News: Rosa Parks, Bradley Manning, Boy Scouts, Perez Hilton

RoadStatue of Rosa Parks unveiled at the Capitol.

PerezRoadPerez Hilton is a father.

RoadJustin Bieber tries diapers.

RoadGovernment to call 141 witnesses for prosecution in trial of Wikileaks soldier Bradley Manning: "The gigantic scale of the prosecution plans were revealed during pre-trial legal argument over how sensitive secret information would be handled. The trial, scheduled to start on 3 June and pencilled in for 12 weeks, is the most prominent prosecution of the source of an official leak for at least a generation."

RoadManning enters guilty plea.

RoadDavid Mixner: Bob Woodward has a desperate need for attention.

RoadPrince Harry remembers Diana in speech in Johannesburg.

RoadMary-Louise Parker denies using anti-gay slur: "While a rep for the Weeds star has confirmed to E! News that the actress did go to the Saugerties, N.Y., establishment on Jan. 2 with a friend, the story attributed to the National Enquirer claiming the actress used the word 'f-g' and threatened physical harm against the proprietor, Daniel Seldin, is simply untrue."

RoadDo people care what Ryan Lochte would do?

RoadChris Hughes and Sean Eldridge buy home, put down roots in Ulster County, NY.

BoyscoutRoadDocuments reveal close ties between National Geographic Channel and Boy Scouts.

RoadFrank Bua: The Boy Scouts made me gay. "As a young New Yorker questioning his sexuality during the Reagan years, I turned to the Boy Scouts, Ed Koch, and episodes of Magnum P.I., to reaffirm my red-blooded masculinity. One would think the Scouts were my best bet to be on the straight and narrow. But after securing Merit badges in bird watching, gardening, pottery, and theater—to say nothing of the extracurricular fun we had earning the plumbing and leatherwork merit badges—I came to realize that I was, well, screwed."

RoadGay rights emerge as a campaign issue in Germany.

RoadJim Parsons graces the pages of GQ.

2_ricky_martinRoadRicky Martin "extremely upset" about Puerto Rico's ban on gay adoption.

RoadAnti-LGBT Christian group begins evangelizing in Brazil: "Pat Robertson founded the American Center for Law and Justice in 1990 to provide a national presence opposing the American Civil Liberties Union — often filing and defending cases all the way to the Supreme Court. But in recent years it has been growing its foreign operations, making it a player in policies to constrain LGBT rights on three continents."

RoadJames Franco was the third choice to play Oz in the new film. Guess who the first two were?

RoadMorrissey fires back at Jimmy Kimmel.

RoadMatt Rettenmund rates Madonna's catalog, best to worst.

RoadMorrissey talks to the Hollywood Reporter: "A lot of people are homesick for The Smiths -- and not because everyone else is abysmal, but because the songs of The Smiths are so good. With most bands, if they have two decent songs, they end up with five-star reviews. There are so many easy victories these days for other bands. But The Smiths were never promoted and almost never received radio play, and this mystery has protected them in the long run. But a reformation will never take place because reformations can only work if the same spirit that made the band form in the first place still exists. But it doesn't."

Comments

1. Perez Hilton: No mas! No mas!

Manning: His trial should have occurred LONG before now. Prosecutors should accept a plea bargain and call it a day. But they smell blood and fame due to the case's infamy. He'll serve a long sentence either way.

David Mixner/Bob Woodward: Aside from pot+kettle=black, Woodward is most likely telling the truth. Obama's administration hasn't lived up to expectations [or promises] by a wide margin as far as transparency is concerned.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 28, 2013 4:14:35 PM

2. I doubt the National Enquirer got it right this time. Mary-Louise Parker has a decades-long history of being a strong advocate of the gay movement.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Feb 28, 2013 4:37:34 PM

3. I'd rather see the Duck Dynasty boys over Morrissey anyway.

Posted by: beef and fur | Feb 28, 2013 4:41:18 PM

4. I like that Ricky Martin pic a lot.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 28, 2013 4:55:41 PM

5. @ratbastard: I generally admire Woodward, but he's wrong. It's a cordial, apologetic email from Sperling. If Woodward wants to interpret it through a Nixonian filter, that's his problem. Just read the email exchange.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 28, 2013 5:03:27 PM

6. Ryan Lochte: Big dummy. Great tummy.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 28, 2013 5:03:56 PM

7. Ricky Martin can't and Perez Hilton can? I would feel so much better if he was holding a puppy. And what's this rumor about Neil Patrick and his BF splitting? It's all over The Enquirer. They did break the John Edwards story. It's still a rag, but sometimes gets it right.

Posted by: Jake | Feb 28, 2013 5:05:24 PM

8. Goodness. In that photo Perez looks like he actually went through labor and birthed the baby.

Maybe not. Caesareans can be brutal also.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 28, 2013 5:05:59 PM

9. I hope Perez used a sperm donor!!!! No need to pass on those god awful ugly genes.

Posted by: Tom | Feb 28, 2013 5:27:32 PM

10. That poor Perez baby! How long until someone uses MS Paint to draw cocaine on the babies nose.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Feb 28, 2013 5:34:57 PM

11. Anne Hathaway supported equal rights way before most Hollywood actresses.... remember that people!!

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Feb 28, 2013 5:42:38 PM

12. Perez looking more and more like Tom Waits

Posted by: pete | Feb 28, 2013 5:45:11 PM

13. I hope to God Perez adopted, because we don't need another chimpanzee looking freak like him walking around.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Feb 28, 2013 6:11:12 PM

14. i detest Perez Hilton's various stage personae. However, I gotta say I like a picture like the one here that makes him look like an actual person instead of an overproduced cartoon.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Feb 28, 2013 6:23:26 PM

15. I hope people don't start drawing penis on his photo of his new son.

Posted by: Ryan35 | Feb 28, 2013 6:24:38 PM

16. The story about Chris and Sean is impressive. These two married gay men are among the major new leaders in America! And there are a whole lot more.

What's happening? Some days it hits me harder than others. These two guys trigger the hope and the joy more than most.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 28, 2013 8:45:33 PM

17. I know that Morrissey and Marr get ridiculous offers to re-form The Smiths but Moz is right in his comments, if the same vibe isn't there from 1982-1987 --and it's impossible to recreate-- why bother? I was really sad that Joe Strummer died so young, but the one positive was there would never be a Clash reunion.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Feb 28, 2013 9:11:50 PM

18. I am just not buying the idea of someone quitting Columbia to campaign for gay marriage. Or weaving in and out of an investment/financial career. Or buying a third home 200 miles from there more expensive properties... so that they can bestow their superior governing skills upon the unwashed masses. I just don't see that as leading to someone representative of the area. Or a sign of someone who will place service above political power derived from finances or elitism.

Nor do I see what accomplishments are being brought to the table. I take this a bit personally because I think of all the qualified people denied opportunities & representation over the years.

Posted by: robroy | Feb 28, 2013 9:13:19 PM

19. Babies are being exploited today. They are more like props not people.

Posted by: Jake | Feb 28, 2013 9:16:56 PM

20. @ROBROY
    I agree. He quit Columbia Law to campaign for marriage. That raises the question whether he can multitask. Then, while campaigning for marriage, he founded and headed an investment firm. That contradicts his reason for quitting Columbia.

Posted by: tcw | Mar 1, 2013 12:51:25 AM