ENDA | News | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Senate Hears from First-Ever Transgender Witness as Kylar Broadus Testifies on ENDA: VIDEO

Broadus

As Andrew reported last week, Kylar Broadus, founder of the Trans People of Color Coalition, became the first transgender witness to testify before the Senate today when he made remarks at a hearing earlier today before the Health, Education, Labor & Pensions Committee on ENDA.

Broadus testified on his experience of discrimination as a trans person.

Said Broadus (thanks to Think Progress for the transcript and clip):

When I used female restrooms, police would accost me. I would have to strip and then they still told me, “Sir, get out of the bathroom,” when I would use the ladies’ room. It’s just humiliating and dehumanizing to say the least.[...]

Prior also to the physical transition, I was working in the financial industry, which is actually a high-paying industry. But again, when I shifted or transitioned, that’s when all the trouble began. And it’s still emotional to me, because it impacted me emotionally — I suffer from post-traumatic stress as a result of the harassment that I encountered in the workplace from my employer.[...]

To be unemployed is very devastating, also demeaning and demoralizing. And then the recovery time — there is no limit on it. I still have not financially recovered. I’m underemployed. When I do talks, I tell people I’m not employable. I was lucky to be where I am and I’m happy to be where I am, but I’m one of the fortunate people that is employed. There are many more people like me that are not employed as a result of just being who they are — being good workers, but being transgender or transsexual.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. the "washrooms" thing is interesting - in many places in Europe, and indeed in the province of Quebec in Canada, washrooms are not merely gender-neutral but MIXED.

as in, you will see ladies walking into the stalls while you're at the urinal.

kudos to the strength and resilience of Kylar Broadus, and to the men and women who have transitioned or are transitioning, who are facing a world still mired with unjustified prejudice toward them.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 12, 2012 3:35:06 PM

2. Way to go Kylar! Finally, a reason to speak highly of Missouri (at least my adopted hometown of Columbia).

Posted by: Dustin | Jun 12, 2012 3:46:41 PM

3. Sorry, but saying "I'm not employable" isn't going to create a rush of job offers.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 12, 2012 3:57:41 PM

4. God bless him . . . I hope his testimony does some good. However, I'm skeptical of our elected representatives. If they can't bring jobs back for the millions of binary gender folk who've lost them, what can we expect them to do for "unemployable" Transfolk?

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jun 12, 2012 4:03:04 PM

5. yeah i dont get why the 'not employable' line was something someone would ever say. but i was reading the statement, not watching it, and maybe it somehow translates more sensibly in the actual video?

Posted by: redball | Jun 12, 2012 4:26:15 PM

6. This is a great way of ensuring that ENDA isn't passed for another 30 years. I'm sure this guy is a great person, but he isn't gay. ENDA was intended to deal with one problem and by allowing "trans" activists to turn this into a bathroom bill, we have hurt millions of gay and lesbian workers.

Posted by: Ben | Jun 12, 2012 5:21:35 PM

7. and your refusal to be a real man and stand up for others, "Ben", only hurts transpeople.

So what's your freakin' point? You're right. he's not gay. In case your cowardly gay @ss hasn't noticed, "gay" isnt' the only discriminated against and persecuted minority group in America.

so grow a brain, and grow a pair.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 12, 2012 5:32:13 PM

8. On a side note, Kiwi, I saw your Youtube video "Happiest dog in the world." I've never laughed and cried so much at the same time. That was the most Friggin ADORABLE thing! Also saw the Bert and Ernie video where you were on Canadian TV. You looked great and your Mom is awesome. I'm jealous! I wish my own Mom was so supportive of me in life. Only one question: who is "bauhaus?"

Posted by: Mary | Jun 12, 2012 6:09:39 PM

9. I couldn't find Kiwi's videos, but Bauhaus is a 1980s goth band and a 1920s architecural movement.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 12, 2012 7:40:48 PM

10. Thanks for the info, Paul R! Especially since Kiwi will probably not respond to me.

Posted by: Mary | Jun 12, 2012 7:49:49 PM

11. Some of you queens are just stupid.

Posted by: CHRIS DA CHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Jun 13, 2012 7:21:16 AM

12. It is not a good idea to add 'gender identity' to ENDA. It should only cover 'sexual orientation'. Every successful civil rights bill in history has worked by focusing on specific groups and not lumping in irrelevant and extraneous characteristics.

Posted by: DB | Jun 13, 2012 12:57:16 PM