Anderson Cooper | Nature | News

Anderson Cooper Dives with Nile Crocodiles: VIDEO

CROC

Hundreds of people each year in Africa are killed by Nile crocodiles, which can grow up to 20 feet long and weigh as much as a car. So, naturally, Anderson Cooper got into the water with them.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_CROSC

Make sure not to miss a Towleroad headline by following @TLRD on Twitter.

Comments

1. Guuuuuuurrrrrl!

Posted by: fsinsd | Mar 25, 2013 11:19:23 AM

2. Anderson Cooper amazes me. He has no issue diving with alligators, but he is frightened by a fake monster on his TV show. Love him!!!

Posted by: THurts | Mar 25, 2013 11:42:09 AM

3. Please go away Anderson Cooper. Your completely overrated!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ted | Mar 25, 2013 11:49:57 AM

4. Naaah, he is just working his ass off to retroactively deserve that absurdly premature GLAAD thingy!
    Better werk, gurlfriend!
    Show the world that some gheys are just as much of daredevils as some of their breeder bros...maybe...LOL

Posted by: iban4yesu | Mar 25, 2013 11:56:18 AM

5. Alright, Anderson--go ahead and get eaten by a crocodile! That'd be a butch way to go...

Posted by: Michael W. | Mar 25, 2013 11:58:06 AM

6. Ben to Anderson: "OK that does it. I want all of you, not just what's left over after some god@amned adventure. You're grounded."

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 25, 2013 11:58:48 AM

7. I just want to see his awesome big balls! I know he's got them for sure!!

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Mar 25, 2013 12:05:32 PM

8. Keep it up and he's going to have his own Steve Irwin moment.

Posted by: ESA | Mar 25, 2013 12:17:25 PM

9. Jesus christ, all of you are embarrassing to the gay race. The hell is wrong with y'all?

A gay guy does something on TV that isn't stereotypical and watch all the "guuurll" "bette werk guuurrrl" coming at him?

But then lord how we like to complain when the stereotypes are a-plenty on TV and movies. I'm ashamed of all of you and your negative attitudes.

Posted by: ron | Mar 25, 2013 12:25:05 PM

10. I was in a croc refuge in India with one boss, another boss's wife, and one of their boyfriends. I was the one who wanted to go there, paid to feed them, held one, and got in a pen with them. All the straights were scared.

There are ways to be safe around animals. Lions, maybe not so much. Crocs look scary, but so does my dog, who was bred to hunt lions. What's the point of living a dull life?

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 25, 2013 12:46:00 PM

11. huh, at first when I heard about this clip the thought "ambulance chaser" came to mind - but I think his filming these crocodiles like this would likely help with conservation efforts... I do feel a bit jealous that he got to do that. I've scuba dived with sharks before and there is a similar feeling that they are quite beautiful once you're underwater and you feel safe with them. Plus, sharks are beautiful swimmers underwater, very graceful.

Posted by: steve | Mar 25, 2013 12:46:15 PM

12. CBS must have him well insured. I saw that and it was quite something how close they got. I enjoy his 60 minutes features much more than his CNN stuff.

But maybe he was shopping for new clothes. Apparently, croc t-shirts are available at Hermes in NYC for $91,500. Cheaper to fly to Egypt, catch your own gator and have some seamstress stitch it together for you!

Posted by: hugo | Mar 25, 2013 1:33:25 PM

13. @Hugo

Once again, what is this self-hating tone all of you are using? I'm confused. It's "Gurl this" or "Gurlll that" and you come up with the suggestion the gay guy must be doing this cuz he needs crocodile leather items?

I think you been gay-bashed a little too many times in the head, it's not working properly....

Posted by: ron | Mar 25, 2013 1:48:54 PM

14. Those crocs better not put a scratch on him, or they'll have me to deal with!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 25, 2013 2:19:35 PM

15. Oh jeez, stunt journalism. The grave of John Stossel. Jake Tapper is looking better and better.

Disclaimer: I did like the outtake from a very worthwhile 60 minutes Coral Reef feature Cooper once reported in which he was bitten by a Communist Cuban rat who presumably wanted to see what blue blood tastes like.

Posted by: Enzo | Mar 25, 2013 2:40:51 PM

16. I loved THurts' comment, he is right. Anderson we love you!!! But please stop that. Plus from an European point of view your "actions" looks so tacky. Crocodile, Egypt, the pope... so much courage for so little consistent news. I know CNN loves "Breaking News"

Posted by: Jean-Jacques | Mar 25, 2013 2:47:15 PM

17. @iban4yesu:

Really? He's been doing reports on gay rights issues, discrimination and so forth for years and years on CNN and has an impact on his mainly straight viewers, which is probably more important than certain activists just preaching to the choir. That award was well deserved.

I like that even straight guys who don't like effeminate gays respect him for being a badass but it's kind of unfair to act as if he is doing this to counter stereotypes. He's been a badass for a quater of a century now. That's obviously part of his personality.

Posted by: Jake | Mar 25, 2013 9:42:00 PM

18. What an interesting and exciting life he leads. I admire him. There is however not a snowballs chance in hell that I would immitate his swimming with crocks. I even get a little freaked out when I am swimming in the ocean and some seawseed brushes against me.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 25, 2013 10:43:48 PM

19. And now all the poachers are going to be doing this to hunt Crocs. It's sad.

Posted by: Yaoi | Mar 25, 2013 11:27:44 PM