Gay Marriage | Music | Music Video | News | NOM | Starbucks

NOM Boycott of Starbucks Sputters as Coffee Giant Sees Groundswell of Support from Gays and Allies: VIDEO

Starbucks

Following last weeks announcement of a boycott of Starbucks by the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) over its support for marriage equality, a response petition sprang up online to thank the company.

That petition at this posting has almost a quarter of a million (228,151) signatures. NOM's has 18,826.

Jeremy Hooper writes:

So basically, for the National Organization for Marriage, this is turning into the direct action equivalent of taking a drink from a Venti cup before carefully securing the lid, with the potential for stinging embarrassment just as great.

GoodrichAnother thing the NOM campaign does not have is a theme song, thanks to the Goodriches, who write, on their YouTube page:

After hearing about some backlash that Starbucks has been getting for coming out with their support of same sex marriage, my wife Cory Goodrich, dusted off an old song she wrote about Starbucks, while sleep deprived from having a new baby and drinking lots of Starbucks coffee. She recorded it, and I decided to do a video. We hope to spread the spirit of equality and dignity that Starbucks openly supports.

I also support boycotting and standing up for what you believe in. It is the only American right left practically. But I believe that companies like Starbucks, Google, Boeing, Microsoft and Nike should be commended and supported for their efforts for equal rights for all, not just the ones you like. "All men are created equal," leaves no one out.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Well, THAT boycott didn't work out too well. But, no worries, I have a better idea for NOM -- boycott air. See, air is there for everyone to breathe equally, gay, straight, whatever. Air is pro-equality. NOM members should show their outrage by refusing to breathe until air is restricted only to straight people. That'll show us! Go for it, Maggie! THIS boycott would get my full support!

Posted by: kit | Mar 26, 2012 9:59:57 AM

2. I'm starting to think organizations like NOM and "One Million Moms" were created by gay activists with a long-range goal of stimulating support for pro-gay causes and increasing empathy for companies and individuals targeted for discrimination over their pro-gay initiatives.

Genius, really. :P

Posted by: sparks | Mar 26, 2012 10:25:13 AM

3. "...Genius Really..."

So lets get this straight, Sparks:

You come here, spout a load of crap about how you're 'beginning to think' and then you cap it with: 'genuis really'...

...implying your ludicrous suggestion that your "beginning to think" ...is completely true????

You sir, are a moron. And a troll. And it doesnt take a 'genius' to see that

Posted by: Mic | Mar 26, 2012 11:27:57 AM

4. Starbucks is grossly over-rated and over-priced.

I wish Turkish-style coffee was more common and easily available.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 26, 2012 11:32:20 AM

5. I think it is important to support companies who support us. I signed the "thank you" card to Starbucks and also sent my own email. Starbucks acknowledged it by saying that they have a long standing commitment to diversity. I have to admit to not being a big time Starbucks customer, but that will change immediately.
    NOM may win some small battles, but it is losing the war on equality.

Posted by: rick | Mar 26, 2012 11:38:29 AM

6. I wrote Brian Brown and NOM a letter explaining that I was a struggling small business owner and asking what I could do to get one of their business boosting boycotts. I noted that clearly it wasn't enough to simply be for "gay marriage" since Microsoft, Google and hundreds more companies have done that without earning one of the coveted NOM boycotts. I told them that I support marriage equality and freedom of reproductive choice and think that ALL religions should stay out of peoples' bedrooms, vaginas and assholes. I even asked for suggestions for things I could support. I thought that would CERTAINLY get me on the list but alas no word back from them yet.

I'm not giving up hope!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 26, 2012 12:09:21 PM

7. MIC, you are the moron for attacking someone without understanding their post.

Posted by: Locutus of Board | Mar 26, 2012 1:12:39 PM

8. I support Starbucks!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Mar 26, 2012 1:16:37 PM

9. People seem to think that NOM has organized this boycott to get Starbucks to change its position. This is done to collect the names and email addresses of people who support their cause. And they will send out appeals for funds and collect 10s of thousands of dollars from this.

Posted by: Charlie | Mar 26, 2012 3:31:55 PM

10. @Mic: not only do you have no sense of humor but you sound like you drink way too much. And I don't mean Starbucks coffee.

Posted by: Dannyeastvillage | Mar 26, 2012 4:05:40 PM

11. @Charlie: don't count on it!

Posted by: Dannyeastvillage | Mar 26, 2012 4:06:45 PM

12. @Ratbastard: well as usual you've come here to take a dump by mad
    King a posting that is only tangentially related to the topic under discussion. What would you do with yourself if you couldn't come here to take a krap?

Posted by: Dannyeastvillage | Mar 26, 2012 4:10:07 PM

13. @Dannyeastvillage,

Where in the village are you located,Danny? I could come by and meet you sometime, maybe have a cup of coffee at a Starbucks.

Seriously, I simply dislike Starbucks coffee and Starbucks,Inc. in general.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 26, 2012 4:32:54 PM

14. ratbastard, still waiting for you to share an inspiring video with your 100% accepting family including your "jock brothers" who support their gay brother. it could be remarkably beneficial to the greater community. much more beneficial than anonymously coming online to say you don't like starbucks coffee.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 26, 2012 4:45:08 PM

15. lol @ MIC

Posted by: sparks | Mar 27, 2012 8:27:23 AM

16. I just returned from one of their Atlantic City stores. I bought a venti hot chocolate, almonds, brownies, candy bars, and ALL of their Madeleines (84 packages). My total came to $191.52.

I don't usually shop at Starbucks because I'm not a fan of coffee, but I will be dropping in a lot more in the future, as well as doing my best to patronize any and all other companies that NOM dislikes.

Very best wishes to you all.

Posted by: Voice of Reason | Mar 27, 2012 5:58:21 PM