News | News Clips | North Dakota

BigGayDeal.com

Rookie North Dakota News Anchor Begins First Broadcast with 'Gay' F-Bomb: VIDEO

Clemente

NBC North Dakota Anchor AJ Clemente did not have an auspicious first day on the job, beginning his broadcast with the words "gay... f**king... sh*t". On the bright side, North Dakota viewers finally got to see something interesting on the news.

Aj_clementeWatch (warning: language), AFTER THE JUMP...

Clemente has been suspended by the station:

To all of you who are writing in...I want to apologize for an incident that occurred prior to our early newscast this evening, when one of our employees used profanity on the air.

He did not realize his microphone was on, but still, that's no excuse. WE train our reporters to always assume that any microphone is live at any time. Unfortunately, that was not enough in this case. WE can't take back what was said. The person involved has been suspended until we resolve the situation. All we can do at this point is ask for your forgiveness, and I can offer my personal assurance that I will do my best to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again under my watch.

UPDATE: AJ explains himself on Twitter.

"Tough day, Thanks for the support,We all make mistakes. Im truly sorry for mine. I'll try my hardest to come back better and learn from this...I just want to say that I did not say the word gay, I was trying to pronounce the London Marathon winners name Tsegaye Kebede...I would never disrespect anybody in that matter. Once again I'm truly sorry."

UPDATE II: AJ was fired.

Twqeet_clemente

Comments

1. Big f#ckin' deal.

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 22, 2013 9:15:48 AM

2. Maybe it's the equivalent to Jinx Monsoon's "Water Off A Duck's Back" from RPDR?

And that was an NBC affiliate? Wow....

Posted by: PiMCTaylor | Apr 22, 2013 9:17:13 AM

3. Expletives aside...how the hell did they hire Mr. Mumbles in the first place?

Posted by: Bill S. | Apr 22, 2013 9:22:48 AM

4. @ClementeAJ -- I just want to say that I did not say the word gay, I was trying to pronounce the London Marathon winners name Tsegaye Kebede.

Posted by: brian | Apr 22, 2013 9:24:00 AM

5. @ClementeAJ -- I just want to say that I did not say the word gay, I was trying to pronounce the London Marathon winners name Tsegaye Kebede.

Posted by: brian | Apr 22, 2013 9:24:02 AM

6. He's as cute as a button - purrrrrrr

Posted by: Adam | Apr 22, 2013 9:28:20 AM

7. How did he not realize he was on air when his coanchor started reporting?

Posted by: screaming queen | Apr 22, 2013 9:33:25 AM

8. What a quality station.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 22, 2013 9:34:26 AM

9. Microphone being on is irrelevant

Posted by: rick scatorum | Apr 22, 2013 9:37:30 AM

10. Lol, kind of sad that they are probably the only non-white people in all of ND.

Posted by: Nat | Apr 22, 2013 9:40:03 AM

11. Okay, even though some of the bitter, middle-aged queens around here are going to get upset, Tank has to keep it real. You bitches who are criticizing this guy would be all over him like a bad rash if he just gave you an ounce of encouragement. Yeah, he doesn't seem very bright, he's not very articulate, and he's probably got some bigoted views, but I still think a lot of you wouldn't mind banging this big, manly dude! I'm just trying to keep it real, guys!

Posted by: TANK | Apr 22, 2013 9:42:46 AM

12. That looks like a very amateurish TV station.

Posted by: Ken | Apr 22, 2013 9:43:12 AM

13. Here I thought MY local ABC station had terrible production quality! WOW...

Posted by: MikeKV | Apr 22, 2013 9:48:19 AM

14. I've watched this three times and I don't understand it at all. It was like he has Tourette's, as the swears coming out of his mouth were totally random and unrelated to what's going on around him. And he continued to say something else I couldn't hear while his co-anchor was trying to plow through the broadcast. Maybe he was rehearsing a list of words he shouldn't say?

Anyway, all is forgiven as he redeemed himself with his impromptu bio: "I'm used to being from the east coast"

Posted by: Brian | Apr 22, 2013 9:48:41 AM

15. Weekend newscasters usually are the worst. Also, production values are normally sub-par.

Posted by: CB | Apr 22, 2013 9:48:41 AM

16. I feel a little sorry for her, though--having to cover for this dud.

Posted by: kdknyc | Apr 22, 2013 9:49:58 AM

17. Brian,
    As the co-anchor is speaking, he is still trying to pronounce Tsegaye Kebede's name. That's where the "gay" part comes in.

Posted by: JR | Apr 22, 2013 9:51:54 AM

18. Van Tieu,that's Vietnamese for "i'm working alone." Haven't been this let down since James Franco phoned it in at the Oscars.

Posted by: Cd in DC | Apr 22, 2013 9:52:59 AM

19. I'm not american so maybe I'm wrong but did he used the word "gay" as to mean "stupid"? Why nobody seems to be upset about that? It seems to me this is the most homophobic thing possible. Maybe it's because my knowledge of English is limited but i don't get why this is not a big deal, I mean not only in this instance. Sorry for my english.

Posted by: NewMarc | Apr 22, 2013 9:55:54 AM

20. I buy his explanation but his skills in front of the camera are atrocious, without speaking on the horrendous blunder he made.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 22, 2013 9:59:31 AM

21. I buy his explanation but his skills in front of the camera are atrocious, without speaking on the horrendous blunder he made.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 22, 2013 9:59:31 AM

22. Shortest on-air broadcasting career ever.

Posted by: S. | Apr 22, 2013 10:01:32 AM

23. LMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh c'mon, that's funny sh*t right there.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 22, 2013 10:01:35 AM

24. I am not offended anymore by this kind of things and I actually thought it was funny. I particularly liked the comment by TANK.

Posted by: me_in_pdx | Apr 22, 2013 10:08:24 AM