AP: 27 Dead in Connecticut School Shooting Include 18 Children

School

Horrific. Developing story here....

Our thoughts go out to the families affected by this tragedy.

Comments

1. Terrible.

I wonder if the NRA and the gun lobby will argue that if those children had guns, this never would have happened.

Let's hope our politicians will finally say "Enough is enough" and finally do something. Amend the Second Amendment if we have to. But seriously, enough is enough.

Posted by: John | Dec 14, 2012 1:17:25 PM

2. my heart aches not just for todays' tragedy, but for the gallingly reality that this will not end here.

WHEN are we, as a culture, going to have a collectively HONEST discussion about the gun-violence epidemic, the all-too-easy access to guns, and the gun-culture that continues to shame our supposedly enlightened species?

the "freedom to carry a gun" is not freedom at all. if you defend your right to carry a gun all you're doing is defending your right to not be free, and not feel free. freedom is a culture where people no longer feel a need to act upon their "Second amendment rights"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 14, 2012 1:17:30 PM

3. Jesus. According to the article much of the shooting took place in a kindergarten class.

So how long will it be before NRA types claim that if kindergartners were allowed to carry concealed weapons this wouldn't have happened? I'm not making light of it- that sort of statement is made every time there is a shooting. "If we just had MORE guns this wouldn't have happened!" Every. Damn. Time.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 14, 2012 1:22:53 PM

4. Jesus. According to the article much of the shooting took place in a kindergarten class.

So how long will it be before NRA types claim that if kindergartners were allowed to carry concealed weapons this wouldn't have happened? I'm not making light of it- that sort of statement is made every time there is a shooting. "If we just had MORE guns this wouldn't have happened!" Every. D*mn. Time.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 14, 2012 1:23:17 PM

5. Sadly, I don't even think this will spark a mature conversation about guns.

Posted by: bozemanmontana | Dec 14, 2012 1:27:07 PM

6. Bozeman : Whenever I read about a gaybashing (or alleged gaybashing) there are plenty of posts from gay men advising "Buy a gun and learn how to use it." So....get ready for a debate, everyone, if you want to go THERE. Lots of different views.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 14, 2012 1:31:44 PM

7. the only gay men whose responses to "gaybashing posts" are "get a gun" are closeted cowards who aren't Out who like to talk out of their @sses.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 14, 2012 1:34:29 PM

8. Actually, some of the "get a gun" guys claimed to be "old" gay guys who live in violent neighborhoods.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 14, 2012 1:36:33 PM

9. I cannot fathom the shooting of little children.......this is way beyond shocking .
    I grieve for the unbearable pain and losses of their families.

This is not the first time that US society has been called upon to deal with the absurd Amendment which allows and facilitates such carnage.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 14, 2012 1:38:37 PM

10. I am speechless, beyond my ability to understand. So many lives of children. So so very sad.

Posted by: Matt26 | Dec 14, 2012 1:38:46 PM

11. Like it doesn't happen in Europe, Jack? (Or in UK elementary schools ? Don't forget..)

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 14, 2012 1:40:26 PM

12. (I was thinking of Dunblane in '96)

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 14, 2012 1:43:45 PM

13. Im gay, out and 42. I used to be anti-gun having been a victim of a crime involving a gun. I now have one and while Im not a NRA member, I'm glad I finally have one. The gun doesn't make me want to shoot people. I just know that if someone tries to break into my home, hurt me or my family, I'm better prepared.

Don't think if guns are instantly just gone, these things won't happen. Murderers will just get creative.

Just like abortion, if you intend to do something you will find a means.

Posted by: Stephen | Dec 14, 2012 1:46:05 PM

14. I hurt for these children, their parents and family. This senseless loss of innocent life has got to stop. Firearms have to be restricted, we're paying too high of a price so that some can hunt deer. No more.

