Comments

1. says

well said, brother.

as for gaydar, i’ve never understood lgbt people who can’t spot others. family can usually spot family. it has nothing to do with demeanor, either.
    sometimes straight folks ask “you think he’s gay because _____?”, and the answer is no, we think/know they’re gay because they’re gay.

it’s one of those things. if you have to ask, you’ll never know.

2. says

I dunno … I’ve been gay all my life (aren’t we all? LOL!) and I’m usually spot on when it comes to recognizing a gay person but there are the exceptions and those are usually of my own doing. Example: we (husband and me) were involved in a legal case and had to meet with our friend’s two attorneys who are both gay. They brought along a 32YO Law Clerk, tall, lanky good looking guy. I just assumed he was gay because of his association with the predominately gay law firm but lo and behold, he was not gay at all. He was divorced, served in the military (Iraq), and just an all around nice guy.

95% of the time tho’ – especially if I spend a few moments in conversation with the person, my gaydar lights up.

3. jason says

There is no such thing as a homosexual. There are homosexual acts but no homosexuals.

As for Anderson, he’s obviously in self-stereotyping mode now that his show’s been dumped. Perhaps he needs the publicity. Did he really have to go along with Letterman’s crass cliches and moronic, semi-homophobic comments about gaydar?

Go away, Anderson. Oh, and how long did it take you to come out of the closet again? You did it right near the end of your career – how charming and courageous…not.

4. jason says

What also irks me about breeders like Letterman is that they assume that the views of one gay man – like Anderson Cooper – are somehow representative of all gay men. This is a form of crass, semi-homophobic stereotyping that breeders are notorious for. It’s as if they need to define us with the views of one man.

These breeders are not doing it for cute reasons, either. They’re doing it because they fear us. They need to put us into the proverbial box because they want to be able to package us and put us aside as it suits them.

I’m putting out a major alert to all towleroad readers about liberal breeders: they are phonies. They don’t like us. Their attempts to be cute are a form of disguised homophobia. Don’t fall for it.

5. Icebloo says

Anderson is a self absorbed spoiled brat. He comes from one of the richest families in the WORLD. Not just the US. The WORLD.
    He has more money than he can ever spend yet he didn’t have the balls to come out. He had absolutely NO RISK attached to his coming out. NOTHING. If CNN fired him (which they would not) he could have bought the whole company anyway !
    How many other gay people are in such an incredible privileged position ? Think about it. NO RISK at all attached to coming out.

He could have come out years ago and done so much good but instead he wanted the fame and attention of a TV career to go with his billions of dollars so he kept his mouth shut. Then where there it’s too late and nobody cares he comes out. What a weak person.

He represents everything bad in gay people today. TOTALLY self absorbed.

6. Anon says

David, it’s not all that funny. I wish he were blocked from this site.

Icebloo, everyone knew he was gay. He came out. Give him a break.

And for the record, my gaydar sucks. Nearly all my friends are straight and people think that I am. I have no idea why. I tend to attract extremely gay-friendly straight guys. It really throws me off.

7. otherwise a towleroad fan says

I wish Jason were blocked from the site, too. Dissent and disagreement is one thing, but being a nasty jerk just for the sake of being a nasty jerk — or very deliberately and intentionally making trouble by saying something outrageous, for personal entertainment purposes — is another.

If I were Mr. Towle I would block Jason just as a business decision.

8. jason says

Otherwise A Towleroad Fan,

I see that you don’t even have the courage of your convictions to put a name to your post. On that basis, your comment is forgettable as it is functionless.

I’m not a PC, follow-the-herd type. If you don’t like it, tough. I don’t bow and scrape before PC Inc.

9. Ed McAn says

I like Anderson Cooper too. I always knew he was gay. Who cares what anyone thinks? Icebloo, do some research-I don’t think that Gloria is a billionaire; it is an old New York name, no doubt about it, but I think the vast wealth is mostly gone. Gloria made a lot of money on her own with the jeans and perfume, but I don’t know what she inherited. Look at Brooke Astor, an equally old New York family, circa the Vanderbilts-she left around $400 million-a lot, but not billions.

10. UFFDA says

JASON – you’re provoking and thought provoking. I like it. A lot of guys on here just want the same old pablum. You can have any opinion you want and you certainly don’t need to be concerned what other people think about it. But you know that. Keep it up.

11. Gary says

Talk about losing your looks. He should have come out sooner. He’s looking a bit like a boiled egg. Not too long before he takes on his mother classic do “The Double Flip” Sorry his show tanked, but he can appear about as warm as a Sandy puddle in a cold wind.

12. Diogenes Arktos says

I have always loved Cooper and my gaydar went off very quickly on him. I’m surprised he didn’t give Nate Silver’s blog more credence. I’m delightd that my two favorite TV journalists are both gay: Cooper and Maddow.

13. anon says

Ugh, I sit in the cold and dark for two weeks and now someone else is posting as anon. TR has about 50 or so regular posters, so there are more than enough names to go around.

14. Paul R says

Yeah,Jason and Rick and who knows what else. You’re so consistent and ethical about your screen names and your crazy crap. How much attention do you really need?

15. PostPonyPhase says

Anderson is fine with me. Having said that, I’m going to agree with the trolls and say he doesn’t really appeal though. Dry waspishness is refreshing on TV for a minute, just so we know it’s not extinct yet. But, after 10 minutes the martini hits room temp and the people become brittle, and they’re just not very fun, these wasps. He seems like a cool guy though. Agreeable and whatnot.