Charice | I'm Gay | Music | News

Filipina Megastar Charice Comes Out: I am a Lesbian — VIDEO

Charice

Charice, the Filipina actress who is a huge star in her home country, was championed here by Oprah and Ellen DeGeneres, and played Sunshine Corazon on Glee, came out of the closet in an an interview with ABS-CBN's The Buzz over the weekend, MTV UK reports:

She said: "Yes, I am a lesbian. But to those who can accept me, thank you very much. We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight."

Admitting that she had become estranged from her family, Charice later released a video thanking fans for their support.

In it she said: "I just wanna say thank you, personally... to all the people supporting me, to all the people who are still there for me. Honestly, I'm very, very happy. I can't explain how happy I am right now hearing all [these] positive things."

AFP adds:

The revelation about her sexuality received positive feedback and expressions of support in the mainly Catholic, socially conservative country with many taking to social media to praise the diminutive singer.

"Dear @OfficialCharice have you any idea how many young people you inspired today? More power, blessings and love to you!," tweeted Tony award-winning actress and singer Leah Salonga (@MsLeaSalonga), a fellow Filipina international star.

Watch both videos, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Wow, what a girl, and what a voice. She's got balls to come out. I wish her the best, and hope that this doesn't damage her carrer. Also, she will bring inspiration and solace to many a closeted teenager.

Posted by: L'nisha | Jun 3, 2013 8:25:22 AM

2. I love Charice! I'm sure this will help a lot of young people living w/ the oppression of 'religious' influence.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Jun 3, 2013 10:55:52 AM

3. Great for her! Awesome and nice to see she's received positive response! This will definitely inspire many youth struggling with their orientation, especially throughout Asia. Hopefully coming out doesn't hurt her career any.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 3, 2013 12:20:29 PM

4. As a Filipino-American, it always makes me proud to see another one of "My People" stand up loud and proud and be counted as a LGBT member.

Posted by: Howard | Jun 3, 2013 12:35:15 PM

5. A sweetheart & a huge talent, & so fortunate to have the courage to be so honest. I wish her the best.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 3, 2013 12:49:46 PM

6. Alas, the Catholic church in the Philippines is still on a campaign to erase anything gay from society....sometimes in subtle ways, for example: gay-themed magazines (not x-rated) have disappeared from newsstands where they used to appear along side other mainstream mags. Charice's coming out is indeed brave simply for how young she is and how early in her career she is; however, Jamaican singer Diana King ("I Say a Little Prayer for You," "Shy Guy," etc.) coming out last year is even more amazing. Even now, the whacked out Jamaican homophobes attack her on social media relentlessly.

Posted by: Jesse | Jun 3, 2013 1:18:39 PM

7. The first Asian to land on Top 10 Billboard Album Chart is also a lesbian.

Wow! Awesome!