Advertising | Grooming | News | One Million Moms

'One Million Moms' Goes Nuts Over Manscaping Ad: VIDEO

Norelco

One Million Moms has issued a call to action against a Norelco body grooming ad because it suggests a man is shaving his pubes.

They shriek:

The new Norelco commercial goes beyond a close facial shave to body grooming well below the chest and back. This commercial went WAY TOO FAR! During the commercial, it shows a man trimming hair in different areas of his body. Toward the end, it shows him standing with his boxer shorts down with hair falling to the floor as he uses the hair trimmer. It is implied that he is shaving in his private area. The dialogue in the ad is equally offensive. "I'd wink at me; I'd hug me," he says. Then he looks in the mirror, admires himself, and says, "I'd F*** me." The F-word is bleeped out. But then they display their website, www.IdFAQme.com. This is clearly a play on the F-word.

The ad shouldn't run at any time. It is not only inappropriate for children; it is offensive to adults also. The company's response to people's concerns is in poor taste. They are basically saying that they don't care, and they are going to run the commercial anyway. That just doesn't cut it.

Watch the ad, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via jmg)

2_norelco

Comments

1. I'm sure that 999,999 of the million moms have never seen their husbands' private parts, either..

Posted by: Burt | May 3, 2013 11:20:20 AM

2. I am not a prude AT ALL but even I was a little shocked at this one. I was watching TV while getting ready to go out EARLY evening on Saturday and this commerical played. Now mind you, it was on cable, but it was on E!(I think) and I would imagine kids watch that channel.

Personally, I thought it was a hilarious commercial, but I can easily see how people could be offended

Posted by: C.J. | May 3, 2013 11:20:25 AM

3. Cute! I'd FAQhim, too!

Posted by: Jeff | May 3, 2013 11:20:57 AM

4. Let the pearl clutching commence. I am half convinced this group is an undercover ad agency. Anytime they clutch their pearls over something, whatever it is has a huge boost in sales.

Posted by: AJ | May 3, 2013 11:23:41 AM

5. Wow, you'd have to be an utter moron to find anything shocking or offensive about this ad.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | May 3, 2013 11:24:54 AM

6. I wonder what it's like to live a life completely devoid of fun and humor. Apparently you become chronically butthurt.

Posted by: screaming queen | May 3, 2013 11:25:41 AM

7. Well, I'm not sure what to say...I guess the Summer's Eve commercials need to go also... I mean... Fresh down there????

@AJ... I think you might be onto something... if not, they are buffoons...

Posted by: Gerry | May 3, 2013 11:27:59 AM

8. God forbid any child learns anything before they immediately change into dirty whores. Innocence is slavery, it only benefits the puppetmaster, innocence is a totally made up concept that obscures all the heinous things done for it.

Posted by: Fenrox | May 3, 2013 11:28:59 AM

9. God forbid any child learns anything before they immediately change into dirty whores. Innocence is slavery, it only benefits the puppetmaster, innocence is a totally made up concept that obscures all the heinous things done for it.

Posted by: Fenrox | May 3, 2013 11:29:00 AM

10. I totally get it. One Million Shrews have never seen a man's nether regions, since procreation is done with a t-shirt on in the dark.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | May 3, 2013 11:29:36 AM

11. I'd totally f*** him before shaving. PUT THE ELECTRIC RAZOR DOWN!

Posted by: Mona | May 3, 2013 11:37:04 AM

12. Sut them up on an airplane and I might care.

Posted by: Max | May 3, 2013 11:39:38 AM

13. Wait a minute! Are you telling me that there are a million(!) married women with children who dislike this? A million?

Sad. Unless it's really not true. Hmmm.

Posted by: Tatts | May 3, 2013 11:40:55 AM

14. Oh, for crissake OMM, lighten up!

Soon as I read "shaving in his private area" I nearly choked from laughter.

Does anyone take this OMM henfest seriously?

Posted by: jamal49 | May 3, 2013 11:42:28 AM

15. Um...so is there anything in the Bible that forbids manscaping? Are there any laws against it? Do shaved pubes = flagrant immorality?

I'm reminded of the old rule nuns used to give to Catholic schoolgirls: they should never let a man take them to a restaurant with white linen tablecloths, lest the tablecloths make the man think of sheets and put him in "an occasion of sin" for having impure thoughts. Apparently thinking of pubes puts a child in "an occasion of sin."

Maybe the name of the organization should be One Million Pre-Vatican II Nuns

Posted by: Clayton | May 3, 2013 11:44:38 AM

16. Any commercial that gets the OMM's panties in a bunch is OK by me.

Posted by: e.c. | May 3, 2013 11:47:46 AM

17. I went to the One Million Mom's site and used the template they intended for protest letters to send a message to Norelco telling them how much I liked the ad.

Thanks OMM, for making it so easy for me to support Norelco.

Posted by: Clayton | May 3, 2013 11:48:49 AM

18. I'm sure that 7 yr old kids are going to immediately pull down their little boxers only to be confused about what all the fuss is about and wonder where the hair is coming from, then those million moms may have to admit to tell their kids that they have genitals and grown ups have body hair. Fast lane to Hell if you ask me.

Posted by: terry | May 3, 2013 11:49:11 AM

19. I like this ad but the guy in the other Norelco manscape ad is even hotter.

Posted by: NYC212 | May 3, 2013 11:50:42 AM

20. This is so obvious. They're not upset about the manscaping or "private area" as they are about the gay subtext. It's a guy saying sexual things to a guy, even if it's himself. That's too much for them.

Who cares what they say, no one listens. Good for Norelco for realizing that and ignoring them.

Posted by: Paul R | May 3, 2013 11:52:08 AM

21. This ad really has nothing to do with sexual orientation issues, it is more a question of sexual explicitness in general. I think the commercial is hilariously funny. Yet I agree with the "Moms" that it is not appropriate for TV. Ir realize that people can disagree on this topic. However, it seems as if some people on Towleroad and elsewhere are ready to like the commerical solely because the Moms dislike it. That doesn't make much sense - and it just widens the culture wars further.

There are many good people in America (on the right AND left) who aren't happy about the increasing coarseness and vulgarity in American culture. A good percentage of these people are pro-equality, or CAPABLE of becoming pro-equality very soon. Why alientate them?

I agree with the Moms on this issue, but I totally disagree with them when they object to commericals and ads that show gay/lesbian families as healthy and beautiful.

Posted by: Mary | May 3, 2013 12:00:20 PM

22. With all this "fainting and shock" from "offensive commercials" that the One Million Moms go through on a regular basis, you'd think they die off from brain injuries caused by lack of oxygen or hitting their heads when they faint.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | May 3, 2013 12:02:12 PM

23. they probably, had they been around in the 1990s, would have been losing their minds over those Herbal Essences commercials where the woman had the orgasmic reactions to shampooing their hair.

One Million Moms = a couple hundred women who've never had an orgasm.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 3, 2013 12:07:49 PM

24. One Million (or, more accurately, Ten) Moms are hysterical, in every sense of that word. All the trees that are being sacrificed to supply the sticks up their a$$es.

On a side note, down with the excessive manscaping! Sexier before the Norelco got to him.

Posted by: Ernie | May 3, 2013 12:10:22 PM

25. While the members of this group are certainly entitled to take offense at whatever they wish, they are really doing themselves no favors in the wanting-to-be-taken-seriously department when the language in their press release contains phrases like "private area" that are better reserved for talking to toddlers. I'm reminded of overwhelmed new moms who forget how to hold a conversation with other adults because they literally spend their days in the company of kids and never see or get to talk to any.

Posted by: Jere | May 3, 2013 12:19:09 PM