Comments

1. Strepsi says

Can we not call this a “Hazing Death”, but a brutal beating? This young man was BEATEN TO DEATH. May he rest in peace.

2. say what says

in answer to the title

Sadly, I wouldn’t be surprised if anti-gay played a huge part in it

R.I.P.

3. TJ says

I agree with STREPSI. The word hazing doesn’t do justice to the horrible physical assaults experienced in these situations. The word hazing gives a legitimacy to the actions that they do not have. The people who did this murdered Champion.

4. Hugh says

There was a segment on ’20/20′ or ’60 minutes’ a while ago specifically on this – marching band hazing rituals, but it focused more on historically black universities. It was really brutal; from watching that I actually believe it when they say his sexuality had nothing to do with it.

5. jamal49 says

@HUGH All the more reason to at least consider that this “hazing” was more brutal for Mr. Champion because he was gay.

6. jack says

When this “hazing” death was first reported, i wondered about the over the top excessive violence and brutality inflicted on this young man. Homophobia may indeed explain it. I hope authorities are able to bring the criminals who murdered this young man to justice.

7. jimcord says

What makes no sense about this is that they “hazed” the drum major, the top of the pecking order in his organization!, you would haze him no more that you would the quarterback, the star pitcher or the leading scorer of a basketball team. Something else was at play here. From a fraternity guys point of view, his hazing makes no sense to me, there was another reason. And to be clear……..I see no reason at all for any type of hazing against anyone for any reason.

8. says

It’s unfortunate that even after interviewing so many people who were present that night, there are still no definitive answers around this poor man’s death and his parents are left to speculate. One can only hope that someone’s conscious will come in to play and someone will tell the truth so his parents can have some peace.