GOP Senators Attach Anti-Union Right-to-Work Amendment to ENDA

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senator Rand Paul have attached a right-to-work amendment to the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, the HuffPost reports:

McconnellThe measure — which, as Roll Call reported Monday, was tacked onto the Employee Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) — would forbid contracts between companies and labor unions that require workers to pay the union for bargaining on their behalf. Prized by Republicans and business groups and loathed by unions, such laws have made it onto the books in 24 states, most recently in Michigan…

…Right-to-work laws diminish union membership and weaken the clout of organized labor. Unions like to refer to such legislation as "right-to-work-for-less" laws, pointing to studies finding the laws depress wages. Right-to-work's boosters, including McConnell, portray the laws as a matter of workplace choice and a necessary counterweight to "Big Labor," even though unionized workers now make up only 6.6 percent of the private sector.

Comments

1. jamal49 says

I’d rather ENDA not pass if it means that unions and the workers’ right to unionize is curtailed in any way. I am gay, I am for LGBT civil equality and protection from workplace discrimination. I will not, however, throw under the bus my fellow workers, my union friends, the rights of workers to unionize and have a voice against the increasing ruthlessness of predatory corporations.

What this “tack-on” rider shows is how desperate, how vile, how evil the Republicans in Congress are. What must happen from now to 2016 is we must vote out every last damned Republican.

2. Jasper says

Further proof that Republicans are evil. There’s no way that Democrats will pass a bill that slits the throats of union memberships.

This amendment is designed to torpedo ENDA and pit factions of the Democratic coalition against each other.

Well played, Republiscum.

3. Moz's says

it will be stripped out during the vote

no worries, just a bid by mcconnell to appeal to the teahadists by saying “I tried”

4. RandyW says

The Huffington Post report to which you link, says that they will attempt to do this, not that it’s been done. Unless you have a more recent report, the headline should be corrected so that it’s factually accurate, not a lie.

5. Scott says

I agree with Jamal49, I believe ENDA is proper and just, but throwing my working friends off the cliff. Next thing we will see happen would be an amendment attached to a completely unrelated bill severing companies from having to adhere to the ENDA rules and regs. WE MUST VOTE these congress critters out of office.

6. Alex Parrish says

Its a poison-pill. Republitards are desperate to circumvent equality — for racial minorities, ethnic minorities, women, LGBT, immigrants, anyone who is not a white protestant male. This sickens me. We need to show-up at the polls in our next election and throw these cretins out of office.

7. Steve says

Why is such BS even allowed? I don’t get why the US dares to lecture any other country about democracy and state building when it has such a fundamentally messed up system of government.

8. capetom says

they will do anything they can to cause problems, the system needs a little fix, vote them out and see the econmey take off and we will have a peaceful country

9. Rich says

Can’t they just do something without trying to hurt people. I’m so sick and tired of these hateful Republican antics.
    I have to say, though, that I feel good that Mark Kirk, the Republican Senator from my home state of Illinois made a speech in favor of ENDA.

10. Randy says

Well, it wasn’t going to pass the House anyway, apparently. If somehow it gets to Obama with this nonsense attached, he should veto it.

11. George M says

I just hope Obama has the guts to veto ENDA if it makes it to his desk with the amendment intact. The act would do even more widespread harm than good if it is made law with that provision attached. We are very intelligent people on the left and there would be little to no blow back on him from the community if he veto’s it based on that amendment and makes it clear that is the reason for the veto. Many members of the LGBT community are also union members. We don’t want to give up rights to gain rights.

12. Jack M says

This kind of practice should be made illegal. Attaching amendents to bills that are totally unrelated is, at best, cheating.

13. MiddleoftheRoader says

YOUR HEADLINE AND THE STORY ARE MISLEADING AND FALSE — PLEASE REPORT MORE CAREFULLY.

The Republicans are “trying” to attach this terrible provision onto ENDA — it takes a vote of the full Senate to do that, and they probably will not prevail.

If you’re going to cover legislative and legal issues, please report more carefully. Although your error here was probably inadvertent, the information is misleading and false. Thank you.

None of the above takes away from the fact that what the Republicans are TRYING to do seems unfair and a “poison pill” to defeat ENDA.

14. Esther Blodgett says

The great “unsaid” is the sheer quantity of gay people who work on Capitol Hill. I wonder what these Senators’ staff members think of this.

15. Lee says

Who cares got to get it passed most states already are right to work states unions are evil and need to be curtailed

16. says

As Moz’s and Middle… pointed out, an attempt to attach a poison pill is just that, an attempt. Very hard to imagine, as the HuffPost points out, that the Republican shenanigans will fly in the Senate. The wingnut House is another story …

17. I wont grow up says

There is a reason unions only make up 6.6% of the work force. They have outlived their usefulness and have destroyed and driven overseas, more manufacturing sectors than any other entity.

18. KC says

The words of Niemöller (which vary slightly depending on the recounting) immediately come to mind. We all have to stand together for what is right, and against what is wrong. Simple as that.

“First they came for the communists, and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.

Then they came for the socialists, and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.

Then they came for me,and there was no one left to speak for me.”

‘Nuff said.

19. JohnAGJ says

Haven’t read the rider so can’t comment on that, but I’d say call their bluff and send it to the House. They’ll tie themselves in knots over this backfiring and having to torpedo it themselves because they don’t support ENDA.

20. Mike says

Unless I’m severely mistaken, this article is NOT ACCURATE. The Republicans are proposing the amendment–it has not (yet) been attached. And it’s doubtful they have the votes to do that. That said, unions are part of the solution to the problem of income inequality. Collective bargaining contributes to a middle class.

21. E. Carpenter says

Most Democrats are spineless, but they would lose too many elections if they actually voted for this anti-union amendment. It has not been attached to the bill, it has only been proposed by Republicans.