Bisexual | Clive Davis | I'm Gay | News

BigGayDeal.com

Music Legend Clive Davis Reveals He's Bisexual and Currently Involved with a Man: VIDEO

Davis

Legendary music producer Clive Davis reveals in a new memoir, The Soundtrack of My Life, that he is bisexual, USA Today reports:

Davis, who is twice divorced, remains close to his family, which includes three sons, a daughter and six grandchildren, and to friends, with whom he vacations regularly. Soundtrack's aforementioned personal revelation acknowledges "something that my children and close friends have always known, but that I knew I would need to discuss in a biography": He considers himself bisexual.

"After my second marriage failed, I met a man who was also grounded in music. Having only had loving relationships and sexual intimacy with women, I opened myself up to the possibility that I could have that with a male, and found that I could."

Davis is currently involved with another man (who isn't in show business), "but I never stopped being attracted to women. Bisexuality is misunderstood; the adage is that you're either straight or gay or lying, but that's not my experience. To call me anything other than bisexual would be inaccurate."

Davis also talked about it with Cynthia McFadden on a Nightline segment which aired last night.

Watch the segment, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. it's brave to come out as bisexual! We need more bi men on the spotlight!
    =)

Posted by: George F | Feb 19, 2013 7:41:22 AM

2. I'm glad that Clive smacked down the people who accuse bisexual men of "really being gay".

Posted by: rise | Feb 19, 2013 8:08:04 AM

3. Venal, grabbing, horrid, repulsive little man. I wasn't a great fan of Whitney Houston, but for Davis to go on with his pre-Grammy party while Whitney's dead body was wheeled out of the same hotel over the red carpet...

And then to try to turn that party into a "tribute" to her when the forensics team was still combing her room?

There's only one thing in the world that gets that pr!ck hard and it's money.

Posted by: arrant | Feb 19, 2013 8:28:57 AM

4. Sigh. I appreciate him for making this revelation. Some day, not too far away I hope, we won't have need for simplistic labels. We will just let people BE. In all our complexity.

I am fully and completely gay, but I feel a burden for my bisexual brothers and sisters. It's not fair that they face so much scorn and misunderstanding, just because their reality is politically or socially inconvenient for our movement. We shouldn't deny the existence of a entire body of people, simply because they make our arguments before the Supreme Court more difficult.

Posted by: Lars | Feb 19, 2013 8:43:15 AM

5. Am I wrong in thinking that if Clive was with a woman he wouldn't have hesitated to name her? He's with a man so suddenly this very public figure is concerned with his partner's privacy? I'm not convinced.

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 19, 2013 10:14:49 AM

6. @arrant I was at Clive Davis's Grammy Party. He did cancel it initially, but then he was given permission by the Houston family to carry on with the party. Whitney died on the afternoon of the biggest party in music. The night before the Grammys, so cancelling would have been harder than you or I could have imagined. We were at the Lifetime Achievement luncheon that afternoon when we heard about Whitney and it was up in the air for a while, but in the end I think he made the only decision that he could. I think your grotesque characterization of someone you don't know based on one incident makes you sound ignorant.

Posted by: Jerry | Feb 19, 2013 10:15:58 AM

7. Wow. Good for him. Times are really changing.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 19, 2013 10:23:41 AM

8. ^_^ I love being bisexual. or am i pan? hmmmm. I've dated around all the genders i think. ^_^

Posted by: alexander | Feb 19, 2013 11:30:47 AM

9. @Lars: Bisexuals aren't socially or politically inconvenient to our movement in any way I can see. And any reasonable argument that can be made in the Supreme Court isn't hindered by them.
    In Loving v Virginia, nobody had to prove that people who COULD potentially fall in love with a black or a white partner don't exist, or even that the Lovings themselves were not capable of finding a same-race partner. And a black man or a female turned away from a voting booth for reasons of sex or race doesn't have to prove that they had exhausted all alternatives and that there is no other voting booth in the country they could have traveled to.
    Any reasonable argument we can make to the Supreme Court is based on basic constitutional guarantees of freedoms and fairness that do not discriminate for arbitrary reasons such as gender.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 19, 2013 11:31:46 AM

10. Nice comments (for the most part) thus far. Now waiting for Jason/Rick or Andrew or someone to come in and make some ridiculous comment about bisexuality being fake.

Good for Clive! I'm glad he's come out on his own terms. I'm glad he's come out as bisexual and not said he was gay if he knows he's bisexual. Hopefully Clive sheds some light on and brings awareness to bisexuality because it's very natural, and many don't understand it and are ignorant and there hasn't been enough public education regarding bisexuality. That needs to change.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 19, 2013 12:31:33 PM

11. @Jerry

If you don't understand that it is beyond the pale to go ahead with a party in the same hotel in which your star guest just died, and to have other guests walk the red carpet while the dead body is wheeled out on a gurney, and then to turn your party into an impromptu "memorial" before the deceased is even in the ground. Well...you must be in the music industry.

