GOP 'Family Values' Mayor Greg Davis of Southaven, MS Forced Out of Closet by Receipts from Gay Sex Shop

Greg Davis, the mayor of Southaven, Mississippi, "who ran unsuccessfully for Congress in 2008 on a conservative, family-values platform" according to the Commercial Appeal, has been forced out of the closet over receipts uncovered in a criminal investigation over misused expenses. The receipts included "thousands of dollars worth of liquor, expensive dinners at a local restaurant and a visit to an adult store catering to gay men":

G_davisAs details emerged Thursday from the receipts, provided by state auditors to Southaven aldermen and subsequently obtained by The Commercial Appeal, Davis conceded publicly for the first time in an interview with The CA that he is gay and has struggled to keep the issue from affecting his public life as mayor of Mississippi's third-largest city.

"At this point in my life and in my career, while I have tried to maintain separation between my personal and public life, it is obvious that this can no longer remain the case," Davis said Thursday afternoon at his Southaven home. "While I have performed my job as mayor, in my opinion, as a very conservative, progressive individual -- and still continue to be a very conservative individual -- I think that it is important that I discuss the struggles I have had over the last few years when I came to the realization that I am gay."

Davis doesn't recall what he bought at the Priape sex shop:

The receipts were provided to state auditors in hopes of decreasing the approximately $170,000 they have demanded Davis repay the city for improper charges to both his city-issued and personal credit cards. Auditors asked city aldermen, who approved the expenses, to review the receipts before making a decision on accepting them to reduce Davis' payments...

...a review by The CA shows that Davis spent thousands of dollars at the Mesquite Chop House in Southaven and thousands more at local liquor stores. Also included in the receipts is a charge for $67 at Priape, a store in Toronto that is described by its website as "Canada's premiere gay lifestyle store and sex shop."

Davis said he didn't remember what he bought at the store, which he visited on a recruitment trip with Mid-South warehouse developers.

Photo: Davis running for Congress in 2008.

Comments

1. They have tons of underwear there, but it also is in the Village so that would have been hard to play innocent then.

Posted by: Mark | Dec 16, 2011 9:19:17 AM

2. Oh my goodness, these stories NEVER get old.

Posted by: Jerry | Dec 16, 2011 9:26:10 AM

3. Of course I feel for the guy & the struggle that he must be in...

but let's take a step back; he's lying to his wife (likely), cheating on his taxes, & trying to pacify the people that will now vilify him regardless by claiming to be a conservative/progressive...

Buddy, get some counseling. You're lying is now so hard-wired that you don't stand a chance w/o some help.

Conservative/progressive; is that like, "jumbo-shrimp"?

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Dec 16, 2011 9:27:02 AM

4. It takes a lot of balls or stupidity to misappropriate government funds like that.

He snitched on his damn self.

Posted by: new-new | Dec 16, 2011 9:27:13 AM

5. So, let's see:

He gave a statement admitting, "I am gay."

And he will now "take time off through the holidays starting today to spend time with his family."

That household's "holiday" is gonna be such a sh!t show!

Posted by: redball | Dec 16, 2011 9:28:27 AM

6. Haha, that is the 2nd best wingnut's-crying-daughter picture ever!

Posted by: endo | Dec 16, 2011 9:28:41 AM

7. Tragic that he had to destroy his life this way because of his fear of himself. I wonder--is he married to a woman? Is that his family in the photo or is that a rent-a-family crew? Did he damage their lives too by his deceit? Dollars-to-doughnuts he's closely tied with some fundie church.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Dec 16, 2011 9:29:56 AM

8. Thanks for the shout out to Toronto! Other than that, I always find this to be a tragic story. I made different choices when I was a kid. The fundies always like to say that being gay is a choice, which we all know is a bold-faced lie. What is a choice however is how you will live your life. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I don't think this distinction is made often enough. I chose NOT to date girls and pretend that I was interested in them, using them as a Bachmann-style beard. I chose NOT to get married, have children and end up like this man. What WAS a choice was to live my life as a happy, openly gay man. The happy part took some time (after being disowned by my family at 18), but eventually it all fell into place.

