Anderson Cooper | Glee | Janet Jackson | Music | Music Video | News | Whitney Houston

BigGayDeal.com

Janet Jackson Discusses Whitney Houston's Death, Music; 'Glee' Offers Tribute: VIDEOS

Amber

Last night's Glee offered a touching tribute to Whitney Houston in Amber Riley's cover of "I Will Always Love You" which was accompanied by a title card that read “Whitney Houston 1963-2012. We will always love you.”

In related news, Anderson Cooper offered a few previews of his upcoming daytime interview with Janet Jackson in which she talks about her relationship with Whitney Houston and Houston's death.

Watch all the clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Janet

Janet:

Comments

1. very good article,maybe it should help me

Posted by: essaychampions.com review | Feb 15, 2012 12:21:30 PM

2. It seems that the song had been included before Whitney's death. In which case, it's amazingly prescient. Somehow that makes it even more moving; the song is a classic that is a part of our lives.

And Amber knocks it out of the park. What a great cover. Unlike many singers, she doesn't oversing it. (I mean you, Christina.)

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 15, 2012 12:27:01 PM

3. I really don't understand why that song makes people immediately jump to a dead 80s singer. It was written by Dolly Parton and has been recorded by a hundred other people.

Posted by: endo | Feb 15, 2012 12:37:04 PM

4. Anderson's interview was just AWFUL! For a man who has done so much hard-hitting journalism and has lived such an interesting life, he asks the most predictable and stupid questions. Every time I watch him interview someone interesting (Janet Jackson! She's easily one of the most-fascinating people on the planet!) I feel like he's wasting their time and his opportunity. He needs to take some lessons from Charlie Rose.

Posted by: MT | Feb 15, 2012 12:42:25 PM

5. Do not be obtuse; of course anyone would think of Whitney, who made the song famous.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Feb 15, 2012 12:44:53 PM

6. Do not be dumb. The song was one of the best selling singles of 1974 and a #1 country hit by Dolly Parton - it was already famous.

Posted by: endo | Feb 15, 2012 12:52:13 PM

7. @ ENDO

Whitney made the song famous and an international best seller in the 1990s. As many hits as Whitney had that was her biggest.

Janet looks amazing!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Feb 15, 2012 12:52:54 PM

8. Wow. Endo. Let's just hope your cold, harsh snarkiness is attributable to a bad day and not a reflection of your personality. Yes, it was written by Dolly (who is making tons of $$ off of it at the moment), but Whitney's version was featured in a hit movie and has sold more copies than the other "99 people" combined, including Dolly, and Whitney's version won the Grammy for Record of the Year which no other artist has done with the song.

Posted by: Chadd | Feb 15, 2012 12:53:26 PM

9. "Janet Jackson! She's easily one of the most-fascinating people on the planet!"

Wow, that is some hyperbole. Her career's in the shitter and she's reduced to hawking a weight-loss program

Posted by: Paulie | Feb 15, 2012 12:54:09 PM

10. I realize this is not the point of this post but... I believe that was one of Amber Riley's best performances. I also think that red dress was one of her best looks too.

And to add, I think Dolly made the song famous to one generation and Whitney made it famous for another... then cemented it in and built a wall around it.

Posted by: Bryant | Feb 15, 2012 1:02:28 PM

11. I don't watch him and will not watch him until he uses his platform to help others that are similarly situated. It is shameful for him to pry others about their lives and opinions yet keep his a secret.

Posted by: Mickey | Feb 15, 2012 1:02:56 PM

12. Because she sang it the best Endo.

Posted by: Lance | Feb 15, 2012 1:06:46 PM

13. Sounds like what people were saying about Whitney before she passed Paulie. Janet's career has been nothing less than astounding!

Posted by: Lance | Feb 15, 2012 1:17:25 PM

14. There is DEFINITELY room in my world for two very different versions of this song, and that's exactly what you get from Dolly and Whitney. Both versions are extraordinary.

While I acknowledge that Dolly wrote it and sang it simply and beautifully in her amazing way, I must also acknowledge that Whitney translated it into an exquisite chart-topping ballad in two totally other genres and gave the song MILLIONS of new fans - people who would have otherwise never known the song existed.

