Comments

1. My2cents says

Ingenious and very enjoyable, considering there’s so little thematically to deal with. The vocal and orchestral color provides enough variety and keeps you involved.

2. DannyEastVillage says

yeh we know that about you, Rick–and your “traditional masculine values.”

Now since the world seems not to be to your liking, feel free to go and drown yourself.

3. UFFDA says

Well, this needs some work yet, lame in spots, but the middle picked up close to right. The chorus is too slow, too etherial. Put some up tempo guts in it, keep the fun (I burst out laughing at one point) and aim for the bleachers.

This song is totally worth it’s fame. I put it on rerun and get all the housework done in no time. Badmouthing this song is just stupid.

4. Homo Genius says

I dont get this song at all. Its not that good. And to be honest I have never heard it in real life. Only online as an internet meme which totally escapes me.

5. says

I’ve been watching the various versions of this song all summer and enjoying most of them. I wasn’t sure the US Diving Team version could be beat but this did it–yahoo! So much fun and such talented young people. I loved this. Thanks for posting!

6. Kevin says

It’s the violins. They drive the original and this version of the song. It’s undeniable – you’re dragged in, willing or not. The power of music. And I like the key change in the last “So call me maybe”

7. Henry Holland says

“I, like everyone—whether they want to admit it or not—have the guilty pleasure of enjoying it.”

Nonsense. The original is nothing but a cut n’ paste of really tired cliches and even great orchestrators like Berlioz, Strauss, Ravel or Schreker couldn’t change that.

Little Kiwi’s imitations of Rick are really sad.

8. Gary-Lowell says

I loved this and agree it could use a bit of polish in parts, but I’d love to see and buy a professional recording. I especially love the transition to the second half, where it goes from pseudo-serious to just plain FUN. As I joked on YouTube… this is so powerful, it knocked some of the wall photos askew! ;o)

9. bendskier says

I’m sure I’m not the only one to think:

This is the coolest room full of white geeky musical nerds I have ever seen!

And god bless them for that… love it! And I especially love the “non white” conductor, could we not have a nicer analogy at the time? :) loved it!