News: Orcas, Kevin Sessums, Tennessee, Barbara Bush, HIV Trial

RoadHIV vaccine trial halted after vaccine fails.

RoadBarbara Bush on Jeb's possible candidacy: "We've had enough Bushes."

GalaRoadToo hot for his country?

RoadPhotographer captures battle between Orcas and Sperm Whales: "On April 18, a half-dozen orcas battled a pod of sperm whales off the southern coast of Sri Lanka. The unusual encounter is one of fewer than a dozen such recorded conflicts — and the first observed in the Indian Ocean."

RoadNOM's Brian Brown seethes over Rhode Island marriage equality win, compares gay families to those that have been torn apart by divorce and death.

RoadAlan Cumming to return to Cabaret for Broadway revival: "However, contrary to reports, he will not be joined by Oscar-winner Anne Hathaway, who had been tipped to take the role of Sally Bowles following a one-off concert at Joe's Pub in New York last year during which she sang several of the show's iconic numbers. Hathaway's publicist has denied the reports, saying that he 'has no idea' what prompted the story."

RoadBieber's tour bus busted for marijuana.

RoadDerek Theler is looking fine.

CoppolaRoadBishop who ousted gay Catholic from Long Island parish rejects 18,000 petition signatures, sends them back: "I really don't understand what sort of message Bishop Murphy is trying to send," said Nicholas Coppola upon learning that the signatures were mailed back. "Is he no longer listening to the voices of the faithful? I have more questions than anything now."

RoadTennessee set to observe 'Traditional Marriage Day' on August 31.

RoadSan Francisco's Bay Area Reporter to restructure.

RoadFirst wedding boutique for gay men set to open in Paris. "The ‘haut de gamme’ shop will be located in the capital’s wealthy 1st Arrondissement, close to the Louvre museum, and its opening on Saturday promises to be a '100% male day' where potential customers can browse through 'everything they’ll need for a successful wedding.'"

RoadJoseph Gordon-Levitt and Channing Tatum to star in Guys & Dolls remake?

RoadZac Efron putting on a gun show...

YdrRoadAnti-gay, anti-Muslim University of Arizona student causing more controversy with disgusting sign.

RoadSocarides: Momentum and Gay Marriage, from Paris to SCOTUS. "Progress toward marriage equality internationally could also affect some of the Justices, although there is a highly contentious left-right split on whether it is appropriate for the Supreme Court to look at international developments when formulating constitutional doctrine. The Court may feel that, far from getting ahead, it has fallen awkwardly behind not just the country but the world."

RoadCNBC: Being financially prepared for DOMA ruling.

RoadThe Slant interviews Kevin Sessums: "In the past I was like, Never out anybody. I was very adamant about that and at some point I sort of switched. I thought, You know what? I’m not going to buy into somebody else’s shame. They can deny it. I don’t give a shit. That’s fine. But I’m not going to be denied the question like it’s something shameful. Also, I’m not asking them what they do in their bedroom. I’m not asking them if they are a top or a bottom or what their sexual proclivities are. If someone is straight, that part of their life infuses all aspects of who they are. They talk about it all the time, and it’s not about being private."

Comments

1. Please change the HIV vaccine headline. It subtly suggests the the volunteers were infected by the vaccine, which was not the case. Thank you.

Posted by: New York | Apr 25, 2013 4:05:52 PM

2. That Arabian guy is really handsome. I find Arabian guys attractive, perhaps opposite (they usually have dark hair and eyes etc) attracts.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 25, 2013 4:07:34 PM

3. I was mildly stunned to read/hear that the Bay Area Reporter is still putting out copies. In this day and age of internet?? Wow. I recall it fondly when I lived in S.F. back in the mid to late 80's.

Posted by: Tom | Apr 25, 2013 4:11:51 PM

4. In the battle between the sperm whales and the killer whales ("Orcas" if you wish to euphemistically deny their nature) I feel compelled to cheer for Team Sperm.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Apr 25, 2013 4:18:52 PM

5. Fortunately, the HIV vaccine study, in fact, did NOT infect participants with HIV. The study was halted because the vaccine was discovered, after an interim review by an independent data and safety monitoring board (DSMB) found that the vaccine regimen did not prevent HIV infection.

There's a big difference between INFECTING and PREVENTING. The only way a participant can be come infected with HIV is through exposure to the virus...otherwise, through behavior that puts a person at risk of contracting HIV.

Please consider changing the erroneous headline and subsequent CBS News article.

Thanks Andy!

Posted by: Robert | Apr 25, 2013 4:22:58 PM

6. Well for once, I agree with Babs Bush!
    Zac is smokin'
    And I'm glad I'm Canadian, though I wish the Biebs wasn't

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 25, 2013 4:23:20 PM

7. Could we BE more careless with a dubious wording? The trial has been halted because it failed to PREVENT infection, not because volunteers "got infected". Lord...

