Basketball | Gay Slurs | Kobe Bryant | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Kobe Bryant Calls Ref a 'F**king Fag' After Technical Foul

Kobe

Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant was seen calling referee Bennie Adams a "f**king fag" during Tuesday night's game after he was handed his fourth foul.

Watch (at about :30 in), AFTER THE JUMP..

UPDATE. HRC via TMZ: "What a disgrace for Kobe Bryant to use such horribly offensive and distasteful language, especially when millions of people are watching. Hopefully Mr. Bryant will recognize that as a person with such fame and influence, the use of such language not only offends millions of LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender] people around the world, but also perpetuates a culture of discrimination and hate that all of us, most notably Mr. Bryant, should be working to eradicate."

(via last angry fan)

Comments

1. i love your website. but seriously? you posted this? this is grasping at straws. he was angry. he's stressed, and he said it to himself. not to the ref. he looks angry. you look like petty thought police.

Posted by: jc | Apr 13, 2011 9:10:56 AM

2. I expect a bunch of hate responses towards Kobe. I think that this will likely blow up in his face and he'll eventually either be forced to apologize or the discussion will be out there in NBA circles, but personally, I'm not going to knock him too much for saying something a little inappropriate in the heat of the moment when he's angry. I know quite a few gays who have used the same type of language when they are angry, so..........it doesn't excuse it, but I'm not going to crucify him for it either.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 13, 2011 9:12:49 AM

3. Never cared for Kobe Bryant anyway.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 13, 2011 9:15:24 AM

4. Francis and JC, you are a prime examples of why our struggle continues to be so difficult. Your ignorance and complacency does as much damage to gay rights as Bryant's bigoted, foul language. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Your own internalized homophobia is sickening.

Posted by: gaylib | Apr 13, 2011 9:18:16 AM

5. JC. In the heat if the moment do you think Kobe and NBA would be OK if anyone called him the n word?

Posted by: Tim | Apr 13, 2011 9:22:30 AM

6. Internalized homophobia my ass. I think it's wrong and I don't excuse his language, but again, something done in the heat of battle when you're angry and have no control of your emotions is much different than just simply using an anti-gay slur because you're truly homophobic. It's not "internalized homophobia" to fully understand the context of situations.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 13, 2011 9:23:47 AM

7. At least he didn't say, "I'm gonna rape you!!"

Posted by: johnny5 | Apr 13, 2011 9:25:04 AM

8. you're an idiot francis.

Posted by: gaylib | Apr 13, 2011 9:25:05 AM

9. Again, what would happen if he "in the heat of the moment" shouted a racial slur? What if a white player called the ref a racial slur? There is absolutely no excuse for this. NONE.

Posted by: AJ | Apr 13, 2011 9:27:50 AM

10. I guess it shows progress when people act "shocked" when an athlete calls someone a fag under his breath. I'm kinda NOT shocked. Heck I'm sure I'd hear it in the hallway of any high school in the USA on a daily basis.

Posted by: tom a | Apr 13, 2011 9:29:28 AM

11. I wonder how he feels when people refer to him as a "rapist"?

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Apr 13, 2011 9:29:45 AM

12. JC - the anger and stress are prefectly understandable, even commendable (he is a competitor). The words he chose to say to himself are not understandable and not even acceptable. Talk about "thought police" and "grasping at straws" all you want. But the truth is that the moveement from homo-slurs as the go to expression of anger is necessary. It will be slow, it will often be picky - but it has to be consistent and vigilant. In the language of our school systems - there has to be Zero Tolerance.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 13, 2011 9:31:30 AM

13. So what else is new? Bryant always gets away with....whatever! Nobody's going to take him to task for this use of "faggot" because he's an NBA superstar. Next....

