Mermaids | Mermen | News | Reality TV | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Meet the Gay Man Living the Mermaid Lifestyle: VIDEO

Ducharme

Eric Ducharme is the subject of TLC's My Crazy Obsession, premiering tonight. Buzzfeed has the trailer and some wonderful gifs.

The Daily Mail reports:

'When I put on a tail I feel transformed,' Ducharme says while resting on the water's edge. 'I feel like I'm starting to enter into a different world when I hit the water.'

He calls it 'mermaiding,' his own style of costumed free-diving that he says allows him to escape the world up above.

'Being under water I feel, I'm just totally away from the world,' he explains while able to hold his breath for up to four minutes at a time.

Though as bizarre of a 'lifestyle' activity as it is, it's one his family and even boyfriend have accepted - it not without initial astonishment.

'When I first met Eric, I was introduced to the subject of mermaids, on our first date,' Ducharme's boyfriend Matthew Quijano opens up on camera. 'Your jaw just kind of drops and you're just like, "wow."

'When we go swimming I don't even see him because he swims off to his own little corner, it's all about getting away from the rest of the world,' he says.

Check out video of Ducharme mertailing, AFTER THE JUMP...

Anigif_enhanced-buzz-7827-1364929211-0

Comments

1. If you're going to have a "crazy obsession" it might as well be one where you get to be a alluring, mythical creature and look damned handsome while you do it. You could do worse!

Posted by: David | Apr 3, 2013 3:45:54 PM

2. So, he's a Pisces?

Posted by: yuninv | Apr 3, 2013 3:49:02 PM

3. Where's his merpenis?

Posted by: Nick | Apr 3, 2013 3:51:35 PM

4. Uh... kinda creepy... and he's not even cute.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 3, 2013 3:54:59 PM

5. He needs a walrus best friend! Maybe Mags can play the part :D

Posted by: Chris | Apr 3, 2013 3:56:39 PM

6. The tail must have been on very tight to not slip off . Must be uncomfortable.

Posted by: Ant | Apr 3, 2013 3:58:11 PM

7. It makes it easier to accept the crazy obsession when he looks damn hot doing hit.

Posted by: THurts | Apr 3, 2013 3:58:42 PM

8. It makes it easier to accept the crazy obsession when he looks damn hot doing it. (Time to go back to remedial typing and editing class)

Posted by: THurts | Apr 3, 2013 3:59:59 PM

9. "now everyone's gonna think that all gay men are mermaids and we live underwater and want to marry fish! this is going to make us look bad!"

hehee.

this is awesome.

and at least it keeps him physically fit! did anyone else see that episode where the "straight" guy was having a sexual relationship with his car that he gave a male name? that was just bonkers. this is kinda cute.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 3, 2013 4:00:34 PM

10. HE IS TOTALY CUTE AND GREAT FOR HIM TO BE ABLE TO LIVE IN SUCH A MAGICAL WORLD. KEEP DISCOVERING AND INSPIRING!

Posted by: GEORGE ORTIZ | Apr 3, 2013 4:01:30 PM

11. Yeah, I'm fine with this. At least he's not some creepy Disney drag mermaid. Maybe Starbucks will give him a call.

Posted by: Gregoire | Apr 3, 2013 4:01:43 PM

12. omg, the ENYA!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 3, 2013 4:02:34 PM

13. Great! But can he belt like Ethel, too? LOL

Posted by: iban4yesu | Apr 3, 2013 4:03:45 PM

14. This is a heavy duty ab workout.

Posted by: Jack | Apr 3, 2013 4:06:44 PM

15. ... and he can hold his breath for up to 4 minutes. That could come in handy!

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Apr 3, 2013 4:20:51 PM

16. I've dated guys with more eccentric hobbies and fantasies than this, God knows. But I'm fascinated that there's actually a place where you can buy the tails, and in different colors, too!

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Apr 3, 2013 4:25:19 PM

17. About ten years ago my partner and I went to Hana, Maui and hiked to a remote place called the Venus Pools. It was where a river emptied into the ocean and created a large clear pool mixed with fresh and sea water. Many large beautiful fish had become trapped in it and lived their lives there. You could dive off the rocks by a waterfall into the pool and swim.
    There was a stunning girl there who lived in a cave and introduced herself to us as "Venus". She would swim in the pool on her side with her hand out and cupped in the Venus wave.
    We left $10 on a rock when we left.

We returned this past January and the whole area had been washed away by torrential flooding.

Posted by: Mikey DallasM | Apr 3, 2013 4:25:54 PM

18. I suddenly feel much less odd than I ever have before!

Though I have to admit I did once have a wet dream about being a mer-man.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 3, 2013 4:25:54 PM

19. He makes his own tails.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Apr 3, 2013 4:27:16 PM

20. Why a mermaid? There is such a thing as a merman, and he looks like one (not being in drag or anything). Bad education?

Posted by: hamish108 | Apr 3, 2013 4:45:29 PM

21. His focus is admirable. I don't think this should be called a "crazy" obsession as he at least is making a living out of this. He looks amazing too!

Posted by: Mercedes | Apr 3, 2013 4:45:32 PM

22. I really enjoyed watching Eric swimming. I think I've wanted to be a merman at some point as a kid.

Merpeople are half whale and half human, not half fish. This is apparent from 1) the position of the tail and 2) the fact that both humans and whales are mammals and so more compatible hybrids. As for the scales that merpeople are sometimes depicted with, pangolins are also mammals with scales.

Posted by: Kyle | Apr 3, 2013 4:50:10 PM

23. A bit weird perhaps, but also very cute. And the guy is handsome.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 3, 2013 5:00:26 PM

24. As far as I'm concerned, he's not hurting anyone with his interests, so why judge him? His boyfriend went into the relationship knowing about it. Everyone else can go **** themselves if they have a problem with it.

Posted by: atomic | Apr 3, 2013 5:04:20 PM

25. Kyle, you may be overthinking this.

I admire his dedication but there are no mermaids! (Or mer-men)

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 3, 2013 5:08:44 PM