Towleroad Guide to the Tube #1080

JANELLE AND BRIAN GEHLING: Proud bigots from Minnesota.

PROP 8 UNCONSTITUTIONAL: The highlight reel.

TOP MODEL MELTDOWN: British model bites back.

DELTA: Penguins fly First Class.

For recent Guides to the Tube, click HERE.

Comments

1. The Gehlings seemed a bit embarrassed by their views- I hope they are not breeding or they wil probably end up with kids like that bratty model. The penguins on the plane are adorable.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 9, 2012 5:31:25 PM

2. What's wrong with her eyes? She has other things she needs to worry about.

Posted by: Jeremy | Mar 9, 2012 5:55:08 PM

3. Hi, we're the Gehlings. We don't have any knowledge of the world beyond our Minnesota family farms, but we know everything about what is right for every other family in the United States. You should listen to us because we've been married for five whole months... we think. Oh hell, we really can't remember because, you know, it's been like five months.

Posted by: Troy | Mar 9, 2012 6:28:11 PM

4. the ANTM thing is a total spoiler, as this has not aired yet.... Towleroad, u should've checked that first, thanks for the spoiler...

Posted by: V-8 | Mar 9, 2012 6:47:59 PM

5. The Gehlings. Cute but ohhhhh so unworldly.

Posted by: Pdxblueyesey | Mar 9, 2012 7:07:43 PM

6. "I believe that marriage is supposed to reflect Christ and his church." -- Janelle Gehling

That would be an odd reflection if Christ were never married.

Posted by: B | Mar 9, 2012 7:13:08 PM

7. @B: I believe she is referring to the catholic idea that the church is christ's "bride".

In any case, I'm disappointed that we can't leave comments on their you tube page. I flagged the video as hate speech against a vulnerable community though.

The most idiotic part of the whole thing is that they talk about how badly they wanted to have the experience of marriage and then they want to go and deny that to someone else who might also want it JUST as badly.

I don't think this view represents the opinion of many catholics, who believe the pope and people like these are out of step with the realities of life. It's too bad that there aren't people putting together videos as catholics for marriage equality. Where are the "I believe in god and think discrimination against gays and lesbians is stupid" videos?

Posted by: mike128 | Mar 9, 2012 7:36:50 PM

8. I wonder if they saw any homosexual behavior among their farm animals or family pets, or did they always turn their heads away?

Posted by: trees | Mar 9, 2012 8:29:47 PM

9. Those bigots are so sweet.

Posted by: ger | Mar 9, 2012 8:39:52 PM

10. Can't leave comments on their page but I reported the hate speech as well.

Don't ya just love Minnesotans telling how "the world should be ordered ".

And their new book is "Bigotry for Dummies".

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 9, 2012 8:49:27 PM

11. I'm delighted that these two simple people found one another & that they were fortunate they are both straight.

But here's the thing, folks, this is all about Civil, not religious law. You're free to do & believe whatever you like.

Why do straight, white, Christian guys always think their opinion matters to others as much as it does themselves.

Do us all a favor, stay back on that farm, boy.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Mar 10, 2012 12:02:55 AM

12. My comment was denied by you tube. It was negative, but not profane, as follows; the only difference between this couple and an Islamic couple is a burga, keffiyeh, and a desert instead of a farm.

Posted by: Carter | Mar 10, 2012 12:58:57 AM

13. TROY, you're post cracked me up - wonderful. If only they could read it, I wish they could. Seems like they're sensitive enough to be mortified right down to the potato celler, where they belong, for a while anyway.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 10, 2012 1:04:52 AM

14. of course they're against LGBT couples marrying. they're literally the most charisma-deficient couple i've seen in my life.

they want marriage to be boring. as boring as their own lives are.

still, their video was wonderful as it illustrates the core belief of the Anti-Equality Crowd - we're against it because we don't like it and we don't like it because we were told not to like it.

well, isn't that special.....

p.s. send 'em a message on facebook. they're on there.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 10, 2012 1:37:17 AM

15. I found bemusement in her admission of wanting to find her own identity and then did so by assuming the lifestyle of her parents rather than going out and truly forging her own way. She has assumed a subservient role to her husband and has failed to realize how patriarchal her man-made religion is. Ironic, indeed. They both talk like cult members. Religion truly is the opiate of the masses.