Posted by: Rob | Apr 13, 2011 9:32:22 AM

14. If a white player used a racial slur in the heat of the moment in anger, I would probably have the same reaction. It's unacceptable, it's not excusable, but it's also a different context than just saying "I hate n*ggers". When you are not in control of yourself, you're mad, you feel slighted, you sometimes say things that aren't so nice. Does that make me an idiot? No, because I'm not excusing his language whatsoever. I'm simply saying, different contexts, different reactions.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 13, 2011 9:34:00 AM

15. Funny how you only see Gaylib's comments on posts about black men. Just sayin

As for Kobe, he should know better

Posted by: crispy | Apr 13, 2011 9:42:20 AM

16. Anyway, before I get called stupid anymore, I expect him to be taken to task, and I expect this to blow up in his face, either because the video makes the rounds on the internet, or because a gay watchdog group puts the pressure on and stands up and speaks out. I DO NOT THINK what he said is acceptable, I think it's offensive, I think the usage of anti-gay slurs in every day vocabulary is wrong and that it needs to be stamped out as pejorative insults. It's not acceptable, and he needs to be held accountable.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 13, 2011 9:43:31 AM

17. He feels "He they couldn't even bring themselevs to charge me with rape. Why? I'M KOBE BRYANT!"

So we're surprised when a rapist is also a homophobe?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 13, 2011 9:45:25 AM

18. This discussion needs to be held at the NBA level. But will it?

Posted by: Russell | Apr 13, 2011 9:47:05 AM

19. The man is a purported role model for youth. As one of the previous commenters pointed out, racial slurs would be out of bounds here. So, too, should homophobic comments. He needs to apologize.

Posted by: candideinnc | Apr 13, 2011 9:50:57 AM

20. The discussion needs to be held at more than just the NBA level, but sports culture in general. Sports culture is still as homophobic as ever if not more so. But will it? Not unless action is taken to make it happen. But this incident and then incident with the homophobia on YOUTUBE to the hand holding Raptors players definitely shows that there is a problem needed to be addressed. Kobe, given the fact he's one of the most popular players, doing this could definitely spur discussion of what is and isn't acceptable vocabulary.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 13, 2011 9:53:33 AM

21. Kobe Bryant is a disgusting person. The LA Lakers are a sexist and homophobic organization. Don't give him a pass because he's black.

Posted by: brian | Apr 13, 2011 9:53:52 AM

22. Francis and JC, you're not idiots, just desensitized and misguided. I don't even THINK the word n*gger, even in the heat of the moment, because I know what it means and my heart is in a different place. Through the hard work of many people over the years, society has slowly been obliterating that word, and what it stands for. It simply is not tolerated in society today, and rightfully so.

F*ggot is the same thing as n*gger. So NO, it is NOT acceptable to mouth this word, even in the so-called "heat of the moment".

And let's put this in perspective. We are not even talking about the "heat of the moment" hundreds of young men are experiencing every day getting shot at and blown up on the front lines of Afghanistan. No this tool is getting heated up in a friggin BALL GAME, for which he gets paid millions. The heat of Kobe's moments pale in comparison and in no way comes close to justifying him even mouthing those words.

Posted by: Ian | Apr 13, 2011 9:57:10 AM

23. Borrrrrrrrrrring!

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 13, 2011 10:02:44 AM

24. Francis - you start by clearly defending Kobe's slur as acceptable as a "heat of the moment" thing, but then as you thought about it, go on to condemn it as not acceptable. This reads like you are internally conflicted, and not sure how you feel. You unwittingly verbalized this internal conflict in your posts and it's interesting to read, as it's an internal dialog many people probably have on this subject. Clearly you are thinking about this and you'll eventually work it out I'm sure. Playing both sides of that fence leads to complacency.

Posted by: Ian | Apr 13, 2011 10:10:24 AM

25. I agree, Ian. I've never, and I mean literally never, said the n-word or f-word in anger. Not once. Because I think it's wrong, and like you, my heart isn't in that place. I'm not even desensitized because whenever I do hear someone using this language, it gives me chills. I think it's bad. I'm not in any way giving Kobe cover. I'm just saying that people do say bad things when they're angry and out of control. So my attitude towards those situations is different than if he would have just bluntly said "you're a fa**ot". It's just different contexts.

As for the comparisons to the men at war, I agree that obviously what he does for a living pales in comparison and he's loaded in money, so he has little to complain about. However, he is the star of his team, playing in a big game and this is what he does for a living, so I can understand he being frustrated because he has to be taken out of the game for what he feels is a bad call. Athletes have the right to get angry too without being called spoiled.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 13, 2011 10:12:10 AM