Comments

1. Joey says

Am I the only one that likes Modern Family but hates Cam? He is so over the top annoying. And their relationship sucks. The the straight couples at least show love for each other. These two are just shallow and competitive.

2. pantsy says

As much as I hate to join the Legions of Crankypants who troll these pages and complain about every little thing… I’m also a fan of the show but not of the Cam character. Many of TV’s portrayals of gay men are the equivalent of Uncle Tom, Stepin Fetchit, and the like. One day, they will be disdained for what they represented. For now, we’ll take the crumbs, the crumby parodies, because it better than being invisible.

3. adamblast says

Let’s see: there are now three sitcoms with gay leading characters, and — surprise! — every one of them is a shallow nelly queen for the Repubs to laugh at. That’s network TV for ya.

4. GregV says

@Ryan: i assume he’s talking about:
    ABC’s Modern Family,
    NBC’s The New Normal, and
    CBS’s Partners.
    I love Modern Family and am quickly growing to enjoy The New Normal. But I will say that I tire of the idea that playing a different orientation is some kind of “challenge” and that gay characters need to be written and played as funny-walking, silly-talking stereotypes.
    Partners starts its pilot with the warn-out meme of that the gay guy listened to Bette Midler as a child so of course he was gay. On zmodern Family, Stonestreet channels his mother when he walks and JTF screams like a little girl at the sight of a bird. On the New Normal, the baby is at first wanted like a fasion accessory when a cute one is seen at Barney’s.

Personally, I’ve never met a kid who listened to Bette Midler, but in fictional TV land, those overused stereotypes of gays are more entrenched than the idea of blacks lazing on the porch eating watermelon or Mexicans taking siestas in sombreros.

5. GregV says

@Ryan: i assume he’s talking about:
    ABC’s Modern Family,
    NBC’s The New Normal, and
    CBS’s Partners.

6. RJP3 says

As for the New Normal — I was afraid the nelly pretensious Dad was going to be Just Jack 2.0 — but a bit more depth.

Yes that character and Cam are stereotypes — just like the bars of Wilton Manors, The Castro and PTown are full of self imposed steryotypical behavior.

It is a bit dated however …. where is the sterotype of the 40something still wearing cammo cargo shorts with his tank top :)

7. Fah Gott says

Those two off the Modern Family? Like every smug queen i ever met in USA with a boring, tedious, compartmentalised life. Enjoy it. Loving the comments from GregV who is clearly a complete knob.