Posted by: CarlottaVonFunkenhowzer | Mar 10, 2012 1:48:10 AM

16. That couple might be the most boring, close-minded humans in existence today. Oh, wait. They're members of a warren of like-minded imbeciles. Must be a real hoot up there in Minnesota. ugh.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 10, 2012 2:37:13 AM

17. The Gehlings are TAME compared to this man, Mark Hayes, also speaking in the series....

Posted by: NVAgBoi | Mar 10, 2012 7:04:06 AM

18. I have a feeling nobody reads this, but I'll say this anyway.

Does anyone really think calling people names, dismissing their faith, just generally being hateful advances your argument? I'll agree the young lady from Minnesota isn't terrbily articulate, but she and her husband hold a reasoned, well thought out point of view based on what they believe marriage is. Note: I am certain they DO NOT believe marriage is a civil issue but exclusively a religious one. You may disagree with them, but, from their point of view, marriage is a unique and holy union. I'm sure they would have made a similar video on the issue of divorce or cohabitation, and is the argument for equality so weak that it can't stand up to respectful disagreement? If so, then perhaps it needs to be reexamined.

Personally, I think there is a solid argument that can approach the issue on civil grounds while acknowledging and in fact celebrating the right of religious persons to strive for an ideal. Let's hope they have a long, happy life together, raise a great family, and leave the world a better place for their example. I don't think that would exclude other examples that could be different but great, too. And, in the end, they seem like they could acknowledge that fact when repsented with it rather than name calling and condescension.

Posted by: Bryan | Mar 10, 2012 7:57:51 AM

19. "I've never met any gay people, but I've heard they're depraved, and I'm somewhat worried about what it means if I occasionally admire another man, so I have to make it clear I'm no homo."

Posted by: InscrutableTed | Mar 10, 2012 9:53:49 AM

20. Oh Bryan, that's the point, their religion is trumping civil law. This is where the anger stems from, people are sick of ignorant, bigoted homophobes (even the nice, inarticulate ones) who use the bible to encroach on civil law. You put any other minority in the same position and there is no debate. Hetero-supremacy is not cute, unique or worthy of celebration.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Mar 10, 2012 9:58:40 AM

21. what the gehlings advocate is making marriage a prerequisite of having children. children are integral to their definition of marriage and family. they even assume same-sex couples will have children.

the strongest argument the "traditional marriage" set have is: protect the children. if that is really their goal they should put all their energy into preventing all unmarried from having children and outlawing divorce for parents. that is not happening so protecting children is not their motivation.

Posted by: eric | Mar 10, 2012 10:31:32 AM

22. Bryan, I hear people say what you've said a lot - but here's the thing: you're assuming that at no point in their lives have the common sense, logical and factual realities of this issue been presented in a calm manner..

it's highly unlikely. what we're seeing here is a couple not-unlike those evolution-denying Creationists whose specific beliefs can only be maintained as long as they willfully ignore every factual and empirically-provable piece of scientific information and data.

it's not as if these people have any legit arguments, they have NONE - it's all conservative-religious buzz-speak. they have An Opinion that makes no factual sense. challenge that opinion, even in a calm and rational way, and you'll be met with "well, we agree to disagree, we have our opinion and we believe in jeebus"

it's called willful ignorance. and it PLAGUES this country.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 10, 2012 12:36:17 PM

23. I couldn't stomach the entire Gehling video. Minnesota is by American standards a rather liberal state but then again it has also given Michelle Bachmann. Her district was once represented by Vin Weber who was once perceived as a Presidential prospect and a leading light of the GOP. Vin Weber is certainly a conservative, a solid Reagan Republican, but that is just it. Vin Weber has a hard time today with the GOP. It's been taken over by these Christian fundamentals whose idea of government isn't based on The Constitution but on Biblical principles. Pretty darn scary, if you ask me.

Posted by: Charles Lemos | Mar 10, 2012 1:02:22 PM