News | Space

Unexplained Lights Streak Across Sky in Southwest: VIDEO

Meteor

Any of our readers in the Southwest see this just before 7 pm last night?

Reuters reports:

Dozens of people reported observing a dazzling, bright light, or lights, streaking across the sky Wednesday night over Arizona and Southern California in what authorities said were likely meteor sightings.

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office fielded more than a dozen such calls on Wednesday, and sheriff's deputies at Deer Valley Airport in north Phoenix reported a sighting themselves, an agency spokesman, Lieutenant Justin Griffin, said. The deputies described it as greenish light moving across the sky from north to south, he told Reuters...

...The Federal Aviation Administration began receiving reports from the public at about 7:30 p.m. local time, with sightings from Los Angeles and the desert resort of Palm Springs more than 100 miles to the east, as well as from Phoenix, according to an official at the FAA's Los Angeles operations office.

Then again, NASA's UARS Satellite is getting ready to crash to Earth.

Watch a news report from ABC15 in Phoenix, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It's two different phenomenon occurring at once 1)Lightening coming out of a storm in dry climates, where all of the rain water evaporates before it reaches the ground. 2) The lightening also exited the side (or the top) of the cloud, instead of the bottom. Both are normal and occur daily on Earth.

/Professional Meteorologist

Posted by: Eric | Sep 15, 2011 9:35:25 AM

2. NASA said most likely meteors/ smallish asteroid breaking up in the atmosphere

Posted by: say what | Sep 15, 2011 10:18:04 AM

3. Big Light In Sky terrifies natives in Sector R. And there's hamburger all over the highway in Mysteic Conecticut!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 15, 2011 10:18:22 AM

4. Kind of confusing title: SoCal / Arizona is the SOUTHWEST. LA/Suburbs/SoCal is often referred to as the SOUTHLAND.

VA,GA,NC,SC,AL,MS,FL is the southeast.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 15, 2011 10:22:38 AM

5. Ehrenstein! Did you graduate from Communist Martyrs High School too? Or did you go to Morse Science High?

"Knowledge for the pupil...the people," said Ukaipah Heap, the MSH founder. "Give them a light and they'll follow it anywhere."

Posted by: Peorgie Tirebiter | Sep 15, 2011 10:49:52 AM

6. The end is nigh! Head for the hills!

Posted by: Craig in Portland | Sep 15, 2011 11:34:27 AM

7. **Classified**
    From: Senate Liaison Office
    To: Director, White Sands
    Damn it, the Area-51 technicians promised the USAF Brass and the DARPA Select Committee that the new Plasma-drive would not be visible when they transferred the new sub-orbital attack fighter prototype from Palmdale CA to the White Sands testing grounds. Direct NASA to spin the usual cover story
    **Classified**

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Sep 15, 2011 11:42:00 AM

8. I saw the meteor...or whatever it was. I happened to be driving south on the 101 between San Luis Obisbo and Santa Barbara last night. It was so big and bright I even said out loud "Oh, Wow!" and I was alone in the car. It was a long streak, low on the horizon. The light definitely had a greenish tint to it. I almost thought for a bit that maybe it was just a random bottle rocket someone had shot off because of the color. It was amazing to see though.

Posted by: txstevo | Sep 15, 2011 12:48:58 PM

9. Damn. I can't believe I missed it. I bet I was in line at Chipotle Mexican Grill when it happened around 7. I live in Vegas.

Posted by: JAMES | Sep 15, 2011 5:41:45 PM

10. What I saw was a line of lights horizontal across the sky. They were as big and bright as the street lights on freeway entrances (golden or yellow colored) They flew in a straight line. They flew in line sideways and then disappeared. I was driving west on a two lane desert road. It was the strangest thing I ever saw. I pulled over and called a friend and she said she saw it too from the front yard.

Posted by: book anooni | Aug 16, 2012 10:28:52 AM