Army Sends Official Notice That 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' is Repealed: READ

Here it is, via Ed O'Keefe at the Washington Post, the notice sent to soldiers around the world that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is over:

Today marks the end of “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.” The law is repealed. From this day forward, gay and lesbian Soldiers may serve in our Army with the dignity and respect they deserve. Our rules, regulations and politics reflect the repeal guidance issued by the Department of Defense and will apply uniformly without regard to sexual orientation, which is a personal and private matter.

For over 236 years, the U.S. Army has been an extraordinary force for good in the world. Our Soldiers are the most agile, adaptable and capable warriors in history — and we are ready for this change...

Accordingly, we expect all personnel to follow our Values by implementing the repeal fully, fairly and in accordance with policy guidance. It is the duty of all personnel to treat each other with dignity and respect, while maintaining good order and discipline throughout our ranks. Doing so, will help the U.S. Army remain the Strength of the Nation.

Comments

1. Woohoo!

Posted by: Bastian | Sep 19, 2011 5:16:53 PM

2. And now the courts have to declare it unconstitutional -- over the Obama administration's objections -- and we're all set.

Posted by: ohplease | Sep 19, 2011 5:35:44 PM

3. As a Veteran, I have to tell ya: This brought a tear to my eye. Wow. I can hardly believe it.

Posted by: bozemanmontana | Sep 19, 2011 5:40:20 PM

4. A law created by President Clinton and the Republicans, and repealed by President Obama and the Democrats.

President Obama 2012!

Vote otherwise at your own peril!

Posted by: Brains | Sep 19, 2011 5:53:54 PM

5. 20 years too late for me but that doesn't mar the event. This is monumental and I'm happy to live to see this day come.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Sep 19, 2011 5:54:34 PM

6. This is a proud time in the gay movement. So proud that DADT is now history. Hooray!

Posted by: OS2Guy | Sep 19, 2011 5:55:52 PM

7. I found this hilarious.

"Today marks the end of “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.” The law is repealed. From this day forward, gay and lesbian Soldiers may serve in our Army with the dignity and respect they deserve."

So we deserve it tomorrow, but we didn't deserve it last week?

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Sep 19, 2011 6:23:18 PM

8. Posted by: Ben in Oakland...understand what you sayin...and yes, you can -pick it apart-....it is what it is..it sucks..that in the land of "Liberty & Justice for All"...this was/is/was an Issue to begin with....its perpleexing,sad...and makes you realize u dont have any real control over much...as a gay American..its seems like a slow crawl to Justice & equality..when to me, its a No brainer..?

Posted by: Gay American | Sep 19, 2011 6:28:28 PM

9. Um, no Ben. It means that we didn't get the respect we deserved yesterday, but we will get it as of tomorrow.

I think I might just get myself a framed copy of that letter for my den.

Posted by: BABH | Sep 19, 2011 7:00:55 PM

10. I'm at the age I would think, "not in my lifetime" but here we are. Now give me the right to marry the dude I love.

But wait, if the election next year give the republicans control of both houses and the Presidency it will all come back. Trust me on this.

Posted by: macmantoo | Sep 19, 2011 7:26:23 PM

11. Beautiful letter.

Posted by: Damien | Sep 19, 2011 7:32:18 PM

12. @ Ben in Oakland,

From the letter: "From this day forward, gay and lesbian Soldiers may serve in our Army with the dignity and respect they deserve."

The meaning of this sentence seems pretty clear: Before now, gay and lesbian soldiers were not allowed to serve with the dignity and respect they deserve.

I don't think anyone would read that sentence and think that it meant that before now, gay and lesbian soldiers didn't deserve dignity and respect. English is our common language on this blog, right? ¿En español? En français?

Posted by: Artie | Sep 19, 2011 8:10:59 PM

13. YES, it's a major achievement, but it's brass asshats like McHugh who demanded that repeal no longer means equality IN the military. One era of military discrimination ends and another begins when out gay and lesbian service members will be OFFICIALLY treated like second class citizens without the same protections against harassment and discrimination that nongay blacks, women, Hispanics, ad infinitum get.

And, NO, all those inexcusable articles still claiming that ALL partner benefits are banned by DOMA are simply not true which anyone actually paying adequate attention would know that the Pentagon itself has admitted. Years of lawsuits over those facts coming to a courtroom you'll, no doubt, hear about soon.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell@LeonardMatlovich.com | Sep 19, 2011 8:17:02 PM

14. I am prouder to be an American today.

Posted by: ophu | Sep 19, 2011 9:38:31 PM

15. Excellent! Thank you Mr. Obama! And thank you to all the activists who held his feet to the fire!

Posted by: David R. | Sep 19, 2011 10:04:53 PM

16. As an aside:
    I've seen a coupla articles mentioning DADT "finally ending after 17 yrs", but, as far as I can tell, LGBT's have been barred from openly serving in the military since WW1, which started in 1914?
    SO, I hope that tomorrow's news headlines take the TOTAL timeline into account!
    My dates could be a bit off- I'm still doing research...

Posted by: MoJo | Sep 19, 2011 10:38:27 PM

17. More info…

Posted by: MoJo | Sep 19, 2011 10:40:30 PM

18. Like so many, I cannot believe that I am alive to see this day. This is big folks. And you have to give credit where credit is due. This is another one of many historical moments that will continue to be part of Obama's first term. We MUST make sure he has a second, because we run the risk of of an insane person running the asylum and all of it falling down around us like a house of cards.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 19, 2011 10:44:34 PM

19. Thank you, President Obama, for doing this. Even though it took a while, you kept your promise. In addition to keeping this promise, you have announced that your administration will no longer defend DOMA in the courts AND you have now promised to veto any bill by Congress that doesn't include letting the Bush tax cuts expire. You now will have my vote in 2012.

Posted by: Carl | Sep 20, 2011 12:13:06 AM

20. Congrats! Of course, I hate to break it to everybody, but we still aren't treated fairly when it comes to military benefits and families. Go USA?

Posted by: X | Sep 20, 2011 1:09:31 AM

21. I guess that swarm of military personnel will be quitting starting tomorrow that the GOP was talking about.

There will also be a large conversion and recruitment of straight to try the gay as foretold by the GOP.

Popcorn anyone?

Posted by: Dale | Sep 20, 2011 3:05:09 AM

22. Part of me says congratulations, the other part of me thinks crap....more soliders for illegal wars, occupations and "collateral damage" :/

Posted by: evileuropean | Sep 20, 2011 4:50:29 AM

23. Oh my gosh! Gays in the armed forces? The USA won't be safe anymore. I am moving to Afghanistan, where I know I will be secure.

Posted by: David Jarrett | Sep 20, 2011 5:11:28 PM