News: Chrissy Amphlett, Portland, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Vacuum Cat

RoadParaguay elects anti-gay president.

RoadNew Zealand marriage equality bill given royal assent.

DivinylsRoadDivinyls singer Chrissy Amphlett dies at 53 after battle with breast cancer.

RoadVideo: Cat just can't quit vacuum.

RoadStudy: Marriage equality would give Minnesota's economy a $42 million boost.

RoadJudge: Lesbian couple can challenge DOMA. "U.S. District Judge Consuelo Marshall also ordered Friday that the lawsuit, filed last year on behalf of Philippines citizen Jane DeLeon and her spouse Irma Rodriguez, can proceed as a class-action case."

RoadDeadline: Ellen and manager Eric Gold part ways.

RoadFirst look at the 9/11 Memorial Museum.

RoadSenators trying to sneak through a massive online sales tax hike: "As early as Monday, the Senate will vote on a bill that was introduced only last Tuesday. The text of this legislation, which would fundamentally change interstate commerce, only became available on the Library of Congress website over the weekend."

RoadYoung and Beautiful: Lana del Rey's Great Gatsby song.

RoadMale model fix: Clark Bockelman.

ArtificeRoadThe Atlantic looks at the Yaoi comic Artifice.

RoadHistory will remember the 'Gang of Eight' left gays out of immigration reform: "Will you realize that we are human beings in time to include us, or will you decide that we are too politically volatile to risk your broader goals? Will you convince yourself that maybe the Supreme Court will help them, or that you'll do something for the gays later?"

RoadBoston Cardinal O'Malley ties bombings to abortion: “individualism and alienation of our age has spawned a culture of death.”

RoadGerman football fans unite against homophobia.

RoadBrendon Ayanbadejo on FOX Sports: "The NFL is the most popular and most-watched sport in the U.S., capturing some 59 percent of the entire U.S. population as viewers. With 1,696 players on its opening day rosters, the NFL is also the largest professional sports league in North America....What are they waiting for?"

RoadJames Franco's Gucci documentary had its debut.

RoadPrince Harry makes appearance at the London Marathon.

EverettRoadRupert Everett: Sex is over.

RoadEuropean parliament asks European Commission to step up work against anti-trans discrimination: “In an EU study to be released next month, we learn that over a third of transgender people were physically attacked in the last five years. This shows all the violence and discrimination trans people face, and the EU must now take this as seriously as possible.”

RoadPortland man's parents quit church over anti-gay stance: "I am deeply disappointed in the congregational vote on Sunday, March 17, 2013 and disappointed in Charlie’s leadership of what was once my church. Several members said everyone is welcome at Spring Hill. What I heard was, you are welcome if you believe what we believe. My son lives on the west coast, because he does not feel welcome here. When he returns home for a visit, he waits outside the church on Sunday mornings so he can say hello to some of the folks that he treasures from his childhood in the church. Does that sound like someone who feels welcomed?"

Comments

1. I love your site. But seriously, is there anyone who cares one whit what Rupert Everett thinks anymore?

Go spread your bitterness somewhere else, Rupert.

Posted by: Craig | Apr 22, 2013 4:05:54 PM

2. Great review of Artifice and I hope someone at HBO see's it's potential as a series. I'd follow Jeff and Deacon through all the mayhem they could dish up for the Corporation for many seasons... and maybe find out exactly how cyborg/human sex works exactly :)

Posted by: RONTEX | Apr 22, 2013 4:36:33 PM

3. Basically Everett thinks, since he's such an important actor, he can be a snob. And that is exactly what he is. He would not want to associate with gay people unless they are admiring him.

Posted by: Jellybean | Apr 22, 2013 5:22:53 PM

4. Two quibbles.........
    1- "Portland" refers to the city in Oregon, to most people, nowadays, so "Portland ME" is a clearer indicator that one is referring to the Eastern one.
    2- I am bit surprise you passed on the Murdoch rag's biased story of sales tax, and adopted its attitude.
    States like California lose FORTUNES IN TAX - sales, income, property,etc -- and fortunes in local employment (often retail employees are Gay) to this antiquated loophole.

Posted by: Bob | Apr 22, 2013 5:25:52 PM

5. OMG!!!! Young & Beautiful is amazing! Lana is gonna be a legend. She has the most beautiful voice that I have ever heard <3 Girlfriend makes me question my gayness lmao.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 22, 2013 5:31:14 PM

6. OOPS -- I later went to the link. My reading of the above suggested that the son was on the West Coast, and the parents in Portland (thus, Portland ME)- It's a VIRGINIA man who lives in Portland, OR.

Posted by: Bob | Apr 22, 2013 5:34:18 PM

7. Chrissy Amphlett, a great singer, she wll be missed.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 22, 2013 5:36:18 PM

8. You know, you can expect to find some crazy with Rupert Everett, but that was a pretty sane article made more sensational by a cherry picked line.

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 22, 2013 5:36:49 PM

9. What is it with the recent trend in cat-vacuuming?

I'm guessing no owner is going to tell us when their cat dies horribly when they try to duplicate this nonsense for YouTube hits.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 22, 2013 5:51:50 PM

10. With the perpetual scowl he's had on his face since The Next Best Thing, I'm surprised that sex wasn't over for him a lot sooner.

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 22, 2013 6:02:08 PM

11. I wonder what the archbishop of Boston thinks causes pedophilia.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Apr 22, 2013 6:18:25 PM

12. PQ Monthly website appears to be down. Bad Towleroadies!

Posted by: TomTallis | Apr 22, 2013 6:38:49 PM

13. Having an adoring fan fawning over Everett for a long interview in a major publication is unprofessional. I couldn't make it through it.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 22, 2013 6:43:33 PM

14. Chrissy... she tread the boards but never really got the respect. But listening to her today I do hear the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. RIP

Posted by: LJC | Apr 22, 2013 8:45:13 PM

15. I vacuum my cat once a week. But I use the upholstery brush. He LOVES it! He gets a good brushing and I get rid of all that nasty cat fur.

On a serious note, I was very saddened to hear of Chrissy Amphlett's passing. I loved the Divinyls, saw them a couple of times years ago. R.I.P., Chrissy, and thank you.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 23, 2013 10:57:45 AM