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 16, 2011 9:37:51 AM

9. What a shocker! OMG, another "conservative" closeted gay GOPer politican lying to himself, his family and his constituents. Was he born this way? I mean, did he choose to lie and make life miserable for so many or was he born to lie his way through this charade?? It just goes to prove how miserable a place the self-imposed closet can be for so many, especially rightwing conservatives. I guess it'll be a real Mary Christmas at the Greg Davis household this year.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Dec 16, 2011 9:39:11 AM

10. You just can't make this stuff up.

Posted by: chasmader | Dec 16, 2011 9:39:46 AM

11. OMGWTFLOL! He was on DWTS?!?!

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 16, 2011 9:40:26 AM

12. Yep, that's his wife and three daughters. He served his wife with divorce papers at a church dayschool here in Southaven (while she was there with her class during a field trip for childhood development)last December. He's a sorry SOB and I hope the Feds nail his ass to the wall for what he has done to this community.

Posted by: Janie | Dec 16, 2011 9:41:28 AM

13. Right-wing media currently "processing" story...

Headline out by noon: "Homosexual Mayor Abuses Town's Tax Dollars on Gay Sex Paraphernalia"

Posted by: KP | Dec 16, 2011 9:47:49 AM

14. Brought down by $67 worth of dildos and lube.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Dec 16, 2011 9:52:10 AM

15. "as a very conservative, progressive individual" LOL

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Dec 16, 2011 9:56:12 AM

16. Didn't remember what he bought at a gay sex shop? He was there as a part of a tour of warehouses? "I wonder what THIS is?! I know, I'll buy it on my county credit card and take it home and see if anyone else can figure it out, 'cause of course, I'm straight." Right.

Posted by: Craig | Dec 16, 2011 9:56:29 AM

17. i never cease to not get pissed off at these jerks popping up like whack-a-moles... and he considers himself a "progressive, conservative individual." wtf, you stupid d-bag.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Dec 16, 2011 9:58:39 AM

18. @ENDO - HaHa! I know the photo you are referring to - Frothy's family pic after he lost the Senate election! That one was priceless!

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 16, 2011 10:05:58 AM

19. Another one bites the dust.

Wonder what the ratio of "family values" to "closeted self-loathing gay" we'd come up with if all conservative candidates were forced to take lie detector tests.

Posted by: sparks | Dec 16, 2011 10:06:42 AM

20. Another F***t working against gays.

Posted by: RiccoRicco | Dec 16, 2011 10:07:53 AM

21. What I do not like is that this corrupt politician is gay---which puts being gay in a bad light. We have enough prejudice against us.

Posted by: Professor Locs | Dec 16, 2011 10:12:07 AM

22. It says something about society that an unspecified $67.00 charge to a shop that "caters to gay men" - which means it's also full of products a straight guy could use with his wife - is what blows the whistle and ends the career, when the thousands of dollars on booze and restaurants doesn't.

And that it's the sex shop that will be the news, not the hypocrisy of a career based on lies and "family values" and anti-gay legislation when he is himself gay.

On the other had, takes down these assholes, especially when they shoot their own feet.

Posted by: Lymis | Dec 16, 2011 10:14:55 AM

23. I just feel sorry for this man. He has ruined his life because his brand of Christianity brain-washed him into thinking his innermost feelings were evil. Now he has ruined his life and the lives of his wife and kids.

I automatically suspect any "straight" man who spends any time at all blathering about the evils of homosexuality.

Posted by: homer | Dec 16, 2011 10:22:32 AM

24. But gay people CAN get married - to people of the opposite sex. How's that workin' out for ya, Michelle?

Posted by: TJ | Dec 16, 2011 10:25:38 AM

25. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The guy lived high on the hog using his position of mayor to run up over $190K in personal, undocumented expenses. Clearly, he was a fat piggie enjoying his own personal trough.

But, now, we'll have the right winger, evan-talabangilists screaming about the gays who are ruining society. The Xtianists will demand even more discrimination against gays.

The mayor turns out to be one of the many self-hating, family-value hypocrites who surpressed his true nature and became a persecutor instead. If society had allowed him to be himself, chances are he wouldn't have been such a self-loathing, deceptive hypocrite.

Instead the Xtianists who run Mississippi created a closeted hypocrite, who learned that deception and lies were the only way he could live his life. Both sexually and as to his fiduciary responsibilities.

Posted by: Continuum | Dec 16, 2011 10:31:46 AM