Posted by: arrant | Feb 19, 2013 12:39:43 PM

12. I believe human sexuality is far more flexible than we humans understand. I think there are people who are in fact straight and others who are just gay, but there are also many shades of grey in between. I wish people would just STOP their preoccupation with labeling people, with demanding "who's side are you on"? I think Clives revelation will help start a new dialogue in this arena.

Posted by: John | Feb 19, 2013 12:40:36 PM

13. What GREGV said. Not only are bi-sexual people commonplace but their reality means that lots of people will, from time to time, leave behind a gay life for a straight one and vice versa and then perhaps stay in whichever category (if we need categories) for the majority of a lifetime. Thus gay people will "become" straight, and straight ones will "become" gay whenever it suits them. All those threatened by this are unnecessarily tilting at windmills because it isn't going to change but only become more visible.

People who find that they have to insist that gay to straight can't happen are driven by the fear that by being exclusively gay they are somehow inauthentic or (even) unnatural. In fact such a segway is uncalled for. Those of us who overwhelmingly prefer men fit right into the complex continuum which dominates the people of the world.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 19, 2013 12:49:34 PM

14. No. Bisexual is not commonplace. The same reason gay is not commonplace. Bisexual is just a minority among another minority. No need to exaggerate the number to make a political point.

Posted by: simon | Feb 19, 2013 12:55:49 PM

15. Who flocking cares?

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 19, 2013 1:57:23 PM

16. You may have red hair, blond hair, black hair, white hair or even grey hair. It is just a genetic variation. The label on a cyanide bottle does mean something, though may not be everything. The substance is cyanide. It may be damp or contain impurities.

Posted by: simon | Feb 19, 2013 2:06:39 PM

17. I suppose we need to dispense with the labels. We are who we are. But, avoid bisexuals. They don't know what they want and you cannot have a stable, secure relationship with one. Their sexual confusion won't permit it.

Posted by: mjnyc | Feb 19, 2013 2:14:19 PM

18. Just like Roy Cohn said in that famous play. It is the person who says "it is just a label" who is hung up on labels. He said: : "I am a heterosexual man who flucks around with guys."

Posted by: simon | Feb 19, 2013 2:14:49 PM

19. The only problem I've ever encountered with bisexuality is that some people believe if a gay man just "tries with a woman" then he might find he's bisexual. Bisexuality is regularly propped up as some kind of evidence of sexual confusion and used to somehow justifying ex-gay therapy and the like. I think that might be the reason some gay men are frustrated by bisexuality. But, once again, the problem boils down not to bisexuals but rather to a bunch of narrow-minded and hateful people who cling to a rigid definition of sexuality. Hopefully our energies can stay targeted at overcoming them instead of creating division between the G and the B.

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 19, 2013 2:44:19 PM

20. @MJNYC: There are gay people who try to convince themselves or others that they are bisexual while attempting failed opposite-sex relationships.
    There are bi people who try to convince themselves they're straight but end up confused about same-sex attractions.
    Then there are bi people who confuse the issue (and maybe lack the education to understand the vocabulary) by mistakenly calling themselves straight when an attractive other-sex person walks by and then gay 5 minutes later when an attractive same-sex person walks by.

But actual, out and proud bisexual people could eadily be the least confused of any group. There is absolutely no reason they wouldn't have a satisfying relationship with a partner of whatever sex and orientation they end up falling in love with.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 19, 2013 2:55:45 PM

21. I never thought this day would come. I know Clive's BF quite well. They've gone to great lengths to keep their relationship a secret, including having separate apartments in the same building. I thought Clive would go to his grave with this secret, not wanting to (in his mind anyway) tarnish his legacy. Wow.

Posted by: Asher | Feb 19, 2013 3:18:49 PM

22. When you have enough money I guess it's finally safe for one to get what they always really wanted. Any man who would "go on with the show" the night one of his stars had drowned in a bathtub in the same hotel where the Grammy's were held, is an expert at denial. Gosh, I'm bisexual is bull, weather he believes it or not. He must have really wanted gay sex bad to have waited so long for it.

Posted by: gb | Feb 19, 2013 4:47:26 PM

23. @Francis: Why would you post that you are waiting for me to make a comment about bisexuality being fake? I volunteer at an LGBT community center and have met some great bisexual folks. One of the groups that holds meetings at the center is BiUnity and they couldn't be nicer. I happen to know that sexuality is complex and varied. Kinsey discovered that about 60 years ago in his extensive research. Don't put words in my mouth just because I don't follow the party line on every issue.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 19, 2013 5:09:08 PM

24. Thousands of gay men of his generation married. His rationale has been well coached -- and in this Obama gay environment anything can pass. Clive's story wouldn't fly in the 20th Century. The pathetic thing now is that gays are seeking honesty and fidelity in marriage. Any gay bisexual partners out there? Good luck...

Posted by: geb | Feb 19, 2013 5:49:55 PM

25. @ARRANT-- everyone was already in town and planning to attend the party. Cancelling it would mean lots of small, lonely groups trying to find a place to go and reservations, and rob them of the chance to mourn and get some of that out of the way so they could put on the Grammys.
    @Asher -- I was thinking the bf was the usual paid twinky Puerto Rican