BigGayDeal.com

Eddie Murphy Out as Oscar Host

As I mentioned was a possibility, Eddie Murphy has stepped down as Oscar host following the exit of Brett Ratner:

Murphy_ratnerAcademy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Tom Sherak announced that Eddie Murphy has withdrawn as host of the 84th Academy Awards. "I appreciate how Eddie feels about losing his creative partner, Brett Ratner, and we all wish him well," said Sherak.

Commented Murphy, "First and foremost I want to say that I completely understand and support each party's decision with regard to a change of producers for this year's Academy Awards ceremony. I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I'm sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job."

Previously...
Eddie Murphy Seen as Possible Casualty of Ratner Oscar Departure [tr]
Brett Ratner Out as Oscar Producer Following Anti-Gay Slur [tr]

Comments

1. Excellent.

Now it's possible I'd watch.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Nov 9, 2011 2:02:34 PM

2. No great loss. (Or any loss at all!)

Posted by: Bob | Nov 9, 2011 2:05:09 PM

3. PAGING NEIL PATRICK HARRIS! MR. HARRIS, PLEASE COME TO THE PODIUM!

Posted by: Smartypants | Nov 9, 2011 2:16:34 PM

4. THIS IS A JOB FOR NPH!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 9, 2011 2:17:11 PM

5. Yeah - looks like I'll be watching the Oscars afterall. NPH a great choice. Brilliant, actually.

Posted by: Tim | Nov 9, 2011 2:29:54 PM

6. I'm glad Eddie Murphy is out. At the height of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, he told hateful jokes about people who had HIV/AIDS. He did this during a time when he probably thought (like most people) that gay and bisexual men were the primary or, perhaps, only victims of HIV/AIDS.

Posted by: elg/edwin | Nov 9, 2011 2:33:52 PM

7. NPH as host and every presenter gay: a pair of Scientologists, Jodie Foster, Kevin Spacey, "Grinto", Ian McKellan, etc.

Works for me.

Posted by: Esther Blodgett | Nov 9, 2011 2:38:15 PM

8. Aww, what a loss...NOT! Now maybe they can get someone decent to host instead of this clown who hasn't been relevant since the 80's.

Posted by: Who cares? | Nov 9, 2011 2:48:15 PM

9. Yes. Great news.

Not Neil Patrick Harris he is not that interesting. Billy Crystal & Whoopi Goldberg.

Posted by: Michael Singh | Nov 9, 2011 2:53:51 PM

10. The last time Whoopi Goldberg hosted the Oscars she did a great job. Those costume changes were awesome.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Nov 9, 2011 3:05:42 PM

11. PUHHHLease NPH! He will be wonderful! Let's start a campaign! Make Neil Patrick Harris Oscar Host!

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 9, 2011 3:23:10 PM

12. Chelsea Handler would do a better job...

Posted by: kristian | Nov 9, 2011 3:25:43 PM

13. I would still love to see Gervais do it..

Posted by: Joel V | Nov 9, 2011 3:55:29 PM

14. NPH

Posted by: TT | Nov 9, 2011 4:45:02 PM

15. It's obvious they want someone closeted and black to host...how about Oprah Winfry or Queen Latifa?
    They already tried the closeted white guy with James Franco and that was a big fail but they can always go with an older closeted white guy like Anderson Cooper?
    If they REALLY wanted to reach a younger and more diverse audience they would get the most famous woman in the world to do it with costumes at every turn: Lady Gaga. :)
    I used to love the Academy Awards but haven't watched it for years due to boring and crappy hosts: get Lady Gaga and I'll watch. :)

Posted by: SFShawn | Nov 9, 2011 4:57:54 PM

16. Am I the only one who loved it when Jon Stewart hosted? He was as hilarious as ever.

NPH is always a good choice to host anything, IMO, so I certainly wouldn't complain if he were picked.

He's just that big Harold and Kumar's comedy (not to mention the mega-hit, if poorly received by critics, Smurfs movie), so it seems like a timely pick, as well, if the Oscar's went that route.

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 9, 2011 5:14:35 PM

17. Has Murphy seen Mickey Rourke's plastic surgeon?

Posted by: Matt | Nov 9, 2011 5:35:41 PM

18. Yay! The Oscars is no place for homophobes. Who'd friggin watch?

Posted by: SCollingsworth | Nov 9, 2011 5:58:24 PM

19. Eddie who?

Posted by: Jack | Nov 9, 2011 6:25:27 PM

20. Well, at least he won't have to worry about any of us staring at his butt...

Posted by: mike | Nov 9, 2011 7:57:09 PM

21. I think NPH is very talented, but don't like or want him as Oscar host just yet. If they want the classic funny with appeal to older viewers, go Whoopi, they want to play it more contemporary, Latifah would be good, too. Personally, I loved Hugh Jackman and even though he already said no, I'd ask again. His musical numbers were funny (except for the overdone Baz Luhrman number with Beyonce) and the dancing was awesome. And both he and the audience looked like they were having fun. I like when they have actual movie stars as hosts.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Nov 9, 2011 7:57:40 PM

22. I think Steve Martin was the best host ever. I'd watch if they brought him back.

Posted by: Laura | Nov 9, 2011 8:15:01 PM

23. Now Murphy and his creative partner can go out and create more movies that no one wants to see...

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 9, 2011 9:10:52 PM

24. murphy and his movies are not funny. he should stick what he is good at picking transexual prostitutes and claim he didn't know it was a guy.

Posted by: walter | Nov 9, 2011 9:18:07 PM

25. Eddie Murphy helped lots of gay kids commit suicide in the 1980s. He helped delay my own coming-out by years. Check out recordings of his "comedy" performances for that era.

As someone else said: Karma.

Posted by: jeff r | Nov 10, 2011 12:06:09 AM