Boy Scouts | Carly Rae Jepsen | News

Carly Rae Jepsen 'Praying' Boy Scouts End Gay Ban: VIDEO

Carly_jepsen

"Call Me Maybe" singer Carly Rae Jepsen spoke with MTV News about her decision to drop out of the Boy Scouts Jamboree over the group's ban on gay scouts and leaders.

Said Jepsen:

"I mean, it was sort of one of those things that I kind of have my opinions about, and everyone's entitled to their own, but it wasn't necessarily something that I felt comfortable backing once I learned more about it. And that being said here's hoping they make the right decision and I'm praying that moves like this will help."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. If she doesn't agree with their policy, why was she even scheduled to preform? that's what i don't understand.

Posted by: James | Mar 14, 2013 6:31:06 PM

2. She could have been unaware (she's Canadian.) The Canadian Boy Scouts do not have these discriminatory policies.

Posted by: unruly | Mar 14, 2013 6:41:00 PM

3. she's at a place where she shows up and performs where her handlers book her. her career will most likely be a flash in the pan, and they need to maximize the coin. think of a person doing the USO tour for the boiz. raise those tents.

Posted by: my2cents | Mar 14, 2013 6:52:56 PM

4. Wow guys, these are the opening comments? Way to give props to someone taking a stand and doing right by us.

Posted by: J.LA. | Mar 14, 2013 7:05:13 PM

5. There's no winning with some of you guys.

Posted by: Mikey | Mar 14, 2013 7:09:52 PM

6. Carly is definitely on our side. Contrast her with that supporter of homophobes, Rihanna.

Posted by: rise | Mar 14, 2013 8:25:23 PM

7. i appreciate her realization that this gig isn't appropriate. but, geesh... especially since she did hit the scene with a gay themed video. the math doesn't add up.

riri is too big (she thinks) to care. there's a reason the company behind TS is named 'Big Machine'.

all in all - better late than never.

Posted by: my2cents | Mar 14, 2013 10:06:45 PM

8. You complainers are delusional if you think any Grammy-nominated performer is handling her/his own bookings. Do you honestly believe that you talk to the artist when you try to book someone for a private event like this?

If you need to assign blame, go after The Agency Group or Simkin Artist Management.

Posted by: alex | Mar 14, 2013 11:40:15 PM

9. I think this has been much more effective, publicity-wise, because she was already booked for the gig and then withdrew once she knew more about the BSA policy. If she had never been booked for it initially -- regardless of the reason -- it would not have made the news. Carly Rae deserves serious kudos for this, and I for one feel much less guilty about "Call Me Maybe" being such a guilty pleasure.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 15, 2013 9:01:03 AM

10. Thanks, Carly, and I hope you have a long and prosperous career.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 15, 2013 9:09:54 AM

11. ow many of us who are gay were scouts??? What is the big f'in deal?

Posted by: billmiller | Mar 15, 2013 6:43:55 PM

12. thank you carly for standing up for what is right!

Posted by: Klien | Mar 16, 2013 6:19:19 AM