Anderson Cooper | Andy Cohen | News | Star Jones

Anderson Cooper Takes Down Star Jones, 'Of All People': VIDEOS

AndyCooperStar

Anderson Cooper invited fellow gay television personality Andy Cohen to play co-host on his daytime talk show today. And the fellas had plenty to talk about, including how Cooper is feeling now that he has officially come out.

Though Cooper doesn't necessarily feel any more free or particularly liberated since coming out, Cooper did mention that he was annoyed — well, his mother was annoyed, and then told him — about former View co-host Star Jones claiming he came out to boost said talk show's ratings.

"I will say and I actually haven't mentioned this, the only thing that did kind of annoy me and actually it annoyed my mom who brought it up to me, Star Jones of all people," he said, before getting appropriately pointed: "I haven't thought about Star Jones in I don't know how long. I was unaware she was even on TV still ... but she apparently shows up on a morning show."

"Out of the blue Star Jones ... said this was a ratings ploy by me to boost ratings." This couldn't be further from the truth, he said, noting that the coming out announcement was made while he was on assignment overseas.

More from Mr. C:

If I was wanting to boost ratings, I would have waited to announce it on 'A Very Special Episode' that would have been promo'd for weeks and weeks and there would have been commercials ... 'Anderson's Huge Announcement.'"

As memory serves, in terms of boosting ratings, I seem to recall [Star] hocking her wedding every single day to get free products when she was on 'The View' and I seem to recall her lying about her gastric bypass surgery and making everybody else lie about it as well. So for her to suddenly emerge out of the shadows and suddenly attack me for this, I couldn't believe it.

Later, Andy and Anderson got to chat up the cast of the new Steel Magnolias TV adaptation, which may or may not have been a dream come true for the boys.

Watch that as well as Cooper's Star Jones takedown AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Now that he is out I think we are duty-bound to shout, "Meowwwwwrrr" whenever he reads someone like that.

Posted by: Steve Scarborough | Oct 4, 2012 1:32:44 PM

2. I know many don't like Andy Cohen but I like them both...and love the fact Anderson took down Star!

Posted by: Geoff M | Oct 4, 2012 1:34:42 PM

3. Andy is vile. The worst of the Hollywood Gays. Produces crap TV... and seems like a smug elitist prig -- that Anderson is friends with him does not say much for Anderson.

Posted by: rjp3 | Oct 4, 2012 1:37:15 PM

4. Oh the shade lol, the shade, the shade, THE SHADE.

Posted by: Shaunie | Oct 4, 2012 1:39:48 PM

5. Gawd, they are both soooooo boring.

Posted by: CGD | Oct 4, 2012 1:53:17 PM

6. As for Anderson --- what you taught young people was to hide in the closet UNTIL you were successful.

Not impressed with either of these privilaged yahoos --- and he 100 percent came out because he could not have his talkshow be a success while hiding in the closet with the door half open.....

two bitchy queens is what I see --- "I did not mean to talk about this" ... then says he invited her on the show.

Posted by: rjp3 | Oct 4, 2012 2:13:28 PM

7. RJP3 - Give it a rest. He owes you nothing. People come out when THEY want to come out, not when YOU want them to come out.

Posted by: MATHMAJOR | Oct 4, 2012 2:27:52 PM

8. BTW - why is having a succesful talk show dependent on coming out? Rosie had a very succesful talk show and dhe didn't publicly come out until well after it went off the air. You sound like the bitchy queen.

Posted by: MATHMAJOR | Oct 4, 2012 2:29:43 PM

9. Not everyone has to come out of the closet screaming "I'm here, I'm queer, deal with it!"
    Star is a media whore, without a doubt. Don't be a hater of successful gay men or women. That mentality defeats us all, when public opinion seems to be the only thing that matters.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Oct 4, 2012 3:04:20 PM

10. I love Cooper and his sense of humor. I particularly like anyone who takes someone down on their own idiocy and hypocrisy.

@RJP3: Give Cooper at least a partial break. He has spent enough of his career reporting in places where it is not safe to be LGBT (to put it mildly).

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 4, 2012 3:32:03 PM

11. Both Anderson and Andy should be ashamed that it took them so long to recognize the Armadillo cake. "That looks like an autopsy." CLASSIC.

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER I | Oct 4, 2012 3:46:55 PM

12. This 'Star' seems to be shooting her mouth off once again.

Posted by: RichBinPS | Oct 4, 2012 3:48:49 PM

13. Andy is really cute.

I always remember Keith Olbermann playing a video of a football hitting Star Jones on the head-in a loop. Funny.

Star Jones wasn't as bad as that woman of faith, Sherrie Sheppard, right?

Posted by: Monrob | Oct 4, 2012 3:56:44 PM

14. I like Anderson and Andy together. That's the first time there's been two openly gay cohosts for a talk show, that I recall, and I want more.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Oct 4, 2012 4:01:27 PM

15. Star Jones is a joke who still thinks she's relevant. Good for Anderson for calling her out.

Posted by: Zee | Oct 4, 2012 4:16:50 PM

16. if anyone was looking for a p.r. tweek it was Star Jones. Is she still married to a closet case?

Posted by: mikeflower | Oct 4, 2012 5:54:19 PM

17. @DASTIUS KRAZITAUC: I agree!!! Those 2 (gay) guys would really make fabulous daytime talk show hosts together!

Posted by: Alfred | Oct 4, 2012 6:19:03 PM

18. I have respect for Anderson but why does he have to let Andy Cohen share his microphone? Even on daytime television, it really drags Cooper's show into the gutter.

Posted by: keating | Oct 4, 2012 7:10:55 PM

19. I can't STAND that Andy Cohen! He is such a pot-stirrer - just watching this clip proves it. And his facial expressions are ridiculous for a 44 year old man.

Posted by: Diana | Oct 4, 2012 7:33:39 PM

20. Oy I am so in love with AC even more now - you toss that shade right back at Ms Jones. The library is now closed.

Posted by: MaddM@ | Oct 4, 2012 9:55:25 PM

21. You'd think that Star would be nicer to gay guys, considering that she married one.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 5, 2012 12:28:39 AM

22. I love how the media is completely exaggerating this non-story. First off, the only thing that destroyed Star Jones was her own egomaniacal mouth. He made the comments nearly in passing. With some well-reasoned wit he pointed out the flaw in her opinion. This wasn't a nails-out celebrity smackdown with weave-pulling like everyone is making it out to be.

Posted by: Van Buren | Oct 5, 2012 12:32:56 PM

23. Just realized they have the same initials. They should do an ACsquared talk show.

Posted by: Lew | Oct 6, 2012 4:08:20 AM