Advertising | News

Drunk Driving PSA Terrifies People in the Men's Room: VIDEO

Mensroom

The UK's Department of Public Transportation hired ad agency Leo Burnett to create a PSA to prevent drunk driving by frightening people in the bathroom with an image of what might happen if they did so.

But it just may terrify you from using the men's room at all, or perhaps just washing your hands.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Folks are asked to respond to the campaign on Twitter using the hashtag #publooshocker.

2_mensroom

Comments

1. Brilliant.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jun 7, 2013 10:54:10 AM

2. Alternative interpretations:

Always wear seat belts on the toilet.
    Don't look in the mirror while driving.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 7, 2013 10:55:08 AM

3. i would have a heart attack

Posted by: David in NYC | Jun 7, 2013 10:59:16 AM

4. Oh wow, that is fantastic.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 7, 2013 11:00:13 AM

5. Great, go in to use the urinal and end up sh1tting your pants.

Posted by: EO | Jun 7, 2013 11:06:59 AM

6. That's really not a good idea. If someone with a bad heart experiences that and has a heart attack, or someone falls and hurts temselves as a result, the people responsible for the ad could be held liable. Good intentions, but it's a lawsuit in the making.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 7, 2013 11:09:27 AM

7. What an outstanding way to get the point across. I know it would have scared the crap out of me!

Posted by: Chris W | Jun 7, 2013 11:14:29 AM

8. That was sooo obviously a fake victim. I could tell by the pixels.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jun 7, 2013 11:15:05 AM

9. I'm thinking they were probably actors. It still gets the point across as a commercial.

Posted by: Michael W. | Jun 7, 2013 11:20:14 AM

10. Those aren't real people. It's advertising people! There are very few agencies that can use non union talent. Almost every single ad you see with "real people" is fake. (though they are actual real people. not robots)

Posted by: Eric | Jun 7, 2013 11:29:27 AM

11. When I was in High School we had an EMT come in and show slides to us in Driver's Ed class. I have been so terrified to EVER drive drunk. I only did it once for a few blocks and I cried the whole time. Moral of the story: Accident victim slides = EFFECTIVE

Posted by: AJ | Jun 7, 2013 11:46:37 AM

12. What a dumbass idea - could cause more harm than good

Posted by: Allan | Jun 7, 2013 11:49:52 AM

13. Maybe if they tightened up some of their liquor laws, there'd be less of a problem with alcohol induced crime problems. It's a common site in England to see teens and young adults publicly drinking open containers of beer and it's perfectly legal. A law was only fairly recently passed that bans drinking alcohol openly on the London Underground [subway]. But it still actually occurs and isn't strongly enforced. Bars now have the right to be open 24/7 [not all of themselves avail themselves, but some do] serving alcohol. Liquor and beer can be brought pretty much 24hrs a day at supermarkets, 7 days a week.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 7, 2013 11:50:59 AM

14. Love your explanation, Eric. :)

Posted by: Joe | Jun 7, 2013 12:01:10 PM

15. While what you are saying might be true, ratbastard, the difference with the US is that the vast majority of people in the UK, and especially in London use public transportation when going out, so there is less of a chance of drunk driving. I studied in the US for a while and it always amazed me how taboo drinking was, yet every weekend young underage students would still drink, hiding from their parents. Although I agree that stricter laws might be needed, I think its much better for everyone if people can drink in a pub or bar rather than hiding in a basement.

Posted by: deisit | Jun 7, 2013 12:07:05 PM

16. You know those men are actors. They're actually washing their hands.

Posted by: JimmyPaul | Jun 7, 2013 12:10:25 PM

17. This is an appalling idea. Since I, and most people, don't drive when drinking I take offence at such a scatter-shot approach. Guilty of peeing doesn't make you guilty of drunk driving.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 7, 2013 12:15:32 PM

18. It's not original... this was one of Alan Funt's Candid Camera's on CBS in the 1950's.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin the bleacher Preacher | Jun 7, 2013 12:20:42 PM

19. I'm not sure if it would get the point across at all at the time of the incident as there is no association with driving or being behind the wheel. It just comes off as a freakish accident from behind the wall that unnecessarily scares the shite out of someone without explaining why.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jun 7, 2013 12:31:25 PM

20. This is what they showed me in school:
    This film was so notorious that it was banned. (They showed us "Boys Beware" too.)

@JimmyPaul: "You know those men are actors. They're actually washing their hands." You gave me a good laugh.

Posted by: Charlie | Jun 7, 2013 12:36:16 PM

21. The real problem in the US is the notion that you either are or aren't an alcoholic, that alcoholism is an illness that you magically contract or worse that it's genetic.

I spent years observing alcohol use and abuse by others and myself. Alcohol abuse is willful misconduct. It is not a disease and you are not a victim. If you like to drink to oblivion, then plan your evening as you would if you were talking LSD or some other drug with a long wearing off time. Make sure you have everything you need at home, or the means to go out via public transportation.

In short, be an adult.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 7, 2013 12:58:56 PM

22. What a great way to scare people into not driving.

Posted by: Calgary Driving School | Jun 7, 2013 1:51:45 PM

23. Now apply that to Text Driving and maybe, it'll have a wider impact . . .

Posted by: Carter | Jun 7, 2013 2:30:17 PM

24. @ Eric. I work in advertising. You are flat-out wrong. You can
    use real people if they sign a release.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jun 7, 2013 3:20:43 PM

25. Yeah. If someone happened to have a heart condition and suffers a cardiac arrest, will see how the message ends. No fan of this kind of immature stuff but I see how Americans love pranks and the like.

Posted by: SayTheTruth | Jun 7, 2013 5:04:43 PM