Posted by: luminum | Apr 25, 2013 4:28:07 PM

8. There are beautiful African men, there are beautiful European men, there are beautiful East Asian men, there are beautiful Latino men, there are beautiful Pacific Islander men, and there are beautiful Sub-Continent men BUT beautiful Arab men are the most BEAUTIFUL of all. They can blow me up anytime (ooops, was that a slur? well, you know what I men)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 25, 2013 4:33:52 PM

9. lol derrick

Posted by: redball | Apr 25, 2013 4:36:56 PM

10. "We've had enough Bushes."

Why has no one pointed out that this could a be a double-entendre? I was expecting at least one person here to jokingly claim that this line could be the slogan for a group of formerly "straight" men who discovered they liked gay sex!

Posted by: Mary | Apr 25, 2013 4:40:41 PM

11. Now I know why so many of our Arabic translators are gay.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 25, 2013 4:51:33 PM

12. The headline about the Arab hottie is also erroneous. He wasn't too hot for his country, he was too hot for neighboring Saudi Arabia. He is from Abu Dhabi.

Posted by: Fanzy Panz | Apr 25, 2013 4:58:06 PM

13. Oh, my God, Derrick and I agree about something!

Fond, fond, fond memories for me of the oh-so-hot and oh-so-willing boys of the Middle East.

Those of you who are "scared" of cruising and being cruised in Muslim countries and then finding some isolated place to indulge your newfound, often "straight" hottie, have no idea what you are missing!

Posted by: Rick | Apr 25, 2013 5:11:51 PM

14. Actually, the gay wedding "shop" set to open in Paris is not a shop, but a 1-day fair with several dozens exhibitors presenting their services...

Posted by: Pat | Apr 25, 2013 5:12:13 PM

15. @ "Oh, my God, Derrick and I agree about something!"

How dare you!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 25, 2013 5:17:50 PM

16. "NO, NO , NO...we do not agree!!! I don't want no damn boys. I want MEN...big muscular MEN with matured testicles and hair between their butt cheeks."

Oh, I promise you, there are plenty of those in the Middle East, too. I meant "boys" in the generic sense, not (necessarily) in the twink sense.

That said, the younger "straight" guys are the ones most available and most horny in most Islamic countries, the reason being that pre-marital sex is absolutely verboten among women, so until they are married, they have no sexual outlet but other males....and man, what a windfall that provides!!!

Posted by: Rick | Apr 25, 2013 5:26:30 PM

17. That HIV headline is really misleading and potentially damaging. When I read the headline I assumed (wrongly) that the vaccine infected people. No, it failed to prevent infection. That like saying a kevlar vest injured a soldier when in fact it failed to prevent the bullet from hitting him.

Also, Brian Brown is a laugh-stock. He will find, on his eventual deathbed, that he wasted his life being obsessed with gay sex and was miserable when he could have just enjoyed who he was. Sad.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Apr 25, 2013 5:43:43 PM

18. Instead of his usual million dollars talk, Brian Brown has chosen the cheap way out. He just cut and paste from a French anti-gay website and google translated it into some irrelevant "father and mother" nonsense.

Posted by: simon | Apr 25, 2013 5:52:40 PM

19. Westboro Baptist meet Dean Saxton.

This is a mind on hate.

*Want to give kudos to the protestor beside him with a 'you deserve Grape'
    sign.

Posted by: JONES | Apr 25, 2013 6:16:10 PM

20. I love to see Gordon Levitt and Magic Mike in a movie together-playing boyfriends would be nice- but they would be all wrong for "Guys and Dolls"

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 25, 2013 6:27:47 PM

21. @Derrick from Philly and Rick

My first boyfriend was Egyptian and I am from detroit so....uhm yeah, Arab men are hot and I've had (ahem!) a few in my time.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 25, 2013 6:34:19 PM

22. Brian Brown is headed for a Major Meltdown -- and it's not gonna be pretty.

I predict his boyfriend will leave him.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 25, 2013 7:31:36 PM

23. THAT ARAB GUY IS --NOT--- ATTRACTIVE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!! PERIOD!! AND WHY ARE YOU FALLING PVER HIM WHEN HE AND HIS PEOPLE HATE THE VERY SIGHT OF YOU!!!????? SELF HATING AND DESPERATE GAY MEN...ALWAYS CHASING SOME DUDE WHO HATES YOU

Posted by: Shannon | Apr 25, 2013 11:23:39 PM

24. UH, Shannon, pipe down.

No one is talking about taking him home to mama..or meeting his parents. We're simply objectifying

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 26, 2013 7:24:21 AM

25. "....and I have waited so long to say this but Derrick and Rick, would you two get a room, please?"

Get a room and do what? Spit at each other? There's nothing I can do for that child. Now, if you contact your former Egyptian lover then maybe we can work something out.

SHANNON,

I understand and respect what you're saying. But one can fantasize and admire human beauty. Just because one can appreciate the most PHYSICALLY beautiful of other races doesn't mean you can't see the beauty in your own. I'd still prefer Blair Underwood over anybody on this earth.
    Fantasy, honey, it's harmless...usually.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 26, 2013 9:23:03 AM