Film | News

BigGayDeal.com

Documentary About Bigotry Faced by Gay Man After Boyfriend's Death Breaks Kickstarter Fundraising Record: VIDEO

Shane

Back in May I posted a devastating video.

Shane Bitney Crone marked the one-year anniversary of his boyfriend of six years, Tom Bridegroom, with a video called "It could happen to you", chronicling what happened to him after Tom's sudden death.

I've posted it again, AFTER THE JUMP...

After the video went viral, a producing team led by Linda Bloodworth Thomason sought funds on Kickstarter for a documentary about Tom's story.

“The prejudice and bigotry that Shane and Tom experienced was not unlike what I witnessed in 1986 when my mother died of transfused AIDS," said Bloodworth Thomason.

Now, GLAAD reports that fundraising for Bridegroom, An American Love Story, has broken all of Kickstarter's records:

The fundraising website, which has helped to finance more than 7,400 films, confirmed that the indie documentary about marriage equality surpassed all previous fundraising efforts by netting $384,375 in four weeks.

Comments

1. I had pledged to donate, but withdrew it after deciding that I was no longer going to fund any Kickstarters that were organized by people who had not funded any themselves. The platform is mature enough at this point that everyone has had a chance to support something. Coming with hand out, particularly when you have the resources of Thomason, without engaging other projects demonstrates a lack of understanding of the social media element of crowdfunding platforms.

Posted by: Jonathan | Jul 23, 2012 2:00:58 PM

2. Although the story is devastating. Let's be honest, if they weren't "pretty" they wouldn't have brought in as much dough as they did.

Posted by: anonimodesf | Jul 23, 2012 2:44:00 PM

3. I'm really glad they are doing this documentary, the story was truly heartbreaking. But I didn't donate because I don't think that rich lady really needs my $5 if she really wants to produce it.

Posted by: Shawn | Jul 23, 2012 2:50:48 PM

4. I'm surprised to hear that Linda Bloodworth Thomason isn't putting up any money. Is there a chance that she put up a certain amount and then used Kickstarter to round out the rest?

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Jul 23, 2012 3:18:15 PM

5. God Dam his parents, I hope the rot

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jul 23, 2012 3:18:57 PM

6. Wow what cynical and ignorant responses. We should be applauding the visibility created for equal rights and that this woman wants to make this film.

Posted by: Jules Her | Jul 23, 2012 3:53:55 PM

7. I think some clarification is in order about which Kickstarter record was broken (in this case, for Documentaries). Sure, the project hit its funding goal and then some, but I've seen Video Game Kickstarters that raised a few million dollars (there's one for a new console that's at $5 million and still has 16 days left to continue fundraising). I'm glad this is being made, but the language of the article is misleading in regards to Kickstarter.

Posted by: Arrowsmith | Jul 23, 2012 4:23:24 PM

8. I hope this is done well. I really connected to their story after I saw the youtube vid. I lost my boyfriend of over 4 years to the Iraq war and afterwards his family (more-so his parents) did EVERYTHING they could to shut me out of the funeral and to keep me from holding on to anything that was his. We had so many hopes and dreams to experience together and they were all taken away. Shane & Tom's story have given me strength to explore all my unresolved emotions dealing with my own loss. Hopefully, the documentary will reach many others who have gone through a similiar experience. Big thanks to everyone involved for even taking the time to make the doc or contribute money.

Posted by: PJ | Jul 23, 2012 6:11:11 PM

9. I'm happy to be one of the contributors to the project, but I wish that it was being lead by someone other than Linda Bloodworth Thomason.
    This story is so heartbreaking and important that I hope she doesn't muck it up.

Posted by: cadence | Jul 23, 2012 6:43:37 PM

10. I hope his parents are miserable for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Ladislav | Jul 23, 2012 7:42:56 PM

11. I'm curious about how it's considered the best kickstarter, hasn't the Ouya one eclipsed it by a mile?

Posted by: luke | Jul 23, 2012 9:00:02 PM

12. I do support this but the original story leaves itself up to criticism: if the couple had a civil union/domestic partnership (which they can do where they live) the whole issue of assets being stripped away would not have happened. I think the story is heartbreaking and emotional and needs to be told but they have to admit that fact or it will get slammed by critics and conservatives.

Posted by: anthonyj | Jul 24, 2012 12:48:59 AM

13. @AnthonyJ They were / are in their twenties, can you really blame them for not getting all their (limited) legal rights set before he died?

Posted by: Blake | Jul 24, 2012 1:34:19 AM

14. "Let's be honest, if they weren't "pretty" they wouldn't have brought in as much dough as they did. "

Yeah, but let's be REALLY honest...if they were a little prettier they might've brought in more.

Posted by: Diogenes | Jul 24, 2012 2:51:03 AM

15. It's terribly sad and the parents are awful but I don't see what the travesty of justice is...he had as much rights as a non married straight couple in the same situation would have had. That's equality of justice. They had legal options that they didn't act upon as a couple. And since they didn't, the boyfriend was just that. Sure, the parents might have/probably would have acted differently were they straight, but this isn't a new scenario and complaining about lack of options when you had them and didn't take advantage of them seems....just whiny.

Posted by: Donald | Jul 24, 2012 9:33:57 AM

16. @Ladislav

They lost their child , I'm pretty sure they are.

Posted by: aki | Jul 24, 2012 11:06:19 AM

17. @blake - my parents were married at 19. So, yes, I can blame them. I don't understand - if they had the legal right to get married but chose not to, what's the connection to this tragic story and the fight for marriage equality?

Posted by: Tre | Jul 24, 2012 11:10:00 AM

18. Sad story. I hope he can move on with some solace. But, they did have legal rights which unfortunately didn't avail themselves of. And of course the parents are horrendous, evil pr*cks.

Me personally, I would have been far more aggressive in dealing with the parent's demands. But what are you going to do.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 24, 2012 12:07:12 PM

19. Obviously, many people are listening and do understand. Forget his parents or else feel sorry for them. What matters is what you had, have, and how you feel. Time will make things a little less horrible. Time will also see more people understanding our problem. I wish you love.

Posted by: ira | Jul 24, 2012 8:06:50 PM

20. Anyone hear from the parents? Maybe you don't know the whole story. I would hope that if they do this, they get the entire story. Tom's death was sad for MANY people, not just Shane. Did his parents do exactly what they should have? Maybe not. However those of you passing judgement without knowing everything that happened are acting similar. I really hope that all sides of this can get peace, and can make peace with each other. I'm sure that's what Tom would rather have happen then a documentary that is one sided.

Posted by: anon | Apr 8, 2013 8:40:30 PM