Dana White | Gay Slurs | News | Sports | UFC

BigGayDeal.com

UFC President Dana White Says His Only Career Regret is Use of Anti-Gay Slur: VIDEO

White

Back in 2009, Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White recorded a vlog directed at mixed martial arts reporter Loretta Hunt which contained misogynistic and anti-gay slurs. White was angry at Hunt for a story she wrote reporting on new restrictions on backstage credentials at the UFC fights.

In the vlog, White referred to one of her sources as a "f**king faggot".

In an interview with Ariel Helwani for Fuel TV's UFC Tonight which aired last night, White talked to Helwani about his career, telling him that the only thing he regrets is his use of that slur because it has followed him ever since:

"You guys have to understand this, but this is the way I am. I have no regrets. The only thing that I regret is in that video blog when I used the F word. That's the only thing throughout the 12 years of running the UFC. The way I came off in that thing, people still think I'm some kind of homophobe, and I'm not. That still bothers me."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Saying you're not homophobic and doing something to demonstrate you're not homophobic are two different things. Do something, Dana!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Oct 3, 2012 10:36:46 AM

2. it keeps me entertained!

Posted by: essays | Oct 3, 2012 11:00:03 AM

3. Marcus (yawn) - as long as he is actively not working to discriminate against gay people (and of that you have not provided any proof) ... that is enough to prove one is not homophobic.

If using the word Fag is homophobic - most gay men I know must be really afraid of gays.

We really need to start focusing on Straight Supremacy and not "homophobia" -- it is like we are still living in the 1970's when we use that word.

Posted by: RJP3 | Oct 3, 2012 11:01:12 AM

4. Give the guy a break. If this were an unforgiveable sin I'd have to write off every member of my own family. Plus he's cute.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 3, 2012 11:09:43 AM

5. That's pretty impressive! It may very well have been staged in order to prove a point, but that sounded pretty damned honest to me. It also came and went rather unceremoniously. Take from it whatever you will, but all in all, when someone says something like that, I'm willing to listen.

Posted by: ESA | Oct 3, 2012 11:17:41 AM

6. C'mon...I use the F-word when I'm angry all the time, and no, I'm not 'homphobic'.

I've always liked MMA and UFC fights, and not just for the obvious reasons a gay guy would like them; I think they're just enjoyable and entertaining to watch. I'm a Neanderthal, I find dudes skillfully fighting each other entertaining, even stress reducing.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 3, 2012 11:29:29 AM

7. I don't use the n word - even when I am very angry. I am not a racist so I don't even THINK about using that word.

If the f word enters into your head when you are angry then you ARE a homo hater.

Posted by: Icebloo | Oct 3, 2012 3:15:19 PM

8. I hate that he used it, but greatly respect him for regretting it (as he should), and greatly appreciate his publicly saying as much.

Reasoned regret is healthy.

Posted by: fossil | Oct 3, 2012 7:18:45 PM

9. Dana: Move on. You said it, you have publically said you regret it. Case closed. A stand up guy like you shouldn't let the PC police bother you.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 4, 2012 3:28:38 AM