Posted by: Gast | Dec 14, 2012 1:52:37 PM

15. The day i make excuses to carry a gun is the day i give up being a real man who lives without fear.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 14, 2012 1:53:36 PM

16. This is horrible. Perhaps tomorrow we can debate the usual politics but right now, watching the news, I am trying to comprehend that 20 children and 8 adults were murdered in an elementary school. It seems unreal and unbelievable. But, it is real and it has happened. God help the families and the children. God help us all.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 14, 2012 1:55:56 PM

17. I know many of you are gay and without children. As a married gay with a son who is the biggest joy in our lives I just don't know how any parent of a child who is murdered goes on without losing their minds. I think I would cry myself to death. We love our son so very much that for me it hurts every day to pack his juice and "sammich" and send him off to school. He hates it when I pick him up when school is over and hug hug hug him "No huggies Daddy!" but I can't resist. He's coming up on six and I have stopped kissing the hell out of him but even that is hard to do.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Dec 14, 2012 1:57:45 PM

18. Littlekiwi is right. How can anyone feel free in a country where so many unstable men (notice it's never women) walk around carrying guns?

The NRA has no defensible position in this case. Stricter laws MUST be passed.

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 14, 2012 1:58:04 PM

19. a culture where people walk around armed is a culture that is failing itself.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 14, 2012 2:00:49 PM

20. I read somewhere that "a gun is ineffective without the will to shoot." Although I don't own a gun (I come from a family with a history of very bad tempers and it wouldn't be wise) I think it should be pointed out that we've had the second amendment for centuries, but that school shootings are a relatively recent phenomenon. I'd focus more on mental health. It's hard to see this gunman as anything but deranged. There's nothing those 18 children could possibly have done to make the gunman angry enough to want to kill them. People who want to commit evil acts will find a way to do them - with our without a gun.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 14, 2012 2:04:15 PM

21. You don't need guns for mass killings at a school; just look up the Osaka and Akihibara massacres, as well as the school knifings in China. While tighter regulations on who can get a gun are warranted, to blame the issue ENTIRELY on gun control is unproductive and leaves out the more important issue of mental health detection and awareness.

Posted by: Endo | Dec 14, 2012 2:09:29 PM

22. Days like this make people wake up from living in their Disney movie. A gun doesn't cause the problem, so what is it? Fear? Hate? I don't know, but I do know that it doesn't come down to a piece of machinery. To think that is like blaming McDonald's for you being fat.

LK - it's great that you can feel like a real man while wearing a red bra and panties. That's your thing, good for you. I'm not judging, just stop being a troll. None of this discussing is about your masculinity.

Posted by: Stephen | Dec 14, 2012 2:15:34 PM

23. mental health detection and gun-control go hand in hand.

ugly truth - it's just too damned easy for people to have access to guns.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 14, 2012 2:16:24 PM

24. Given that, for the time being at least, the ship has sailed on limitations to gun ownership in the US and the NRA owns many of our elected officials outright, I don't blame any gay person who owns a gun for self-protection.

Chances are that even this event will not spark meaningful debate because politicians are too afraid to touch it- gun "rights" are the 3rd rail of politics.

But the Right continues to promote laws that extend where guns can legally be taken, into BARS for god's sake(!) and campuses, based on some heroic action-movie fantasy. If they could they'd legalize the private ownership of bazookas. Only for hunting *wink wink*.

The truth is that guns only have one real purpose, to kill others from a distance, and when someone is carrying a gun in public you are ONLY as safe as that person is sane. And there is plenty of evidence that gun ownership and sanity don't always align. All you really know about someone who swaggers into the local Starbucks with a gun on their hip is they're already a bit "hinky" about guns, value brandishing them above the comfort of others, and you can't know their real intent until they start using it.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 14, 2012 2:20:00 PM

25. yes. i don't need a gun to feel safe, or secure, or confident.

to carry a gun, and defend your doing so, merely shows that you live in fear.

so, kudos.