Andrew Haigh | Frankie J. Alvarez | Jonathan Groff | Looking | Murray Bartlett | News | San Francisco | Television

A Visit to the Set of HBO's Gay Drama 'Looking': VIDEO

5_looking

HBO has posted a behind-the-scenes visit to the set of Looking featuring interviews with some of the actors and filmmakers behind the gay-themed drama which is coming in January and stars Jonathan Groff, Frankie J. Alvarez, and Murray Bartlett, along with Scott Bakula and Russell Tovey.

In this clip, the cast and crew talk about the importance of getting the authenticity of San Francisco right for the show, and what they hope it brings to the story.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

6_looking

Comments

1. Looking forward to watching this. Looks very promising.

Posted by: AriesMatt | Nov 24, 2013 1:39:29 PM

2. Looks and feels just like home to me (altho I wish they were shooting in my Russian Hill neighborhood!).

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Nov 24, 2013 2:10:24 PM

3. looks to be great. no vampires, werewolves, gangsters, soldiers, lovestruck single girls, rednecks, brits - is this really on hbo?

Posted by: northalabama | Nov 24, 2013 2:11:33 PM

4. I agree that it looks promising, but that doesn't look like SF to me.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 24, 2013 2:12:08 PM

5. I'll give it a try, but I've seen other things about it that weren't so good.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 24, 2013 2:16:14 PM

6. I'm annoyed this show has that ugly forced hipster aesthetic that's so trendy right now taking away from the look and feel of San Francisco but I'm still SO excited for this.

Posted by: JMC | Nov 24, 2013 2:17:09 PM

7. Andrew Haigh directed "Weekend". I'm in. Enthusiastically in. Looks "real" (except the stars are entirely too handsome :)) Yay!!!

Posted by: Geoff | Nov 24, 2013 2:21:12 PM

8. Ugh. Now I'm homesick for San Francisco.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 24, 2013 2:33:07 PM

9. Um, that's the East Bay. Duh.

Posted by: Lucca | Nov 24, 2013 2:58:11 PM

10. The hispanic guy is so yuck. Why do they feel the need to add one to every show nowadays? Honey, just tell us a good story with regular people and stop trying to make it more exotic!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 24, 2013 3:15:19 PM

11. Troll, if you spent as much time working on your miserable insecurities as a gay man as you do trying to get my attention then maybe you'd have a life worth living, not a half-life that you desperately need distraction from.

Chug Dran-o. Kthanksbye.

WOOF TO GROFF!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 24, 2013 3:19:29 PM

12. My interest in this died with the first line from the first trailer>

'What's wrong with having a life outside of work...if I didn't want to have a life, I'd move to LA'

SNORE.

Wow, that's exactly the kind of tired, old, tenth-hand, prefabricated 'wit' that might pass for good writing in first term at film school. It's the palest shadow of stuff Woody Allen was writing FORTY YEARS AGO.

Posted by: Chaz | Nov 24, 2013 3:22:56 PM

13. I wish STARZ had renewed the "BOSS" series in which Jonathan Goff was doing man-on-man sex for political purposes. Just when it was getting good, they cancelled the series.

There was some talk that they'd do a 2-hr movie to resolve all the plot lines they left us hanging with, but I haven't hear anything more lately.

I guess by now, it's been forgotten & we're free to make up our own endings.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Nov 24, 2013 3:55:37 PM

14. I wish STARZ had renewed the "BOSS" series in which Jonathan Goff was doing man-on-man sex for political purposes. Just when it was getting good, they cancelled the series.

I guess by now, it's been forgotten & we're free to make up our own endings.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Nov 24, 2013 3:55:38 PM

15. Hopefully it will be an honest depiction of gay life here in SF.. Filled with all the douchey, obnoxious people who come here because they didn't get enough attention from their mommies..

Posted by: jake john | Nov 24, 2013 4:18:17 PM

16. Directed by Andrew Haigh + much eye candy = yes I want to see this!!!

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Nov 24, 2013 4:20:31 PM

17. "Weekend" is one of my favorite movies. Andrew Haigh did such wonderful, honest work with it. I can't wait for "Looking" but I quickly need to find a friend who has HBO. Does anyone know if the series will be available through ITunes?

Posted by: Bryan L | Nov 24, 2013 4:48:09 PM

18. Talk about an attention wh0re! Little Kiwi posts a "fake" post then chastises the fake post to draw more attention to himself and to garner sympathy. You're fooling no one you sad little man! Get a life!

Posted by: John | Nov 24, 2013 4:53:16 PM

19. @CHAZ: Your points are well-taken, however San Franciscans *do* take every available opportunity to bash LA. It's annoying and tired and cliché, but it's true. So that line is authentic which is more than I can say for most writing.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 24, 2013 5:11:51 PM

20. I'm sure that this show is more than just a 'gay drama'. How about 'riveting drama'? Straights don't refer to shows as 'straight dramas'.

Message to Towleroad readers: Andy Towle is stereotyping you.

Posted by: ASam | Nov 24, 2013 5:57:43 PM

21. Doubt VERY much that Little Kiwi is faking this bothersome troll posting under his name that is just is not his style somehow . . .

Posted by: Mike | Nov 24, 2013 5:59:20 PM

22. It really is refreshing to see a show where the actors don't look made up and dressed by a costumer (it looks like they may have dressed out of their own closet) and the dialogue sounds fresh and lowkey and casual. I loved "Weekend", too. It wasn't trying to SELL me entertainment and a good time. It was just an honest exploration of a couple guys over the course of 48 hours.

Posted by: will | Nov 24, 2013 6:02:23 PM

23. It looks fairly authentic and gay guys are presented as their normal selves and not extra fab models/designers/decorators who live for Louis Vuitton handbags and Chanel. That gets real tiring.

Posted by: trivoli | Nov 24, 2013 6:44:10 PM

24. I thought Russell Tovey was playing a main character in this, but I didn't see him anywhere in that video.

Posted by: Knock | Nov 24, 2013 8:36:47 PM

25. Gah. Why does it have to be filmed in Extra Nauseating Super Shaky Cam™? I can't stand that. It's unwatchable.

Posted by: Joseph | Nov 24, 2013 10:39:02 PM