Dolly wrote far more songs than she'll ever record in her lifetime. Relatively speaking, she has only made a handful of them famous herself. I imagine most folks don't realize what a supremely prolific songwriter she is. So I can see why a fan would be a little defensive, but come on, you should also know how THRILLED Dolly is to have her songs recognized the way this one is with Whitney. That's one small part of what makes her remarkable.

Posted by: sparks | Feb 15, 2012 1:18:32 PM

15. I like Dolly's better... I just think the song resonates more when it's not a power ballad. Fortunately in this world we can have both versions.

Posted by: MIke | Feb 15, 2012 1:26:04 PM

16. Oh, and yes Janet looks AMAZING. Having seen one of her shows back in August, I'll attest she also sounds amazing and she can still throw down with the dancers.

She isn't putting the kind of effort Madonna puts towards reinventing herself, but you'd have to be an absolute moron to think either of their careers are in the shitter. They're still making music, performing, selling out concert venues, and still making more money than most other acts out there.

Posted by: sparks | Feb 15, 2012 1:29:18 PM

17. @Paulie; You have to admit Janet undoubtedly has a lot of amazing stories to tell. She seems like a good person in spite of everything, and I'm sure she can offer a unique perspective on a lot of things.

Posted by: MT | Feb 15, 2012 1:36:11 PM

18. I like how we speak about Whitney, Janet, Dolly, Amber, Anderson as if we know these people.

Posted by: stingo | Feb 15, 2012 1:44:07 PM

19. To: ENDO - RE:
    " I really don't understand why that song makes people immediately jump to a dead 80s singer. It was written by Dolly Parton and has been recorded by a hundred other people."

Most of the world doesn't listen to Country but in 1974 it made Dolly the first artist ever to earn a number one record twice with the same song as a singer, and three times as a writer.

Jump to 1992, when the film The Bodyguard came out, the original soundtrack album became the biggest selling soundtrack of all time, and remains so by selling over 42 million copies.

Now, as for the song alone, Houston's version of "I Will Always Love You" sold 12 million units worldwide, and her version is no doubt superior with her voice, and world-wide success. Still, Dolly is crying all the way to the bank I'm sure. I'll take Houston's version any day because Dolly's voice is just ordinary but that describes country as a whole anyway =)

Posted by: Joseph | Feb 15, 2012 1:49:18 PM

20. What I have not read is that the three biggest stars of the 80's - Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Whitney - were all beneficiaries of MTV, which was brand new.

For those too young to know, MTV completely dominated and revolutionized the music industry at that time. Unlike today, it was all music videos all the time. Each new video was a sensation, be it "Thriller" or "Like a Virgin."

Each of these performers was uniquely suited to this new medium. Michael was a fantastic dancer, Madonna was a great provocateur, and Whitney was beautiful and photogenic.

In their own ways, each cast a longer shadow than performers before or, in most cases, since. That's part of the reason that Michael's and Whitney's deaths have caused such a great outpouring of emotion.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 15, 2012 1:59:50 PM

21. @JOSEPH

To be fair, I don't think of Dolly's voice as "just ordinary" by any stretch of the imagination.

Posted by: sparks | Feb 15, 2012 2:05:20 PM

22. Already sick of the non-stop Whitney verbal vomit.

Posted by: nope | Feb 15, 2012 2:07:05 PM

23. drama above aside ;-) I have not followed Glee in a while...

so Amber and the blondie have a story line now?

I also did not watch the AC interview with JJ, because everything I have seen from this talk show is just a joke... I totally agree that he sucks at this... I mean, the questions he asked Madonna, even Cynthia McFadden did better...

also have to agree that JJ looks GORGEOUS on the stills above (and I am not even a fan)... whatever u r doing girl, keep at it..... god bless u all!

Posted by: V-8 | Feb 15, 2012 2:12:01 PM

24. Of course the Glee episode was made weeks ago. So it wasn't a tribute, just happenstance. And the tribute "card" appeared a half hour later at the end of the show.

No need to make stuff up.

Posted by: Bingo | Feb 15, 2012 2:56:23 PM