by: Grant | Apr 20, 2011 8:09:02 PM